How to properly pin threads?

I want to pin several threads to the top of the respective sections. Several of which are topics that show the pin next to them. When I hover over the pin it says “it is not pinned for you, it will appear in normal order,” or something to that effect. I click it, it flips around, and I continue exploring the forums. Next time I come around, though, the pin is flipped back and it is not at the top!

Is there something I do not understand here? How can I actually get the pin to work?

Also, is there a way to pin personal favorite threads to the top of sections for myself?

Thanks!

I feel like pins are not the utility you are looking for here. Generally pins are for moderators to float notices and noteworthy discussions to the top of the category. Discourse unpins threads automatically, I found this happens once you read to the end of the topic. Discourse Devs seem to believe that too many pins create clutter and feel that automatically dismissing them was a good feature. The best discussion I could find of there views was in the slightly related topic here.

As for keeping your favourite threads accessible there are two features you may like to use. There are watching a thread, and bookmarking a thread. Watching a thread notifies you of all replies to a topic, as though you were the original poster. You can watch a thread at the bottom of the thread.

watching3

You can also watch a thread from the reply counter at the side:

watching4

You may also like bookmarking, bookmarking saves a thread to your bookmarks. Which you can find under the activity tab in your profile. The button to bookmark is found above the button to watch a thread.

15 pm

There is a setting you might have wrong:

Completely forgot about this, however I do still hold that this is the wrong option for what the OP wants to do.

Perfect, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.