Is merching better than playing the game?

Ring, you win nothing!

Actually I can. Got enough def on mule

Answer it yourself. Is sitting around in nexus for hours spamming the same message over and over while cheating the people who actually play the game fun? Forget the reward involved.

And why donā€™t you? Thatā€™s literally the dumbest thing Iā€™ve heard, having enough def to max but you donā€™t want to.

Personally, I found it much more enjoyable to merch at early levels so that I could afford top gear and 8/8 some characters. I feel once you can get an 8/8, it just becomes so easy to max other characters and keep your characters alive. From here, if you die, you can just merch your way back to an 8/8. Eventually, you will get good at the game, without having to spend hours in the godlands farming endlessly or grinding through low level dungeons for wis pots or defense pots, when you could be focusing on things that actually matter, like shatts and lost halls. Merching lets you skip the early crap and get straight to the good stuff.

People hate on merchants, but they provide a serviceā€¦ and it is without a doubt a form of playing the game. And @IanIANian if youā€™re merching correctly eventually you are making the same or more than you are farming dungeons.

Honestly the real answer is that anyway you decide to play the game, whether itā€™s begging, hacking, scamming, duping, merching, rwting, running dungeons, fame training, building a guild, donating, running contestsā€¦ even talking about the game here on the forums; they are all acceptable forms of playing the game, as long as youā€™re having fun doing it. Some people may look down on other forms of playing the game or be elitist about their method of playing, but at the end of the day were all just trying to have fun in the ROTMG world. Thatā€™s all.

Some of us donā€™t like to play the game with garbage gear. If the ultimate goal is obtaining fame and white bags, then it would make sense that your characters should live longer if they have better gear. You can get the best gear (or pretty close to it), by merching. Try playing a knight ppe. It sucks. Your gear is terrible. You have to do a bunch of abysses which take forever to max defense. When you do max defense, you are so slow, that you canā€™t even do that much.

I can go from level 1 to an 8/8 knight with top gear via merching in about 2 days. It would probably take you at last two weeks, probably longer if you are a ppe, to max a knight. And thatā€™s if you are pretty good at the game. If you suck, you will probably die while maxing, and will spend months. I mean most people spend like six months playing the game before they get their first 8/8. I can easily make 2 8/8s a week by merching.

@IAmShurima but thatā€™s the thing: who the fuck said a Knight has to max Def first? Where in the game is there an invisible wall that prevents you from progressing if you donā€™t have the right equips on your character or maxed the right stats?

The entire point of playing a self-found challenge like NPE or PPE is that it forces you to make choices and plan things ahead: whatā€™s the fastest way to level 20? Which stats do I try to max first? Which dungeons should I go for and which ones do I ignore? Which UTs/STs can my character equip and which ones among those are actually worth farming for? How do I approach each different enemy when my character doesnā€™t have the Def to tank anything?

Thatā€™s whatā€™s interesting to me: having to actually know how the whole game works and to apply this knowledge to succeed.

For example, when I play Knight self-found I know that even basic equipment already gives me good Def and that I already have more Hp and Vit than other classes, so I focus on Dex and Spd mostly and then go from there. Even with just a t3 Shield and 40 Spd youā€™re already going to have a much easier time in godlands than you had upon reaching lvl 20.

On the other hand, merching will always look horribly boring to me. Itā€™s exactly the kind of math-heavy, spreadsheet-type gameplay Iā€™ve always seen in the fame farming part of the community: just find that one thing that gives you profit and then repeat it for a fucking eternity.

But the funniest part is that, once you get your 8/8 full tops/STs character, the only thing left to do is leave it forever in nexus and farm for rare UTs on alts.

I barely want to trade the pots I get from playing the game lel.

when u merch u get no white bags
who doesnt want white bags

I donā€™t see why selling stuff is frowned upon. If you have something valuable and want something else, trade it for something else. Like, you can trade stuff and still play the gameā€¦

ā€œOnly Sith deal in absolutesā€ -Yoda

So Doge is a Sith?

playing paden is mach better

My style of play is ppe, then realize that I forgot to use my pet after a while, but my version includes trading, so I get my pots to max by myself

Actually, not really. You gotta sit there spamming ā€œS>Mad God Sword1:4Lifeā€ or something for 20 minutes in USW2.

Wtf. What is this?

TPE Trading Player Experience? You can trade away anything you loot & donā€™t need? Eg. youā€™ve maxed def but need att, so can sell looted def for atts?

A bunch of stupid challenge ideas. ( Don't attempt any of these. )

So playing the game?

Uhh isnā€™t that just normal maxing :thinking: