Idea for a new animation type

I was thinking about the character animations, and I thought to myself: so there is the standing still animation when you stand still, the moving animation when you move and the attacking animation when you attack, but there is no ability animation, for when you use your ability.

It would happen even when attacking, so the ability animation replaces the attacking one for a moment, allowing you to see it clearly.

For example, the assassin and the huntress would use their free hand to throw their thingy, the wizard would use both his hands and momentarily reads a scroll, the archer would fire a big arrow with his bow horizontally, the priest would pull out his tome and read it similar to the wizard, rogue would twirl with his cloak into invisibility, samurai puts away his katana and slashes a short blade and so on…

I see a problem though: programming this might be complicated, but it comes mostly from the fact that there are a lot of skins in the game right now. So instead of waiting to add an ability animation for each and every skins they could add a new animation for new skins, and gradually add the animations for the ancient ones.

So what do you think? In my honest opinion, I think alot of already cool skins would become even better, each of them would have an animation different from the default skin fitting to their theme.

Over 600 character skins, which amounts to more than 1200 extra frames. Even if it’s gradual, I feel like DECA has more than enough stuff to worry about. Nonetheless, a very cool idea!

Yeah, I know that it is a big task. They don’t have to do it now, or even in the near future. Just saying, when the devz will have time and the game looks prefect, maybe consider this option. Its not a change that is needed, its a plus, a bonus sweet thing. It would even add value to skins different than the default ones, maybe encouraging some people to buy or seek these skins.

Thanks!

Yeah, I would love this, too. However, I feel that a ton of the game’s personality comes from the enemies! I mean, additional animations on the characters would be a nice touch of detail, but in groups it would hardly be noticeable and even alone it wouldn’t make much of a difference to the way the game feels. Compare that to the beautiful sprite from the upcoming Chancellor Dammah, or the amazing sprite work by @JohnMH with the Shatters 2.0 project.

Having epic enemies would make the game feel more epic than having cool player animations, all that is where I personally would like to see Deca devoting more time. I hope with the coming of Exalt we will see much more in the way of 3D effects as well, just imagine Oryx actually swinging his sword at you or the tomb bosses breaking out of sarcophagi.

In short, I really like your idea but I would rather the sprite artists work on improving other parts of the game first.

Wow, yeah true. Killing imposing and threat-looking enemies would feel more like an accomplishment everytime you do it, rather than the usual let-me-kill-you-yet-again for the usual loot, or the occasional white bag. Not only would the game be more epic, but you would enjoy the fight just like you enjoy getting the rewards.

As I said in my post, I propose this change but only when everything else that is more urgent is done with, and I agree with you: better looking enemies will have more impact than better looking players, thus making it a higher priority task.

Edit: I didnt mention that clarification in my post, maybe I thought I had but didnt. I do these kind of things sometimes. Sorry!

The programming would be pretty simple. It would just load the animation when the ability was used. But I can think of a few objections.

First as others have noted it would be a massive amount of work to do, to all existing skins alone. Given the wide diversity in use it would be a long time before most had this enabled.

Perhaps even more of a problem, many abilities don’t have a good animation; what does a Warrior e.g. do with his helm to enable his ability? I guess it’s like a shout of inspiration, so more audio than visual. Other classes, perhaps most, the ability is just like another weapon being shot or thown, and so would not be at all interesting.

Even when the ability involves a distinct action, there are many skins which are so tightly designed around their current weapon action that adding an ability would be very hard. These are not 3D models you can bolt a shield/sceptre/spellbook onto.

Ability animations you say? Like the ones I’ve done for my personal project?

Self-promotion aside, the idea itself wouldn’t be too bad were it not for the fact there are literal hundreds of skins currently, and each would have to be revamped to add these new animations. Some would be rather easy, like Juggernaut or Knight of the Round, but others would take serious thinking and time. It would have to be done during a time when nothing really needs to be done, otherwise it’ll get in the way of everything far too much, considering how much time it would take.

There’s also other things to consider, like the ability that’s being used and how it would apply to a certain class or skin, because I frankly cannot fathom how Frankenstein’s would work with a shield. Either way, not a bad idea at all.

also @Furyborn

Of COURSE you have already done this! Man, I wish I could see your work in the game. When I saw Shatters 2.0 it blew my mind, and even these which are somewhat less flashy are still so well-done. Awesome.

Sorry, but I have issues understanding the character sheet. Like I hardly can differentiate wich class is each skin. Maybe you made a post somewhere where you explain in detail? Anyway yeah, I understand that it would only be made when there is nothing else to do, thought I mentionned this in my post but I clearly didnt so I technically lied to @Furyborn (sorry!).

Frankenstein? Well maybe he stuns with his head. He’s got a big one at that. I’m sure its sturdy enough.

These aren’t skins for classes from prod, they’re for my own project. Hence why I mentioned self-promotion under the image.

I feel that it would be great and that it would give more life to the game, but there is a problem when doing the animations.

As they said, an animation would have to be made for each skin there is, which is a big problem and even more complicated if any skin has a unique animation. Also, giving enough detail for the character’s movement to be understood and feel natural and pleasing to the eye has to be difficult to achieve, especially with the small (but efficient) sprites the game uses.

Or at least that’s my opinion, but otherwise it would be great if they included that detail that although it seems small I’m sure that it would give, as I said before, more life to the game.

Yeah, I found your project. Nice work!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.