How do you prototype a dungeon in docs, + a bad dungeon idea

I’m fairly new to realm, but I have been reading through some dungeon ideas and thought they were really cool. With this whole pandemic thing, I have a lot of time and want to try making one of my own, because it looks fun. Is there software for the pixel art, or some kind of prototype to make dungeons? I have an idea I want to flesh out.

My rough idea-

Back in oryx’s days of glory, (before he was a drunken slob yelling insults from his castle) he loved punishing anyone who dare defy him. He had constructed a towering black fortress with twisting spires and eerie lights shining from the windows titled simply, The Asylum. Anyone who stood up to him was thrown in this horrible nightmare of a prison, cursed with immortality so they could suffer forever. Horrible deformed creatures guard these doomed prisoners. After hundreds of years, (and much wine) oryx forgot he had constructed this and it was lost from the records, and his memory, forever. Or was it? One day in the realm a band of ghostly prisoners wearing shreds of what may have once been clothing drag themselves of of a gaping portal. “Help, help, anyone…” “they are coming…” My idea is that this could be an event dungeon where you go through and help free the cursed prisoners who help you get through the asylum, and eventually you rid the cursed building of the evil plaguing it. The bosses would have a ridiculous amount of hp and you need to open the cells of the trapped prisoners to help you fight. They will retreat and make it so you have to deal damage and the wont just do all the fighting for you. the final boss is the corrupted warden. After a grueling battle the asylum is free of evil and is little more than crumbling ruins. The prisoners lead you to the vault, where reward chests have the possibility to drop the loot they themselves where carrying when they were caught.

whew, that was a lot. Anyway, any tips on how to prototype would be much appreciated.

Your idea seems similar to my own concept. I love how you’re adding the new feature of NPCs aiding the players in the battle.

As for the pixel art software, I personally use Piskel, since it’s done through online (you can also download the app, which works in places without WiFi). It lacks a few QOL features like outlines and such, but it gets the job done. Animations and keyframes are another thing Piskel supports, so it’s great if you’re going to go in-depth with this project.

Super curious on how this will turn out! Best of luck!

I didn’t know you had a similar concept, id love to see what you did, and possibly make mine more unique, thank you for the Piskel tip!

You probably won’t have to worry about originality because of three things:

• Your dungeon seems to have a very dark and grim color theme (black, gray, maybe red), while mine is more based around blue and white.

• My idea has a completely different mechanic and is a bit similar to the Shatters in the way that there are many bosses in a specific order.

• The concept was planned to released on Christmas last year. As probably assumed by a dungeon delayed by over four months, my idea’s pretty crappy. Also, due to procrastination, it’s probably gonna be another eight months before I release it.

The final thing i cant figure out is how to add a black shadow to my art.I cant get the black shadow around my things, do you know how to do this in piskel?

https://www.realmofthemadgod.com/draw.html

has the shadow, and all the realm palette, yw

In most circumstances, I wouldn’t recommend the RotMG Draw Tool, and for several good reasons:

1. It lacks pretty much every single QOL feature: Shading, Select, Bucket…The list goes on.

2. If you make a mistake while drawing (which happens a ton), there’s no CMD+Z or any shortcut. You’re forced to move your cursor and click “Undo”. It doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but when you actually try it for yourself, you want to CTL+ALT+DEL in frustration.

3. Its animation feature is incredibly confusing and ridiculous. Meanwhile, Piskel has this super comfortable keyframe thing that even lets you duplicate frames (trust me, this is incredibly useful). Its also really easy to use, so even I (someone that has pretty much no knowledge when it comes to pixel art) can manage well.

1. You can’t export/download the sprite. The only way to get it and post it on the forum is to screenshot the thing, which results in the ugly gray background.

If you insist on using the tool, though, and you hate the gray background, go to the Favicon Image Editor and use the Magic Wand Tool to delete the gray.

1. Its way of organizing the colors looks very weird to me. Some don’t mind, but I’m not one of those people.

RotMG Draw: 20%20PM

Piskel: image

But I digress.

@Xvortexgh To answer your question, no. IIRC, there’s no feature in Piskel that implements shadows. You could try your luck with Paint.NET or something, though I’m not sure if it does what you’re asking for.

I probably should have started with this link, but below is a forum thread that I recently discovered. It lists a lot of useful spriting tools that you might find handy.

1. Is it good?
    1. Is it bad?

0 voters

It’d be an interesting concept to have a boss that you can’t defeat. Where like, you need to free all the prisoners before the final boss breaks free of his chains or something, otherwise it’s essentially invincible and kills everyone. I like the concept well enough, but it’d have to be executed extremely well.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.