Forum Suggestion: Make the reply bubbles appear all the time

Currently from what I can tell a reply bubble only appears if the the person is replying to a comment at least two comments back. This has caused confusion for me when I am reading replies as I cannot tell if the reply is to the topic as a whole or to the person right above them. It also causes confusion when I am replying to someone above me and there is no reply bubble, causes me to think I pressed the wrong reply button.

So easy solution make it so you can see who a person is replying to on every reply post.

reply reply reply reply

Sorry don’t have push or anything on this computer, no screenies.

Edit: We did it! the reply bubble now always shows!

Forum Feedback Category

Agreed.

As an example, I am replying to my last post but it doesn’t show that I am.

Example this is a reply to uni but it will not show the reply bubble up here

well nvm now this is a reply to the one two places back because uni is mean

Now I am replying to my first post, which is 2 posts back, so it does show that I’m replying to myself.

Irritatingly there’s no style based fix for this. I’ve had a look and the only indicator of any reply in the generated HTML and attributes is the reply indicator itself.

I’ll add this to my lovely long list of things to look into.

Pretty sure this is a bug the Discourse team is aware of. I swear i’ve seen it in passing on their forum.

There is a thread where Jeff Atwood talks about it here.

This is now a site setting, so if you want reply indicator to show up in all cases, flip it on for your Discourse instance. Problem solved.

That’s a quote from Jeff above, I dunno how to quote it from the page.

Edit: Shatter beat me to posting this quote :frowning: Shatter is mean

You say that like I should know about it! I feel like you’ve been searching for this since I posted haha

@doc

This is now a site setting, so if you want reply indicator to show up in
all cases, flip it on for your Discourse instance. Problem solved.

I don’t think it would be too noisy on our forum

See? The same problem happened here; I was replying to @Doc but you thought I was replying to you in a sassy manner.

And no, I just searched it when I remembered Docs post, that there was a discussion somewhere already.

Thought it was a reply to me cause I got a notif :stuck_out_tongue: but that’s cause i’m post creator haha. So much confusion

I wondered already about that, kinda confusing

Yeah, I don’t agree with the Discourse guys at all on the default setting for this item.

@mreyeball, could you flip this setting so that using the Reply button on the last post actually replies to that post and not the OP. Without this setting it behaves just the same as the blue Reply button at the bottom does. Thanks!

Done

I made a change in the forums today :smiley: I feel proud!

Forum Changelog

test

[woot]

Thank you kind sailor!

Add it to the forum change log?

No.

Maybe.

Possibly maybe.

Great this happened. I’m just gonna cry over the fact that I suggested it earlier, but got ignored :cry: