Getting hacked twice in 6 months

I play on two computer at home, both are windows. I play on Flash Player Projector on the www.realmofthemadgod.com/client link

A few months ago, someone messaged me and told me I was following then for several hours a few days ago, when I had been at a boy scout camp. I proceeded to change my password and thought that would be the end of things. I looked today and I was kicked from my guild because they have a video of my multiboxing on someone. I don’t know how this could have happened since I changed my password and didn’t tell anyone about it. Has anyone else had experiences with being hacked? What can I do to make sure my account doesn’t get hacked again

Well from what I’ve seen over my years of playing realm is people usually only get hacked by playing on illegal sites or by using hacked clients. Other than making your password more secure you can’t do much. You could try contacting deca and change your account to a different email possibly if you remember your security questions. I’d also check to make sure they don’t have access to your email account so that they aren’t changing your password back.

I definitely didn’t use any illegal sites or hacked clients, so do you know if it is possibly due to realm generally just being not super secure, or my email might be compromised

I mean it’s possible that they could have gotten your email. Have you ever exposed any of your credentials to the community before via Skype discord steam or whatever. The only other thing that it could be is that but I highly doubt it. Again my best advice would be to change not only your realm password but your email password and if problems still consist I would look at asking deca to change your primary email to a new one and make sure the new email password has no correlation to any of your old ones. Also keep an eye out for email requests to change your password that you did not authorize.

Hey, you probably don’t me know well since I haven’t seen you on much, but I’ve been in the guild for a bit more than a month and am an officer right now. I just have a few questions, can you please answer to the best of your abilities?

Why do you still have access to your account after being hacked?
Do you know why anyone would want to hack your account specifically?
Why would this potential person hacking your account just be using a follow bot and not do anything else?
Do you have any way to prove you’re innocent?

Thanks.
PS Sorry for all the edits

do you play on any smaller pservers or such?

likely possibilities are, you didn’t change your password much and it was easily acquired by the hacker (don’t add a 1 to the end and think you’re safe), your passwords and email were leaked by some website along with those of other people, you used a hacked client and got hacked, or you did these things yourself and want to try to clear your name to get back into your old guild (or had someone else do it, “video of multiboxing” could probably include those sketchy whitebag farming services)

In theory, as there is no such thing as perfect security. But if Realm were at all insecure we would know about it. There would be mass dumps of player data, or hackers would be able to pick off accounts of their choice, whether the most valuable ones or the most visible ones.

So if you have been hacked twice it is almost certainly a problem with your personal security. Not your e-mail which is normally considered public, but your password. The main ways your password gets misused is:

• a poor choice of password which is easily guessed
  • re-using the same password on multiple sites
  • malware such as a keylogger stealing passwords

There is a fourth way which is sites pretending to be official sites to steal your password. But that would be hard to do with a Flash game, I’ve only heard of it with bank sites, etc.

Regarding account security: even if you are playing on official sources, there are still methods in which your account may be compromised.

If you have used the same email and password in other places, it’s possible that one of those sites can have suffered a breach and thus your email/password combo is floating around the internet somewhere (https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a good site for checking if your email was involved in a breach). In general, don’t use the same password everywhere, try and use different passwords.

Malware such as keyloggers can expose your password to a malicious individual, and you can get them from something as innocent-looking as a file attachment that malware was in. I think this is the most likely situation here, since you said you changed your password but your account was still compromised. I would run an antivirus scan to see if you can dig it out and get rid of it. Wait until you know the malware is gone before you change any of your passwords, otherwise changing your password won’t help.

The compromised email theory does not pan out, since OP was able to log in, using an existing password, after a claimed incident. So the hacker in question did not simply reset the password. Especially after the hacker in question was able to login after OP personally changed the password, this eliminates a ton of scenarios. This rules out PServers, as a password change would not be reflected on other servers.

1. If we assume complete innocence, then you are likely actually dealing with a hacker. We’re not talking about someone who uses a hack client. I mean, the programming variant. From trojans to keyloggers, your entire computer, nay, your entire digital presence could be compromised.

Seeing how you’re not complaining of identity theft, and you were merely being toyed with on realm, on multiple occasions, the next few scenarios seems more plausible.

