Hacking vs. Scamming in Discords

In light of the recent developments surrounding hacking, I find it puzzling that many of the top discords (Pub Halls, Pub Shatts, SBC) don’t ban scammers(people who legitimately grief players and ruin the gaming experience for other players) as opposed to hackers, people that have an advantage over players, that in most cases don’t directly harm the player experience as much as scamming does. Even some of the RLs (namely a shitty t6 ring) have been exposed for using their positions in the discord for scamming purposes.

While many players continue to heckle DECA for allowing hackers to thrive, scamming has always been a TOS violation that receives lower attention(probably because DECA is lazy af and will never add an in-game marketplace and players have accepted the fact that nothing will change). Scamming is a bigger issue now more than ever before due to the volatile economy forcing players to enact multi-window trades, which allow scammers to earn insanely easy profit.

I understand that many players will point to “play the game and get it yourself” and “find a plug(lmk who it is pls :D) through discords/guilds”. Another argument is that you should always check scammer lists and go first in a trade. While these are all good points, ultimately they fail to adhere to the fact that many players don’t have 3000 hours in candyland, don’t have a plug, the player that they are trying to trade may not be on the scammer list and still be a scammer, and the fact that nobody will go first in a trade unless they can risk it. Heck, even MOONSHOOT the legendary trickster ppe god was recently scammed through a deca trade. While he/she/they/cat may be an insanely rich player, getting scammed is a really shitty feeling and really highlights an issue with the game(mmo with shitty trade experience). While said precautions may be necessary, a permanent solution really resides with the game devs in creating an in-game marketplace. We have been cutting DECA way too much slack on the trading experience, especially since their shitty chest events created an extremely volatile economy which now hosts almost exclusively multi-window trades. The trading experience is also extremely beginner unfriendly( light blue star literally loses their entire fortune to a deca scam), and maybe one of the reasons why realm activity is extremely low.

I guess the reason for the title was to highlight how a situation that is actual griefing(like duping) and harms player experience is hardly addressed by the community(not just the game). Players are encouraged not to make “whine cellars” that complain about scammers(yes I get it, no witch hunts, but people should be allowed to criticize scamming). Some players ridicule others that scamming rests entirely on the victim(for deselect yes, multi no), and that real “gamers” would never get scammed. Almost all active players accept the status of trading and move on. While this could be an acceptable mentality for veteran players, DECA will never become a massive presence in any form if it fails to address trading, nexus botting and duping. It’s really sad that we allow DECA to get away with this shit because their are other issues that they have(making a new dungeon in order to make a chest event) to address. The community really needs to enforce stricter guidelines for scamming in discords in general(with video proof obviously, no witchhunts) if they want to keep a #trading section. The greatest gut punch in realm is knowing that someone can run the same dungeon as you with your stolen loot and face no repercussions because the community doesn’t give two fucks.

I agree, scamming should he dealt with as harshly as hacking.

Theyre testing ideas

Scamming should be dealt with harsher than hacking, hackers do not directly harm players, but scammers do.

Not just scammers, but people who are toxic or people who trolls a lot in a attempt to harm another player should also be dealt with

As much as that’s a decent idea, it’s too subjective what trolling is sometimes. It’s also really hard to detect automatically, so it’ll often have to end up being video evidence or something.

It’s why I quit. Join me today.

“Hacking doesn’t affect you” is complete bullshit, but it’s true that scammers should be dealt with.

It shouldn’t be a “vs” situation, it should be a “both are shit so neither should be tolerated” situation.

I mean it’s certainly a dick move to be a scammer.

But is part of the problem that players are not willing to spend the extra time it takes to sell their Life for intermediary items, to set up a 1-window trade for Decades? Instead putting their faith that they won’t get scammed.

The problem with Deca acting on scammer reports is there is so much subjectivity, and possibility for false reports and fake claims. Even with video, that wouldn’t prove that the other player didn’t come back online later “sorry I got 10 minute disconnection” and give you the other half of the trade. So because it’s always one person’s word against the other, that’s why Deca can’t really enforce any action against scammers, unlike hacking/cheating which is something clearly proveable in many cases.

Thats usually not bad when you can buy a ubhp for 8 life and a deca for a ubhp+~4 life.
Nowadays you have to give around 4 exa hp and 4 life. Not many people sell exa hp compared to ubhps, and not many people will buy them for an expensive item either.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.