Ickabod's Steam Punk inspired skin set

So as you have (probably not) been wondering why I haven’t posted any new sprite art in a while, it isn’t because I’m salty about the art contest*… it’s because I’ve been working on this.

A beautiful set of steam punk inspired skins

Give me some delicious comments and critiques.

Also if you’ve looked through the thing I am missing a skin for a few classes. So rather than spending weeks and weeks thinking about what I should do for them waiting for inspiration, I’ve decided to post this to steal ideas from you guys. Also if you think I should change the class of a skin I’m all eyes (because you don’t read with ears).

:sunglasses:

*I am actually still salty

Ohh, boi, here we go
##Brass Man - Warrior Skin
Idle is stoic, pretty cool. For walking, you might want to considering alternating the hands, instead of making both go together. Love the attacking animation for this.

My general concern is the lack of multiple colors. Perhaps you should consider cobalt as secondary color? Or titanium? If we’re looking for light-weight, aluminium should be good.
##Spagyrist - Priest
Oooh, loving the colors of this skin. I like that attacking animation as well. The moving animation’s bobbing up and down is pretty cute too!

You need to pay attention to the wand’s head. Its forward walking animation’s wand head changes color, and the forward idle, walk, and attack’s wand head is lighter than the others (love that booty shake, tho).

One more thing is that perhaps you could consider having the robotic lenses to have a Splinter Cell’s green shine. It looks like a blindfold right now.
##Gentlemen Explorer - Huntress Skin
Ayy, a dapper looking fellow, this is! I like the color and concept, but there are several problems I see…

First, the gun handle. In the idle frame, it looks like it’s not even holding the gun proper. The walking frames looks like a gentleman is swaying his cane left and right because the further hand looks like its gripping over the gun.

However, the attacking animation is where I have the most problem… it looks like the guy is shambling forwards with his knee!

Not to mention, the lore says that the hand is supposed to reduce recoil. Well, it doesn’t look that way anyways.

also, that is one curvy man.
a 3-wide hip sprites just has always been used for female characters as far as I know

##Copper Vulture - Necromancer Skin
Love this skin. I think this is my favorite of all. The colors are nice, and the sickly green pops out very nice. The attacking animation is very nice as well!

##Bombshell - Wizard Skin
I too, love my fair share of smexy machines. I mean, what? I didn’t say that

In any case I find that the Bombshell’s colors are just as lacking as the Brass Man. However, I do like how you animate the gears from the back.

##Madcap Inventor - Sorcerer Skin
I like the colors chosen here. It looks like a pale skinned man that rarely does field work. I think that this skin has potential.

However, I have similar problems to the Gentleman Explorer; the legs. It looks like he’s shambling on his knees! Not only that, but this guy doesn’t really “Hold” his guns, now does he?

##Shulking Sentinel
Ohh, boi! I love the concept of this one, a faceless robotic skin, and I like the colors chosen. Very popping!

I have… some problems. The hips in walking and attacking disappears! Not only that, but the attacking method is inconsistent… as seen if attacking from back or front, she swings it overhead, but she swings it from below in the sideways sprite.

##Spanner Banneret - Knight Skin

At first, I was like

What in the world is this thing?

Then it hit me.

It’s a knight chess piece.

I love it. It does share my same concerns as the Bombshell and the Brass man, but it has enough colors with the eyes, hands and wrench, so it’s not as bad.

My gripe with this one is that it swings its weapon sideways in the side-attacking animation, while the others it swings overhead. However, this is a small nitpick, and I think this is my second favorite, very close to the Copper Vulture.
##Tin Soldier - Paladin Skin
Ahh, a 3-wide skin. A first of its kind, and a spear user! I love the cape swaying when it is attacking and moving, but I have several problems.

First, the head piece’s flat hat looks quite awkward with that one face-colored pixel in the middle.

Second, the attacking animation is awkward… You stab with a spear, as far as I know. This thing looks like its thwacking people with it over the head!

Third, the side-sprite. Why does it have a black pixel besides the eye? It looks like the actual eye, which led to some confusion. It’s a shame that you can’t just shift the eye position for the sideways movement, but I think the placement of that black pixel makes it just that harder to understand a 8x8 sprite.

Fourth, the back-attack animation has the spear’s head going sideways, so it really looks like it is not only thwacking its enemies with its spear, but it’s not thwacking straight!

This is a good contender for my 3rd favorite, though.

##Conclusion
I see a lot of sprites that I like here! Some of them needs work, but they’re all charming, and nice. Good job coming up with 10 sprites.

have some treats for reading until here
:cookie::milk_glass:

Cookies and milk? its not even christmas yet :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Let me tell you a little secret.

Cookies and milk taste good whenever you eat it :smile:

I’ve personally always felt the 3-wide skins to be more athletic rather than purely female with assassin having the romeo and redcoat skin.

As for paladin I completely forgot how spears worked when I made it, lol.

Other than that, I am taking this all into consideration. :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.