Guide: Fame Bonuses for your everyday Character

A (not so, oops) quick guide on fame bonuses and how to get the most fame out of your constant dying with the least amount of inconvenience:

First things first, when in nexus, you can click on the little blue button with an i in it next to your fame count on the top left,

there you see all relevant info on fame bonuses - which ones you will currently get on that character and what you have to do for them. You’ll also see your accuracy, monster- and god kills, quests completed, party member level ups, tiles uncovered and which dungeons you have already completed. Use this info to feel good about yourself… or to get an overview over what still has to be done for the next easy fame bonus when you feel like grabbing a bit of easy fame.
You can also reach this overview by clicking on the fame icon next to each character in the character selection screen.

The fame bonuses don’t all give the same amount of extra fame. Some give only 5%, some 10%, some even 25%! They get added in a really nice, cumulative way, so that each subsequent bonus calculates off of your current total fame, instead of your base fame, which in the end means even more fame for you. But that doesn’t really matter for the purposes of this guide, because they all give at least some amount of extra fame, and it is generally much more important how hard they are to achieve and maintain. So we will focus on that instead.

If the name and ingame description aren’t enough for you to guess what a certain bonus actually means, please go ahead and read up on it at https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/fame-bonuses . I won’t go out of my way to explain what a certain bonus actually means here, so if you get confused along the way, go and read up there!

With the basics out of the way, here is a short list of how easy I consider the bonuses to be achievable on an average character. I take playtime into account here, since some bonuses will just be achieved by accident over time, but require you to survive long enough to get there, while others usually require you to actively work for them, but can be achieved much faster if you are dedicated enough. Thus, this list is the result of a mixture of different criteria and will change for each player depending on skill level and preferred play style. It should only serve as a basic point of orientation. Detailed commentary on every fame bonus (why it is ranked where it is ranked, and how to achieve it in the most effective way I know) follows afterwards.

1. Well Equipped
  2. Thirsty
  3. Friend of the Cubes
  4. Accurate
  5. Enemy of the Gods
  6. Sharpshooter
  7. Sniper
  8. Explorer
  9. Tunnel Rat
  10. Oryx Slayer
  11. Team Player
  12. Cartographer
  13. Slayer of the Gods
  14. Doer of Deeds
  15. Leader of Men
    Not included: Mundane, Boots on the Ground, Pacifist, First Born, Ancestor (as these don’t have anything to do with playing on an average character. The first three just interfere with normal gameplay too much, the last two will just happen on very few of your characters and don’t have anything to do with gameplay itself).

1. Well Equipped
Not much to say here. You will always have the bonus. If you want it to be higher, equip fancier items. But you should probably just go with the equipment fits your play style the best (and that you can afford) and not pay too much attention to this bonus.

2.Thirsty
Yes, I ranked this the basically easiest to get and maintain bonus. Feel free to disagree. I admit that it limits you in one big way – you can’t carry around extra hp/mp pots in your numbered inventory slots and drink them quickly. However, this limit will only be felt by those few pro players that want this extra edge for their difficult endgame adventures. The average player should do fine with the 6 pots from the dedicated hp/mp pot storage.
Maintaining this bonus also makes using consumables more complicated and you might elect to forego the trouble of having to pay attention to this bonus all the time, but that also means you will loose out on a hefty 25% bonus to your total fame. If you get used to it, maintaining this bonus will hardly be an inconvenience to you anymore. And here is how it is done:

1. Drink stat pots either directly when you loot them from the ground, by shift+left clicking them in their loot bag, or throw them to the ground (so they create their own bag) and shift-drink them from there. You can also shift-drink them directly from a vault chest. This means buying potions in masses to max a new character is slightly more troublesome, as you have to either throw the newly bought potions to the ground, or drag them into a vault chest first, but hey, 25% more fame! :wink:
  2. Use the same technique for buffing-consumables. Just throw them to the ground and use them from there by shift-clicking them. That way, you can still pop your dex diffusions in the Void without loosing your Thirsty.
  3. Certain consumables (like cosmetics) don’t remove Thirsty, even when drunk directly from your inventory. For a list, check out https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/thirsty .
    There is not much more to say about this bonus. Drinking pots takes a little longer, but the time hardly adds up to the extra time you’d have to spend getting the extra base fame or more difficult fame bonuses to make up for not having the Thirsty bonus.

