Is it legal to sell my account?

so guys i got bored of rotmg and i would like to sell this account where can i find a marketplace of rotmg accounts where i can sell my account for fair price without any risk of being scamed? (i need money for my other talents)

Unfortunately, it is against the Realm of the Mad God ToS to sell your account.

I will make it legal.
No, it’s not allowed

It would honestly be pretty cool to make a living out of RotMG. But for obvious reasons, DECA (and pretty much every other game studio) doesn’t want people getting an OP account with money instead skill. Which is kind of ironic due to pets, but it still stands.

It’s illegal, but not very easily detectable

For clarity - yes, it’s legal. There are no laws preventing you from selling your account. The username and password remain your intellectual property to do with as you see fit.

It is, however, against the Terms of Service that you signed up to so:

• Potentially the account may be permanently banned (caveat mentor)
  • Potentially you yourself may be banned from creating a new account, and this may also be across all Deca games, not just RoTMG

it has less to do with people buying their way to the top and more to do with people making money off of someone else’s game. rotmg belongs to deca and deca alone. money given to other players for benefits they’d otherwise have to get by actually playing the game or by giving the money to deca is instead taken by other people. people buying items at all isn’t really the problem (if it was then we wouldn’t have tops in nexus and st’s in shops), it’s that people are giving money to people other than deca for content that deca owns.

Reee that’s why I have a conspiracy theory deca owns redacted RWT site name> and they’re secretly earning hella money but don’t do it upfront because player backlash.

I am genuinely confused as to why you still believe that.

Mainly DECA not doing anything about RWT and hackers till players get angry enough

No.
It’s not that you cannot, but it is against the TOS so I recommend refraining.
good luck :slight_smile:

True. That too.

No game company has truly tackled the issue, since the game was created. Some banned phrases, some star chat filters, but the issue has never been addressed formally by a game owner.

It really should be done programmatically, I think it’s a little unfair to blame the continuation of RWT on Deca.

It’s not illegal. No-one is going to sent the police around to arrest you, as they might if you committed a criminal act, or sue you in court, which they might do for a civi crime.

It is though against the terms of service for the game. If you sell your account both you and the person buying it are liable to be banned from the game, if discovered.

The ‘if discovered’ is key. DECA has no way to detect sales. Even if they detected the change in where the game was played there are many innocent and common explanations, such as someone moving house, going on holiday, or going up to college during term. They probably monitor reseller sites, but those sites are probably careful to not reveal details they don’t need to.

Just because a crime does not involve the police, or goes undiscovered, does not mean that a crime does not take place. RWT largely goes unpunished within the community because Deca has a hard time ascertaining that it has occured, for obvious reasons. If they were able to do so on a large scale, and not by a case by case basis, Deca would most likely take legal action against RWT websites and providers, as well as individuals. Deca’s legal team already spends a considerable amount of time shutting down pservers, as those are far easier to track. In our current meta of administration by a game company, Deca relies on player reports for a majority of RWT bans.

RWT is illegal if a game developer has taken the appropriate steps to copyright their services, code, or other infrastructure. The consequence of committing copyright crimes depend on the interactions between the copyright by country, and the country of residence that you belong to. However, most game developers will simply opt for in game consequences, such as a ban, than opposed to legal action. Just because Deca Games largely serves bans, does not remove the criminal activity from the copyright infringement.

Personally I am against copyright laws on the internet, but that’s a different topic, that has less to do with RWT, and more with Internet Freedom.

As per the rules of this forum you can’t sell your account here and we can’t tell you the name of any website where you can (or discuss it in any practical detail).

You also can’t trust any of us to give you legitimate legal advice.

Unless you really want to read pages and pages of unproductive blabber I’d advise you to look elsewhere.

EDIT: and another thing:

It’s all going to be a moot point if you get involved in shit like this, even accidentally. For all you know the RWT site you’re using could be a cover for this kind of shit and then suddenly the cops are on your ass.

pservers though are clearly illegal, as the code for them is copyright. Copyright infringement is illegal almost everywhere. It might be difficult to enforce, but because it’s illegal it often does not take much. A strongly worded lawyers letter setting out the law might be all that’s needed.

Real world trading though is generally perfectly legal. In many territories the law is actually on the side of independent traders. Vendors that try to hard to restrict where their goods are sold are often on the wrong side of the law. See e.g. the recent massive fine imposed on Apple in France for trying to restrict who could sell its machines.

That’s why developers include restrictions in their terms of service. They cannot normally end real world trading legally, so they include prohibitions against it in their TOS. That way they can close down any accounts that are found to be involved in RWT.

That’s a different situation though. Deca never sold you any goods, they just gave you access to a service (which they still have full control over). You could buy every item in the Nexus and still not own anything.