Idea For a Dedicated Auction House

Being a long time player of Realm, and starting roughly when the game started in 2011, I’ve had a blast playing with all of the oldies, through thick and thin, and despite how much I end up quitting, I always find a reason to come back. Until just recently, I had been an entirely F2P player, and along with this burden was the tendency to spend countless hours trading away the speed, dex, vit and wis pots that I amassed from all of the easy, non-risky dungeons. Sure, I ran tombs, I ran WC, but any of the really wealthy dungeons such as Lost Halls and Shatters, I tended to stray away from due to a weak pet and lack of storage space to keep backup gear.

Trading is one of the core aspects of realm, but to be quite frank, with the way the game is going, trading seems to be a rather out-dated method of exchanging goods. Realmeye’s offers page attempted to fix this, and it certainly did a great job, but it still has the glaring flaw of only working when other players are online, and even more so, if they bother to log in to yet another web page and go through the process of posting an offer and monitoring it. Because of this, I believe an Auction House is more than appropriate to make ease of trading absolutely simple.

In each of the realms, a Market where you can list items, buy items, etc. should be implemented. Each time a sale is made, all items gained in the transaction will be sent to the gift chests located in the vault. As for the trading itself, players should be allowed to list an item, choose which item they would like to receive in the trade, and how many items they would like to receive. Additionally, players should be allowed to “pay off” items slowly in the market. This feature would allow items to go up for more than just 8 stat pots, making the risky 16 pot trade a thing of the past. How it works is let’s say someone is selling an Exalted HP for 16 speed potions. Rather than requiring 16 potions in your inventory (which is impossible without a backpack), one should be allowed to place 8 speed potions in the market buy listing, where it will be in a “awaiting confirmation of payment” state. This way you don’t lose any of your potions before you make the final say so, and it will also keep track of how many you have put in to pay. Then you simply need to run to your vault, grab 8 more potions and place them into the market on the same offer, and press “confirm purchase”. Voila, you now bought an Exalted HP for 16 speed potions without any of the risk of the person scamming you.

doesn’t this literally mean infinite storage in the gift chests

maybe add some kind of token system or a time limit to keep that from happening.
example : only # posts per day
or
use a token to unlock extra posts
or
infinite gift chest storage on tradeables

A tracking system could work. Or a new chest altogether. A marketplace chest, or a few of them. In general, the best method of handling this would be to prevent a player from posting new items on the marketplace if they havent yet retrieved their previous sales and purchases. If the marketplace is full up and the marketplace chest is full, then you can retrieve the items at any time as soon as space in that chest is created. In general, “free inventory space” is already a thing, and one that is largely unavoidable. It’s tasking to constantly jump through hoops in order to cheese more inventory space. If anything, you can create dozens of phony email accounts to get 16 spaces of inventory, plus 4 spaces of equipment inventory for each phony email. But you still see people buying vault chests, as it’s just so much simpler to be able to drop in and out and grab what you need and put it back whenever you want.

[Mew] just got some legendary loot. [Great Idea] obtained with 100% damage dealt!

nice reference

I like we all know exactly where this came from, even if we choose not to be an idiot and mention it. However, Voidlight’s issue is the exact problem. Why buy vault spaces when you can just choose your gift chest… especially if you have more then 5

Edit: Also pservers generally not for profit

Yeah… but the big difference is making a new account, for most of us, takes some level of effort. You have to get a new email, you have to record it, and worst of all, you have to find your stuff again. Overall, it can turn into a hassle after a certain amount. Meanwhile, your process simply makes it too easy to abuse the system. I used to make mules but I started buying chests because it was becoming too much of a hassle, ecspecially after 5 mules. However, with your idea, why would I ever buy vault spaces when I could use my 25 gift chests as free storage in exchange for spending an additional 10 seconds of my life. Which do you think is easier, 13 mules or 125 seconds?

If you’ll read my earlier comment before posting, you’ll see i already addressed the issue and gave a possible solution. That aside, it’s only one possible solution among dozens. People are already storing hundreds of chests inside their gift chests for storage and later use, and considering each chest contains at least 2-4 pots as well as other items, you can’t tell me it’s not being abused already. Regardless, this is constructive, so if you have any worries that haven’t yet been addressed already, i’ll be happy to give my insight on it. Just keep an open mind, this is what trial and testing is for.

With limited trades, how is this even an improvement on the trade system anymore?

Think it’s a cool idea but it needs a lot of fleshing out before it will be anywhere near complete… like all my ideas :stuck_out_tongue: I was actually working on a system more similar to the one of the private server earlier, using a lot of old sprites.

never finished though cause others didn’t see it as worthwhile :frowning:

Actually now that I think of it, I might just recreate it without the trade hub… Wait a sec…

The improvement is vastly increasing the amount of “trades” that can be completed as well as minimizing the amount of time required to find and complete each transaction. It’s essentially saying “why are cars needed when we have bikes?”. Realmeye is phenomenal at finding players to trade with easily without needing much effort, solving the “minimizing the amount of time required” issue, but it’s pretty poor at increasing the number of trades in a short time frame. This is due to the fact that it’s heavily user based and hardly at all automated, there’s no third party. Additionally, it is still limited by the traditional trading system, meaning trades that have more than 8 slots being taken up are very likely to not occur due to the fear of “this person might scam me”. The Auction House would allow people to essentially “fire and forget”, and list all of their things to be sold as they please, and anyone wishing to buy can simply walk up to the auction house and buy what they want. There’s countless benefits to the auction house system that will greatly save time and effort on everyone’s part, and this can VERY EASILY solve any issues of “what is worth what”. Trades can still happen, but the auction house is meant to be the bridge between waiting in USW2 for hours and enjoying the game to its maximum potential without having to go through that process.

But you just said that you’re limiting people to one trade at a time on the auction house, therefore limiting how many transactions you can complete at a time. Like with classic trades, it’s going to take a while for a single item to be sold, and perhaps, as you noted, it would take less for a single transaction to occur in the auction house then in normal trading. However,with normal trading, you aren’t limiting yourself to being able to attempt to sell one item at a time. You can be selling an acclaim while also selling a recomp for a seperate price. However, if you choose to limit it to one transaction at a time, you will have to choose which one you would like to sell first. On the other hand, if you don’t limit it to one transaction, we see the issue of abuse…

Edit: Personally, I saw the best system as what realmtrades had offered before it was removed. It couldn’t really be abused and if you wanted to complete a transaction, you would need to be able to carry it yourself

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.