Is 1/0=1/0? [incredibly irrelevant topic][poll]

Lets have a pointless discussion that makes even the most stupid #whine-cellar thread look highly intellectual.

• 1/0=1/0 is correct
  • 1/0=1/0 isnt correct

0 voters

(By 1/0 I mean the fraction)

Vault Chest bugged - Don't buy Vault Chests!

I’m triggered that there’s “isnt correct” which is wrong by itself, but it should be “is incorrect”[quote=“Mynamerr, post:1, topic:4571”]
interllectual.
[/quote]

Was this planned?

no

Depends on if you believe undefined = undefined, but for simplicity’s sake I’d say they equal purely because each side is identical. It’s better not to dwell on things that are undeterminable and can only be based on opinions; another example being infinity = infinity.

But is the validity of the statment even definied?

In other words: Can we really say that at least one of the options is true?

wait… i dont get what we are discussing?

if
undefined = undefined?

They are both correct and incorrect simultaneously. It’s better to not think too hard about it :stuck_out_tongue:

But thats against the law of the excluded middle

And it will contradict itself in any other way too.

Why does it contradict itself?

Because it is undefined yet it technically equals itself, but it can’t equal itself because it is undefined…

They are both undefined so I wasn’t too sure… I just put correct because they are both undefined so it’s impossible (technically) but that’s like saying [LOG (subscript 0) undefined = 0] = [LOG (subscript 0) undefined = 0]… yes they are both equal to each other but they are also both undefined

The IEEE standard (IEEE 754) that defines the floating-point mathematical model that all modern microprocessors use defines that 1/0 evaluates to ±infinity (that is, either positive infinity or negative infinity, depending on the CPU’s current rounding mode). Infinity has its own encoding in the floating-point standard (both +infinity and -infinity, depending on the number’s sign bit), so the logical equality operator == would evaluate to true (that is, 1).

Having said that, this is a simplification due to the limitations of the IEEE floating-point standard—it does only have so many exponent and mantissa bits for each floating-point format, of course, so there’s a limit to the number of discrete numbers that can be represented. True mathematicians understand that division by zero does not evaluate to infinity, but is in fact undefined. This stems from the fact that the limit of 1/x is not defined at zero (that is, the limit as x approaches zero from the left and the limit as x approaches zero from the right do not agree). Thus, as far as mathematics is concerned, 1/0 as a number does not exist at all, so 1/0==1/0 is a nonsensical comparison that is false by default.

-drops mic-

TLDR: lolno

[References? You want stinking references?!? Google is your friend, young padawan. OB]

Hold on.
You are saying:
does not exist<>does not exist
Despite the way the two expressions don’t exist are the same?
How rude!

You want to know what else doesn’t exist?
Invisible Pink Unicorns.
Now if I had two IPUs you are saying they cannot be equals just because they cannot exist?
That’s existist, you non-esseophobic!

:c

Lol @Mynamerr for asking RotMG forums for math help. AFAIK there are very few people that can actually math around here (I think @Liam is a math major?) and @OtherBill is not one of them because he had to Wolfram something in the past and I count that as a banishable sin.

Funny that Google didn’t yield anything, but I’m probably the worst Googler out there.

Actually I’m studying math at university and I’m quite good at it.@broooMc why does “1/0=1/0 isnt correct” imply that they are not equal?

It all depends on your point of view (as always):
  • If, in your line of thinking, you assume that A = A (whatever A is), then yeah, I would say that 1/0=1/0, independent of the mathematical meaning of 1/0. You can’t think of 1/0 as a number, but it definitely is a thing, and that thing is equal to itself, as you assumed earlier.
  • If, in your line of thinking, you assume that A ≠ A (whatever A is), then no, 1/0 is not equal to 1/0.
  • If, in your line of thinking, you make no assumptions about the equality of A to itself, then it would depend on A. More information would be required to answer your question.

Now, don’t ask me what would it mean to say that A ≠ A. But if you figure it out, tell me. :P``

I’m curious about what @Trofimowen has to say about this

Ummm…dude.

My Ph.D. involved an application of a subfield of mathematics called Constraint Satisfaction Problems. Wolfram is just a tool for people who value correctness, nothing more. It would be one thing if I was using it for simple crap like balancing my checkbook, but…well…I wasn’t.

[TLDR: Grrr. OB]

Vault Chest bugged - Don't buy Vault Chests!

Mu