How to Make Sprites? (that are usable)

I just wanted to have a blow-by-blow on how to make sprites IN A FORMAT FOR PEOPLE TO USE! That’s the part that stumbles me. Thanks

Define “usable” please.

What kind of sprites arent usable?

I’m guessing by saying ‘usable’ sprite you mean a sprite that’s a fully-fledged game asset, ready for implementation. I doubt many people could outline what requirements a true sprite asset needs to fulfill, so I’d suggest trying to make a sprite that comes as close as possible and could be easily scaled to its final form. To me, that means a ‘usable’ sprite should have its necessary frames in the appropriate resolutions, in an actual file.
For example, for a regular 8x8 character skin, I’d go for 15 frames; 1 8x8 side+front+back rest frame, 2 8x8 side+front+back movement frames and 2 side+front+back attack frames where you might have some 11x8 frames for the side attacks, but otherwise would stick with 8x8.

If you’re looking to make sprites, let me just go ahead and say the RotMG draw tool is pretty awful. Not only does it lack a lot of tools, I don’t think it can export images, so although you might be working in an 8x8 resolution, after you’re done you’ll have to screenshot or (probably manually) convert sprites to other software to store them as files and properly manipulate them. Yeah, it’s clunky, so I’d strongly suggest using a standalone spiriting program such as Aseprite (paid) or GraphicsGale (free) from the start.
Both of these programs facilitate animation so you don’t need to worry about how you’re gonna preview your sprites that way, and the black outline and grey drop shadow integrated into the RotMG draw tool can easily be applied using other software such as GIMP (free) once you’re done with your sprites and want to show them off.

I mean that its already in a format that people can use. And I dont think exporting works anymore.

I assume Deca has access to the raw files of sprites made by the draw tool, but if anyone else wants to use them they have to go through some inconvenient process to extract the sprite because exporting isn’t a feature, which is why I’d stray away from the program.

EDIT: Yeah overall, even if the draw tool had the ability to export sprites, I’d still recommend against it because it’s so limited.

I’m not asking for Deca: im asking for a pserver owner. I would like to make sprites for him, he would like me to make sprites for him, but I can’t find out how to make it in a format that he can extract it and place it into a server

Out of all the post on here there is exactly 1 post that explains exactly how to basically steal any sprite from the draw site, I tested it when I saw it and it worked.

Sadly that’s all IK and it will take a lot of searching to find as I don’t remember any words used in the post.

Tiffits exporting thing is not working anymore.

Edit I’ll find you it

Thanks

1 . Save sprite with a tag of your choosing.
2. Enter this URL into your browser address bar and replace “TAGNAME” with your tag.

https://realmofthemadgodhrd.appspot.com/picture/list?tags=TAGNAME&num=100

3 . Look for your sprite id from the list given.
4. Plug in sprite ID into this url replacing “IDHERE” with your images ID

https://realmofthemadgodhrd.appspot.com/picture/get?id=IDHERE

5 . Right click on the sprite and choose save image as.

Let me know if this helps

Is it a reddit post?

No it was a post here, y?

Those are links to the “database” of the art tool, where you can pull raw sprite sheets that DECA can use.

The thing that doesn’t work is that I save it, and then I try to do that, and it doesnt work, even though its an exact tag

^
|
|

“that” and “that” and “it” doesn’t give me much to work with

I would save my Orange Bag to the tag “orangebag” and then I would do what you said with the copy+paste and replace TAGNAME with my tag, but my Orange bag doesnt pop up.

Maybe give a screenshot of what youre doing, so Shatt can actually help you better?

Save to multiple tags and make at least one tag a random assorment of numbers and letters so it is easier to find.

Okay