Food Thread

Yes that’s an option, but it sounds so plain. I need to make it a little special, since it’s a birthday. I’ll go through my books tonight.

Red velvet!

That’s not so common here (UK), I don’t know what they’ll think. I’ll come up with a few options and you’ll help me chose :grin:

red velvet is just red chocolate

OK sorry this took a bit long

I’ll probably frost with ganache, because I’m really bad at cake decorating, and I can just peel it off from my piece.

The nominations are:

• vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream filling
  • chocolate cake with caramel filling (rip me)
  • spiced pumpkin cake with orange buttercream (it’s spring here but I’m not a conformist)
  • orange choc chip cake with Grand Marnier syrup and orange butter cream

Last one is the only one I’ve already made once and come out very nice. Orange + alcohol make chocolate tolerable. My vote is for it, because I know I can do it. Or the vanilla and strawberry one but I need a trial run of the filling.

Let me know!

Options are on now :wink:

The vanilla with strawberry filling sounds really yummy :yum:

Spiced pumpkin cake sounds good!

If alcohol is permitted, go for the last one, I’d say òwó

I nominate the spiced pumpkin.

First 2 sound awfully sweet, 3rd doesn’t particularly sound tasty. I vote the 4th one.

OwO!!!

That’s exactly why you’re not invited.

But… but… everybody is invited as long as they don’t say chocolate. Chocolate option is there to weed out people with horrible taste in food

I’ll give you an update in case you’re all holding your breath :wink:

The strawberry buttercream is actually a mousseline (butter+ Italian meringue + fruit puree). Looking at the recipe I remembered that I failed at it in 2004 and gave up since. So decided to give it a try. Here the result with and without strawberry. I’ll keep it on the counter all day just to see if it holds up, then I’ll probably make the cake tonight, and another batch of this tomorrow night for the cake to be ready on Tuesday. It’s not overly sweet.

never. Perish

That’s quite the interesting birthday idea.

That’s non work appropriate caramel sauce :blush:

The project has suffered a serious setback: this afternoon a cat bit me, so my right hand is infected and sore.
Cats are adorable but they literally eat shit everyday and that’s inside me now. Not happy.