3. Friend of the Cubes
Maintaining this fame bonus is usually even less of an inconvenience than Thirsty. All you have to do is not shoot when close to the beach or close to the Cube God event. It will most likely mean you will never get that precious Dirk of Cronus Whitebag that some many players seem to have the hots for – but hey, if you are feeling like taking risks, you can actually still do Cube God Events. Just don’t kill any of the small cubes and don’t land the last hit on the Cube God. Although, considering how fast those mean little cubies fly around, I usually elect to just ignore the event, as it is likely that sooner or later one of those things will just run itself into my blade.
Note that killing reskinned cubes (during holiday events for example) usually also revokes the bonus. If your pet kills a cube, that does not revoke the bonus, so don’t let this discourage you from getting an electric pet. :slight_smile:

4. Accurate
If you leave auto-fire toggled off most of the time, you will most likely be able to maintain the 25% accuracy required for this bonus just through regular playing. However, if not, here is the easy way to increase your accuracy while being semi-afk: tutorial accuracy farming. You will most likely have to apply the same technique to get the Sharpshooter and Sniper fame bonuses, just for a longer amount of time.

1. Ideally, use the browser version for accuracy farming. Clients work as well, but your character will stop shooting once the client window goes out of focus or you go into your options (It will continue the shooting animation, but there will be no shots fired). Thus, if you still want to use your computer while accuracy farming, use the browser version. If you don’t have log in details (because you are playing on a Steam account for example), you can write a nice ticket to the Deca support team, asking to get an email address linked to your Steam account. I did this and can confirm that they do this and that it is a really easy process. You will also still be able to play on that same account through Steam, so there is no negative side to it at all!
  2. If you have the vault space, store items there that are especially good for accuracy farming. Those are: piercing weapons, multishot weapons, high fire rate weapons and dex increasing items. Very obvious and easy to get choices for that are: Exa or UB Dex Ring, Bone Dagger, Pixie-Enchanted Sword, Coral bow, Staff of Esben (though VERY hard to pull of the positioning with this, might just be better to go for a Staff of Extreme Prejudice, or of course, if you are lucky enough to get one, a Staff of Unholy Sacrifice)
    It also makes sense to only do accuracy farming once you have maxed that character’s dex, unless you don’t plan to drink any dex on that character, but still want the fame bonus. Or you just have nothing better to do.
  3. Once you are correctly equipped, type /tutorial into the chat. You will be transported to the tutorial. Then, walk to where the first shooting turrets are. There should be a nice, comfy niche with two of these turrets directly to your right when you reach this point. If you have an armor equipped and are level 20, you shouldn’t even need a pet to be able to tank their shots indefinitely, a healing pet just seals the deal. Now, depending on your weapon, you will want to stand in different places.
    If you don’t have a piercing weapon, you can just stand in front of the two turrets and shoot at them, no more finesse required. For EP, snuggle up to the turrets really close and play around with your camera angle a bit. You should be able to hit all your shots most of the time if you find the right position – some will still miss from time to time. Therefore, this staff isn’t perfect for accuracy farming, but it can probably get you to close in at 85%, which is enough for all three accuracy related fame bonuses.
    If you are using a piercing weapon, you will want to stand in a corner, pressed up against one of the two turrets, and point your weapon in angle such that the shots hit the turret your are pressed up against, but also the other turret behind that one. Rotating your screen might help for this. If you have only one shot, like with Katanas, Bone Dagger and Wands, this should be pretty easy to do. With Coral Bow it is also pretty easy, because of the small shot spread. With Staff of Esben, you have to try around a bit, and will have to settle for hitting one shot on both and one shot on only one of the turrets. Something similar might be the case for a three-shot bow (I haven’t tried one yet, because I always had Coral Bows at the ready).

