How To Make Good Posts

Recently, I’ve been seeing a bunch of complaints about getting WCed, and other complaints of ideas getting rejected. So, here is Edwardidk’s guide to making good posts on this forum!

#Rules and Guidelines
Go over this before posting anything, it’s really important if you ever want to be successful on the Forums. Forum Rules & Guidelines

#General
In general, if you want your posts to be good, it has to

1. Start discussion
  2. Be a complete thought out idea
  3. It is obvious that you put effort into the post, whether it’s the creativeness of the idea, or the descriptiveness of your post

One thing I see very often is people trying to close threads that aren’t theirs.
Don’t ask @ moderators to close threads that aren’t yours, unless they voilate the guidelines!

#Avoiding WC
If you get WC’d, don’t blame the incompetence of the regulars and how they are drunk on power, without considering their view of your post. Take time to do some backtracking. Say to yourself, “Why did I get WC’d?” Review your post. Usually, if you are getting WC’d, your post has at least two of the traits below.

1. It does not start any legitimate discussion
  2. It is on the list of topics to avoid (someone help me find the link; I can’t seem to find it!)
  3. The post sounds whiny

#Avoiding Flags
If you want to avoid flags, do the following:

• Avoid controversial topics. These posts can be interpreted the wrong way. Sure, you have freedom of opinion, but if you want to err on the safe side, just avoid them.
  • Attack the idea, not the person. If you’re going to criticize, don’t just blatantly call the original poster stupid, give reasons why their idea is incorrect. Remember, you agreed to be civilized when using this site in the Terms of Service of RealmEye.

#News & Information
Mostly a category for mods for updates to the forums, or cross-posts from Reddit about update information. Not much to say, not much stuff to post here.

#Game Discussion
You can discuss the game, but try not to make short posts that don’t really start discussion. The description of this category is “ON-TOPIC DISCUSSION!”

#Academy
Ask your questions and make your game guides here! But make your posts complete and provide as much information as possible, so that people can actually help/get help from you!

#Community Hub
If you don’t know where to post your game-related stuff, it probably goes here. Events, art, videos, streams, pictures, stories, you name it. If it doesn’t fit in the other categories, post it here!

#Ideas
Oh dear. The dreaded flaming section.

The ideas is like a warzone if your ideas are not thought out and complete, and I can not stress this enough. YOUR IDEAS NEED TO BE THOUGHT OUT, CREATIVE, AND COMPLETE. Also, it must check out with these rules: https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/about-the-ideas-category

If you don’t like being criticized, this section is not for you.

https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/the-beyond-an-endgame-dungeon-by-puffagod/

This is a great example of what the forums want for ideas. Creative, thought out, and complete. IF YOUR IDEA IS NOT COMPLETE, DON’T POST IT!

Also, if you have an idea for an item, remember, debuffs does not equal balanced. If you have 5 debuffs on your item and the item also has like, 6 effects, just start over. It’s not going to be successful if you are that desperate to balance it.

#Guild Recruitment and Inquiries
Follow the templates! Make sure your recruitment posts are as detailed as possible, so that people can instantly decide whether someone can join a guild, instead of having to answer 47 questions in the comments.

#Forum Feedback
Again, completeness. This is not an area to randomly rage at moderators for “unfair flagging” or “bad WCs”. This section should be for legitament ideas that could be implemented into the forums, or a discussion into how the forums work.

#Off-topic
Everything non-RotMG related, this section is really loose. However, https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/forum-rules-guidelines
these still apply!

Overall, the key to making good posts is completeness and how thought out your post is. To be able to make a good post, you must be willing to dedicate the time and effort to make a post.

How did the price of life drop so much?

For ideas?

For the post about things to avoid :wink:

go search up console’s posts

So…
Trofimowen’s forum page?

jk pls

Probably should add a link to the Forum rules and guidlines somwhere there

Done!

That is possibly the worst piece of advice I’ve seen. If you want to avoid flags, just stick to the rules, (which you’ve read, right?) it’s not magic nor rocket science. If the flag was stupid, the mods aren’t going to do anything and you have nothing to worry about. Controversy = Discussion, so don’t shut down controversial conversations.

I’d change this to

if your ideas are not thought out, complete, or don’t follow these rules

Starting controversy is one of the easiest way to get flags though. I’m not saying shut down these conversations; I chose my wording carefully. “Avoid”, not “shut down”. Of course, you can make these topics, but avoiding them is always safer.

@CandyShi On it! Thanks for the help :wink:

:wink:

wait no that’s how I got my first flag um… gotta contribute…

Good luck man, about time someone made this :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t go over this. No wonder.

Huh? No one does this. It’s only after hard self reflection that you can do this.[quote=“Edwardidk, post:1, topic:6536”]
It does not start any legitimate discussion
[/quote]

Should not be WC, I am horribly against this.[quote=“Edwardidk, post:1, topic:6536”]
Avoid controversial topics. These posts can be interpreted the wrong way. Sure, you have freedom of opinion, but if you want to err on the safe side, just avoid them.
[/quote]

Lol wot. I’m sorry, but controversial topics are the only things that really allow discussion since everything that isn’t controversial is universally agreed upon by the community.[quote=“Edwardidk, post:1, topic:6536”]
Attack the idea, not the person. If you’re going to criticize, don’t just blatantly call the original poster stupid, give reasons why their idea is incorrect. Remember, you agreed to be civilized when using this site in the Terms of Service of RealmEye.
[/quote]

You do this a lot, too.

@moderators, want to pin this or nah?

Sounds to me like you either don’t understand the flag system, or you don’t know what “controversy” means.

If you get a flag solely because your opinion is different from others, the people doing the flagging are immature and childish, and you shouldn’t let that hold you back.

And will receive the nulled flags themselves

Aww, I feel so honored to have someone say that all my posts belong in the Whine Cellar.

IMO, I think it’s the exact opposite. People who have not self-reflected assume that they were unfairly treated in some way or another.

It’s in the rules you accepted. If you can’t handle it, use Reddit.

See above:

Yeah, that’s a bad habit of mine, that I plan on changing :wink:

That every topic has to start discussion?

Exactly :wink:

No that you can’t start making threads for absolutely no reason.

for example:

creates thread

text: I lik tortlez

controversy - disagreement, typically when prolonged, public, and heated

Disagreements, when heated, result in people raging and flagging you. I’m not saying this should hold you back, but if you truly want no flags at all, you are better off avoiding those kinds of topics.

That is not a valid reason for a flag, don’t let that hold you back.