How to avoid dying to something like the recent ice tomb incident

If you go into a public Ice Tomb that contains upwards of 25 people, of course this is going to happen. And what kind of loot would one expect to get with 40 people in the dungeon anyway? How could you even get a shot in with it jumping around? The answer is don’t bother with it. DECA doesn’t need to hand out dozens of revives to people who don’t use common sense.

Preach it.

It’s common sense to nexus from a dungeon just because it has 40 people in it? I’m sorry but I’ve done plenty of dungeons with upwards of 100 people and got loot so why should I have to leave? It’s not common sense that a couple artifacts are going to instakill you if you stay in a dungeon with a large amount of players. You know what should be common sense though? The game has player caps on dungeons so wouldn’t it be normal to assume if you got into a dungeon it has a safe amount of players?

Deca should fix it not the players. There is a dungeon cap that has been broken forever and isn’t used in the dungeons that are affected by large groups. There is no warning for you unless you spend a lot of time on reddit or realmeye. You get no compensation for a death out of your control when there is even a good chance that there was something on it that made deca money (backpack, st, loot drops, etc.)

I always close my game when I start to rubberband because I learned the hard way of losing characters to it. 9 times out of 10 you get a warning before you die to lag but lods, a couple hidden artifacts, broken tps, and steam crashes are certainly exceptions to that. I have first hand experience with dying to a broken tp or in a lod because you had no indicator that you were rubberbanding while standing behind a pillar. It’s not fun and it most certainly isn’t fair.

I agree that there are reasonable arguments on both sides. By common sense, I meant that if I started to lag that horribly in a dungeon where there are still threatening enemies present, I would likely nexus, and if not, I would understand that I was taking a risk.

While DECA does legitimately try to fix the game, they can’t just “wave a magic wand” and everything will be alright.

Even the newest of players knows this game is permadeath and is able to notice when the game is lagging.

I’m not saying the servers are perfect, but really if you think waiting for a minute in this kind of game without doing anything is a smart thing to do, you deserve to die.

(on a side note: this is exactly why I’m saying permadeath, or at the very least the drop rates for a lot of white bags, is a problem)

A chest spawning is an indicator that the dangerous boss is out of the way and you should not be expected to know that there is a stray enemy left over in a group of 100 people and that such a usually easy enemy can kill all 100 people in 10 seconds because it lagged a bit. It’s not common sense, it’s something you learn from something not associated with Deca (reddit or realmeye) or by experiencing it yourself (already dying unfairly) and should not be expected of the player. I rarely lose a character to lag and I’m sure you don’t either, but I’m sure we both have before we knew better.

I have some reason to side with players, of course. It’s somewhat similar to working in a factory, in the sense that everything is supposed to be up to standards, so even in the worst possible scenario, a machine wouldn’t blow up.

We can say to the volunteer workers that they should’ve ran when the machine is starting to breathe fire, but in the end, the company has some responsibility over the safety of its machines.

That’s true, but I still think going to overcrowded dungeons in the first place is a really bad idea. The most impressive thing about the Ice Tomb Massacre for me is the fact nobody died when the bosses were still alive.

Difference being that nobody is going to die or get horrifically injured if their video game lags like hell. Not to mention the difference between a customer who’s here for his personal entertainment and a worker who’s here because he needs something to put a roof over his head and food on his table.

I’m pretty sure that when an object is stasised, it cannot respond to its environment.

For example, the classic ent mystic troll. If a nature sprite is under stasis when the ent sends the signal to remove their invulnerability, they will never loose it. In other terms, if a sprite is under stasis when the ent say “YOU SHALL DIE” (or “MERRY CHRISTMAS”) it will stay invulnerable forever. That happened a countless amount of time to me.

True. It’s a bad comparison, but it holds. There’s some responsibility on our part, but some on theirs too. The closer comparison would be going into a disneyland attraction, but the point isn’t that you’re losing your life or some hours of grinding or attachment to your character. The point is losing your character to something that wasn’t caused by you(lag). Staying in lag is your fault, yeah, but I’m partial to thinking that there shouldn’t be one in the fist place, or that there should be a safety net in case of these.

A better analogy in this particular situation with the ice tombs is if you brought your wallet into a known area with a high amount of thieves, saw thieves showing up, and then got upset that your wallet was robbed. It’s understandable to be upset, it’s still not fair that there are thieves, but let’s not pretend you had nothing to do with why you didn’t have a decent experience.

- Adariel

That’s a pretty good analogy, actually. The difference now that thieves and lag are different, comparable problems. Especially lag in a game where the developers know there would be one, and even more when some sort of safety net can be put.

What exactly are those safety net? Forced DC when client is lagging for over 3 seconds? Stacked bullets being deleted, while characters are forced to stay at the same place that the server detected them at?

I’m no tech wiz, but I still feel that it still is a really horrible experience (dying from causes that are not intended or designed by the devs, or caused by our own stupidity, etc) that game developers should put more thought into. Perhaps a response saying we’re working on a safety net. Definitely would feel better than the perma-death is an intended part of the experience message.

this is the same thing as saying “do the o-back to home” thing in lod. if you are rubberbanding in a place where you easily die, you should leave. as for this time, its unfortunate. if you notice, the event chest didn’t spawn which means the enemies haven’t been killed yet

working as intended

That is a terrible fucking analogy. Reddit mentality at its finest.

One person says good analogy, lists reasons

Other person says bad analogy, no reason

nice

Do you really want an explanation?

For one thing, comparing the situation to a “dangerous area with high amount of thieves” is essentially equating DECA to thieves. For someone who is so insistent on defending DECA at all cost, that sounds like a really bad analogy.

No lol, it’s comparing the dangerous area to an ice tomb with 200+ people with rubberband

It seems like this community has a strong stigma that if you could have prevented something but didn’t, it’s your fault. I don’t think condemning DECA for what their servers would inevitably struggle with is ok, but I also don’t agree with harshly expecting all players to have the knowledge that these deaths were obvious and predictable.

Yes, it makes sense that there will be huge lag when there are 200 players crowded in the same area - this is something most players have experienced before. However, it is also not intuitive that the possibility of a specific artifact being stasised before this lag will almost guarantee your death.

Ultimately, I don’t think we should unsympathetically blame anyone for these events - they were largely unforeseeable for the victims, and the deaths were simply unfortunate for both DECA and the player base. What we as a community and DECA can do is use this experience as an opportunity to learn and prevent these outcomes in the future - both technically on the developers’ side, and prudently on the players’ side.

As for whether DECA should give out some compensation to the victims? I think a statement is likely, but a complete character revival is out of the question, due to policy and technicalities of how it can affect the rest of the playerbase. However, I think trust is an essential ingredient in a healthy developer-community relationship and we should trust them to make the right decisions keeping all players in mind. Because for now, we have no reason not to.

Right, and it was due to an event announced by DECA who also decided to sell ice tomb keys to hype up the event (and get those $$$) as soon as possible and as much as possible.

EDIT: I wouldn’t be blaming DECA if this was the first time where many people crowded one dungeon due to a special event, but my god this type of massacre still happens in LOD or O2 sometimes during normal gameplay. If they were not expecting this as a result of their event, I guess they forgot about their previous chest event or previous dungeon-opening event experiences.

And the analogy still shows that it’s Deca’s fault, they’re working on the servers, but it’s not something they can do right away.

But if you know the servers are bad, there are enemies and you’re rubberbanding, why would you not nexus, it’s not all Deca’s fault, it’s yours as well.