If you are not sure whether you have found the perfect position for your weapon, try doing a practice run – look at your shots fired and shots hit before entering the tutorial, get into position, shoot for a minute, then go back to character selection and see if shots hit has increased by the desired amount in proportion to shots fired.
  4. Once you have found the perfect position, just move your cursor out of the game window (in browser) without changing the direction of the shots, and you are free to do on your computer what ever you want. Minimizing the tab will help prevent you from accidentally re-entering the game window with your cursor and messing up your shooting direction. Just note that you will have to come back to your character every 15-19minutes and either move it or press spacebar (use its ability), because the game will disconnect you for being afk after 20minutes otherwise.
  5. That’s basically all you need to know about accuracy farming. Remember that you can “store up” good accuracy, meaning that after shooting for a looooong amount of time your accuracy will increase much more slowly, but it will also decrease much slower when you are out and about, missing shots again. Especially if you don’t have a piercing weapon for your class, accuracy farming is all about getting the shot amount in general up, so that the amount of missed shots makes up a smaller percentage of your total shots fired. Just don’t overdo it, after all, you only need 75% accuracy for the complete fame bonus.
    Also, don’t let anybody tell you that this has been “fixed”, it is still very much possible to farm accuracy in the above manner in the tutorial, just as it was 6 years ago, when the technique already was popular. Thus, it is extremely unlikely anything about this will change before the unity launch.

Edit: Another method to quickly increase your accuracy that people in the comments have suggested is to shoot at the walls in Oryx’s castle with a weak piercing weapon for like 10minutes. Just make sure that no stray minion is gonna come and get you while you are not paying attention!

5. Enemy of the Gods
This bonus is a little tricky. Depending on what kind of activities you prefer, it will either be very easy for you to maintain this, or a grind. It helps to avoid killing unnecessarily. So, if you are rushing a dungeon where you might just as well let the enemies live – do so. When traversing low, mid and highlands, consider letting those little creeps live to see another day (they will get revived by Oryx once the realm resets anyways).
Don’t let these fame bonuses put you in danger, though. A little bit of extra accuracy and a few less enemies killed are not worth getting popped by a UDL trap, or being overrun by demons in an Abyss. :wink:

6. Sharpshooter
See → 4. Accurate for info on how to achieve this.

7. Sniper
See → 4. Accurate for info on how to achieve this.

8. Explorer
If your character survives moderately long, it should get this bonus just from playing normally. Alternatively, you could equip a spd ring and maybe a speedy giving ability and run along the roads of a realm. This is very boring though, and it takes more than one full round along the outer road of a realm to get this bonus, which is surprisingly long. It is also only a 5% Fame bonus according to realmeye (I am not sure about that though, as the calculations on the fame bonuses wiki page don’t match the numbers the game shows you ingame. This is definitely not more than a 10% bonus, though.) I recommend not actively going for this bonus, but to instead just be happy once you achieve it through normal play.

9. Tunnel Rat
This is a neat little achievement you can target once you have completed a Manor of Immortals, an Ocean Trench and a Tomb of the Ancients. I wouldn’t recommend actively pursuing it before that point, as it is more luck than skill to find one of those three dungeons. You should make it a habit to exit a dungeon through the Realm Portal that the boss spawns, though, because only then the dungeon is counted as completed for the purposes of this fame bonus (and the dungeon tracking tab in your fame overview).
You can check your fame overview window at any time to see which dungeons this bonus requires and which dungeons you have already completed (go to the dungeons tab and check if there is still a 0 next to the required dungeons).

If you notice that you are only missing for example Pirate Cave, Forbidden Jungle and Spider Den (the three most common offenders for long lived characters), it might be worth to invest 10minutes into finding and completing those dungeons for an easy 10% fame bonus.

