Idea for Unity: SKILL TREES!

What if RotMG classes all had their own customizable skill tree?

This idea…

• Creates a new use for fame.
  • Adds progression to each class outside of equipment.
  • Incentive to farm for stars outside of your Star Rank.
  • Makes your characters more personal.

Each class in RotMG should have their own skill tree. This skill tree is based on your current amount of stars on a class. Each star unlocks a branch in your skill tree randomly, up to 5 branches.

When you have a branch unlocked, there are 2-3 options for skills you can invest in. Only 1 skill can be chosen per branch. Each skill costs fame (or gold) to spend points in it, up to 5 points per skill. If you spend points on a skill, and decide you’d rather, use a different skill in that branch, you keep your points for that skill.

Examples of skills:

Rogue:

Sleight of Hand (0/5)
Increases your attack speed by 2%, up to 10%.

[Spend 600 fame (or 250 gold) to increase this skill by 1 point]

Wizard:

Wild Magic (0/5)
Spell Bombs have a 33.3% chance of being cast with a 50% increased damage range, up to 250%. (Increases the difference between the lowest value for a Spell Bomb and the highest value)

[Spend 300 fame (or 120 gold) to increase this skill by 1 point]

Archer:

Eagle Eye (0/5)
Increases the travel speed of your Quiver by 6%, up to 30%.

[Spend 450 fame (or 200 gold) to increase this skill by 1 point]

Huntress:

Tipped Arrows (0/5)
Your arrows deal an additional 4% damage over 2 seconds to the first enemy hit, up to 20%.

[Spend 600 fame (or 250 gold) to increase this skill by 1 point]

Note that:

• Damage and health values for enemies should probably be slightly adjusted to keep up with the classes as if skill trees are introduced, they’re making all the classes a bit stronger, which they should be adjusted for.

What do you think?

wow this idea is Really gOod! The skill tree will Finally make fame useful!

Fame ain’t fixed yet…

Remove link

This ruined it for me. It’d end up making content so much harder for new players.

Okay, maybe only endgame stuff should be adjusted then. :slight_smile:

I mean, even that’s kind of a no-go for me. It’s already tedious and long enough as it is.
If end-game enemies received HP and damage buffs it’d make it quite unfair.

I think the best thing to do would just be to raise the cost of the fame that it takes to gain a new skill.

I see what you mean.

Other than that though, I do like the idea and it sounds pretty cool. I’d like to see all branches/routes in terms of skills for each class.

Though regarding the wizard part, adding more damage to the spell bomb (especially the chance for 250% damage) is pretty OP, I’d suggest it only capping at +25% (125% in terms of total damage),

It’s a wider damage range. Meaning that 50% wider means the lowest damage is reduced by 50%, and the highest damage is increased by 50%. if it deals 100 - 100 normally, then it deals 50 - 200 with the special cast.

And if you have it to be 250%, then it’s (100/3.5) - (100*3.5) = 28 - 350.

Wait I can bump this.

The idea itself is pretty good, but the spellbomb upgrade is probably one of the most broken things I’ve seen in a while. Adding more RNG where it’s not necessary is never a good idea, but giving the ability with the highest damage output in the game a chance to deal 250% the damage is absolutely bonkers, and a even a chance to deal 0 damage would not balance it out.

The higher damage range would only lead to frustration, because one time somebody might land a perfect spellbomb with perfect RNG and one shot the boss giving you no chance of loot, other times you might land a perfect one on enraged Nut but only deal 30% and die leaving her at 50 hp, and while simillar scenarios can happen with the current damage ranges, this is just pushing it to the extreme.

The wizard is already really unbalanced and this skill would make the matter much worse.

Also, a way to toggle it on and off would be necessary, because I, for one, would consider this a major disadvantage, even with the chance to destroy the observable universe with a mere press of the spacebar, and it’s practically inevitable many people would buy it and decide they’re worse off wth it afterwards.
Also, some people would want to do skilless runs (like NPEs but skills instead of pets. Most likely as an extension to NPE) on their main account.

The wizard can’t be left without a skill though, so i propose:

Spell Mastery (0/5):
Increases the bottom damage treshold of the Spellbomb ability by 2% of damage range, for a maximum 10% increase.
[spend 500*(current skill level + 1) fame for 1 level, not buyable for gold (500 for first point, 1000 for 2nd etc.)]
requires the corresponding amount of stars to buy (if you have 3 stars on wizard, you must get the 4th before you can upgrade this skill to level 4)

explanation:
it doesn’t multiply the bottom treshold, because that could lead to it being actually higher than the top one, but just brings it a little closer, effectively increasing the average damage output, but leaving the maximum dps unchanged.
for example:
if you have a spellbomb that deals 200-300 damage per projectile, with this skill maxed, it will not change to 220-300, but to 210-300, because 300 - 200 = 100, and 10% of that is 10.
10% might be a little too strong, but that’s what the game is about, and it will make harder new dungeons a little easier to roll out.
That would reduce accessibility to the endgame encounters a little, because people without those skills would be always a little behind, kind of going against the original ideology of WildShadow, that people should be able to play with eachother pretty much on even grounds no matter the difference between their playtime (which is why the level cap is only 20), but pets already do that to an exponentialy greater degree so who tf cares.

Also, this would be a good way to introduce an idea of mine I’ve had for a while but was to lazy to make a thread about: Increasing potion limits for fame, and a third potion slot, where you could put any consumables you want.
Theres’s like a million ways that could be implemented though (bought in the menu, class-bound or for all classes, limited by highest fame gained or not, applied through items bought for fame in the nexus, obtained from quests, or just dropped in the realm more resemblant of stat pots etc.), and I’d rather not make a wall of text about it here.

BTW imo certain classes getting ablity upgrades, and others getting only boosts to their weapons, is kind of weird. Wouldn’t it be better to have something shared between all the classes (like the extra pots, or more max hp, or maybe movement speed) as the stem, which unlocks the skills for each weapon type, which unlock the skills for ablities of the classes that use those weapons?

That would be a pretty wonky tree though. Only 3 layers, with 15 branches on the last one? How do you even arrange that so it doesn’t look terrible?

Maybe instead of a tree, you would just go to the character selection screen, and have every class have a few perks you could buy from the class perspective, not from a tree view, with maybe certain ones applicable to multiple classes being shared between them?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.