1. You continuously use a hack client with a viral payload.
  2. You account share, and other individuals use a hack client with a viral payload.
  3. You have trusted someone, and downloaded content from a discord or forum, which had a viral payload, that was not necessarily a hack client. Anything from a photo to a song could have secretly ran lines of code.

Finally, if we assume the worst in you:

1. You actually just use hacks. That’s it. End of story. This forum post is meant to devilify you.

If you seek solutions, I have provided them below. Each number corresponds to each scenario:

1. Save your important data to a hard drive, then carefully scan that hard drive on a secondary computer, without granting that portable hard drive any access to your secondary computer, as to not potentially infect it. Once you have guaranteed that your data is not infected, completely format your primary computer, and then restore your data. This will ensure that the hacker cannot re-hack your computer from a boot loader / registry edits. If you’re on windows, your product key should be tied to your motherboard. If you’re on a mac, your OS is tied to your apple account. If you’re on linux, you should already be intelligent enough to deal with this. No offense to you, but linux users are already tech savy. Moving forward, get actual protection, like Malwarebytes. None of this Norton or McAfee crap. Don’t trust shady sites, etc.

2. Follow the solution for scenario 1 & 5.

3. Follow the solution for scenario 1. Cut account access from your friends.

4. Follow the solution for scenario 1. And get Malwarebytes, even the free version.

5. Cease hacking. As Deca moves away from their Unity port, their next focus is going to be security, especially after recent events. If you truly don’t care about your account, this game, and your fellow community, then by all means, I can’t stop you with simply words on a screen.

From what you say, it doesn’t look like you got hacked, but instead maybe someone else at your home is using your account.

Do you log out every time you leave the computer? Is there someone else at your home that plays rotmg? A brother perhaps?

Hi Bokonon yeah ive seen u on sometimes im kinda inactive rn cuz school started.
I still have access i guess cuz they didn’t change the password.
IDK why anyone would want to hack me cuz idk anyone who play irl or anything.
If they hack my account they could idk use it to resell for rwt or smt.
ik there are things like that.
I have pretty much no screenshots cuz i can’t seem to remember how to screenshot whenever i need it.
i mean i used to play a lot and i used to die all the time but I haven’t died recently cuz i got a good ppe going.
what would be eveidence i havn’t hacked

i just checked the website and frick. It says found on 3 websites. how to submit a image

Bokonon i do have a picture i just got now that my email has been compromised i can send it in the discord as evidence

And as I’ve already explained in detail, a compromised email cannot explain away your situation. By your own words, you have stated that you reset your password, and was observed hacking after the fact. Updated passwords are not viewable through emails, so even if someone had access to your email, they could not use the same password that you use to login, since you were able to login before and after a specified incident.

and don’t forget most hackers who get their hands on those emails will try to get credit card credential, not rotmg accounts lol

If you read my previously reply here, Getting hacked twice in 6 months

You would see that I already covered that in situation number one, and the transition to numbers two, three, and four.

I thought you meant a rotmg hacker, but imo, the didyougetpwned website is about real hackers, and real hackers don’t care at all about rotmg account, hence why I said that.

In any case, I still believe if he really got “hacked”, it’s just a sibling going on the computer, and most likely he doesn’t log out when leaving the computer (who does that lol), hence why password change does nothing.

i agree with heyitswii, it seems likely you used either a hacked client or a webbased hacked client which caused personal info to be lost. although its kind of funny and odd that a hacker would log onto a rotmg account just to multibox and play. you shouldve been cleaned out of any items that were tradeable and possibly have any and all characters killed. i hate to be “that” guy but i am kind of thinking you were caught hacking and are trying to come up with a way to hide your tracks and look like it wasnt you. the whole thing doesnt seem likely to happen. why ROTMG of all things and not any of your other accounts such as fb, email, etc etc.

but then again i could be wrong, its happened before.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
this shit is cracking me up. dude should just admit to hacking and then promise to not do it again and apologize for making a mistake. everything he has said and the way he is going about it is shady. 100% agree with you.

why would you think that o.O It just record the big leaked database, why would that be a scam?