10. Oryx Slayer
This bonus comes down to mostly luck. But keeping in mind that this bonus exists might make you think twice if it is worth your time to solo/ duo that Oryx if you ever find yourself in such a situation where you have the opportunity to do so.

11. Team Player
This marks officially the end of the fame bonuses that you are likely to get without living for a VERY long time or taking part in some rather niche activities. Sadly, “Party Member Level Ups” refers to only those level ups of players who got a level up through the EXP of a monster that you killed (got the last hit on). If you are not fame training, or patiently helping a buddy who just constantly dies and needs to relevel, then this is unlikely to exceed 100 in a normal character’s lifespan.

12. Cartographer
Take the things I have said about the Explorer fame bonus and multiply them by four - except for the actual fame bonus, that stays at 5 (or 10?)%. -.-

13. Slayer of the Gods
50% of all monster kills should be god kills? Well have fun grinding that. If you really enjoy god land farming, I guess you can go for it, but it is really inefficient. Lost Halls is much more time efficient when farming for Base Fame, and dungeon running is much more efficient when farming for potions and white bags. If you so happen to notice that your decently high base fame character has almost as many god kills as monster kills, you might consider running around in god lands for a bit until you have your god kill count high enough, but it is unlikely this will ever happen to you.

14. Doer of Deeds
1000 quests is A LOT. Unless you are a regular realm closer AND put effort into completing as many quests as possible once you have closed the realm (since you get offered “weak” monsters close to you as quests then), you will have to survive an eternity with your character to get this bonus just by normal playing. It’s not worth trying to farm this, seriously.

15. Leader of Men
This bonus has the same problems as the Team Player fame bonus, but tenfold. Good luck ever achieving that.

16. Mundane, Boots on the Ground, Pacifist
Although these fame bonuses are not on the list above, I want to say a few things about them. You may decide to make a character dedicated to one or two of these fame bonuses, it is a pretty hefty 25% bonus each after all. Note that you will miss a sizable portion of the game if you decide to play without an ability, teleportation or attacking, though. You should only consider it if you are really bored (though I think there are better things to cure boredom), if you consider your class’s ability really useless in the current state of RotMG (Assasin * cough * ) for Mundane, or if you want to make a character that is only dedicated to Void runs for Boots on the Ground (and Mundane if your LH discord is okay with that).
Pacifist is just pointless famewise, as the three accuracy related fame bonuses give more fame combined and can’t be achieved at the same time as Pacifist.

There you go, congrats if you actually made it through all of this. Now it is on you to decide which of these bonuses you think is actually worth your time and effort. I just hope I made the decision a little easier for you. :slight_smile:

Somehow I feel like this guide may go out of date fairly soon.

I’d be happy to have to redo the whole thing if that meant we’d finally get the unity update. I wrote this guide primarily for my guildies, so I know there is at least some people making use of it right now. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the guide, though. :slight_smile:

I would like to mention that it is extremely easy to train accuracy by shooting at the strong 3D walls leading to the Stone Guardians at Oryx with a piercing weapon, since each shot will be counted as over 500% accuracy when aimed correctly. Butter Bow is the best item for this purpose, I can maintain over 120% accuracy by farming accuracy every once in a while even though I know I am usually only around 35% accurate.

imo, Leader of Men is theoretically easier to get than Slayer of the Gods, considering you can’t lose it on accident.
It does take way longer to achieve, so I can see why you placed it lower.

Also yay, more love for the Thirsty page I created :'3

As said above.

Boots - too much of a hassle to keep. (You lose this and mundane on trick or rogue with plane | or when u enter oryx mayhem)
Mundane - You can equip ability and unbind the key but shift click exists.

Leader of men is super trash to get with XP gain rebalance - gl on that with melees. And if u want to level peeps in lowlands/midlands - RIP your god kill ratio.

Shooting walls in Castle is the best way to farm with piercing weapons - get a t0 wand stand there for like 10 mins = ez 400% if not more.

Pacifist is out as enemy+slayer beats that alone.

First born youll basically get it once when you set it really high (Im at 40K so only hunty will get it)

Explo is 5%, carto is also 5%

Cube friend is a total bullshit to keep as Cube God can spawn on top of you or anywhere close so if u have any range/ability hell even auto-shoot enable ull lose it (happened once to my knight in like 3 years of playing)

Most important one to keep here is thirsty (since its frist) - you lose it - then even with all bonuses ull go down to 430% (this is like 530%) Items have a description and #1 tell is - >Potion< under description
be it tinctures/effusions/consumables stay away form these as much as possible

Dunno if I forgot something.

Also about this rework thngy I wonder if it will apply to only new characters or all chars (even ones that existed before rework).

This was true at first, but has been patched and the teleporter square no longer counts as a standard teleport, (source) so you should be able to preserve Boots in dungeons like MG Mayhem now.

There’s luck involved but it’s far from totally random. Because it’s the last shot, not total damage, using a weapon with high fire rate, even at the expense of DPS, helps, as does anything that boosts dex. Range and piercing help you ensure your shots can hit when he is about to die.

If there’s only a few people and no knight so no-one can get close then you have a few other ways to improve your chances. A well timed ability use can deal the killing blow. Lobbing a couple of poisons can do the trick, as they do damage a number of times, multiplying your chance. Or if you are pretty sure he is almost dead you can get in close, perhaps taking a few shots, being slowed, knowing you can kill him before you does too much damage. Finally with just a couple of other players you can always ask them to let you get the last shot in, if you need it.

See assasin ability will net you Oryx Kill 100% of the time assuming the poison is active when he dies - thats how its programmed - see it for yourself - in realm when event spawns be it hermid/sphnx/gship whatever bring assa and make sure that your ability is active when it died - youll get oryx shoutout almost always (unless he has the line which doesnt specify your name - Alas, my beautiful Ghost Ship has sunk. etc

Sorc has easier time getting it as scepter actually kills an enemy if it does more dmg than target has hp - spell/shield dont do that (its a feature)

Knight has easiest time soloing o1.

And the best time to get to castle solo is utilizing timezones. Assuming you are playing in prime time when there are 50+ people in realm.

If you’re from EU simply hop over US servers when theres middle of the night and scout how many heroes are remaining (now its easier than ever with the display) - yes soloing castle can be a pain but that 10% is almost always worth it.

What do you mean by that? Sounds like you are able to use your ability by shift-clicking it - that doesn’t work for me, though, not even with untargeted abilities.

Thanks for the commentary on all those bonuses - though it looks like your character exceeds the lifespan of the characters this guide is aimed at by quite a bit. ^.^

Believe it is a warning that even by unbinding the ability key, you could accidentally trigger it with shift-click and therefore lose Mundane. (If you left click with shift held down, while the cursor is somewhere on the screen, this will trigger your ability.)

You are right, I didn’t know that. :open_mouth:

If your group didn’t kill the little oryx eyes (the ones that shoot the quiet bombs) you can let yourself get hit by those - you’ll get weakened, allowing you to farm more accuracy out of the walls.

The only problem with this is you have to close the Realm first, alone if you want to be sure of tackling Oryx alone. If you are lucky it will just take a long time. If you are unlucky you might get an event you can’t do alone. Even if there are a few people in the Realm they might not be interested in helping you do the Avatar or Dragon, or even a Cube or GShip which can be tricky to solo.

Don’t know if I’ve ever solo closed a Realm hoping to do the Castle alone. It more often happens by chance, as the few people who are in Realm leave or die not long into the Castle. After which I might do the Stone Guardians alone, for def pots and chance of an A.S.S., but very rarely do Oryx or O2 as both take too long – I only normally solo them if I end up alone after other people have left too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.