Is merching better than playing the game?

I think @Bobhisays was meaning: only letting yourself use what you actually loot on that character, same as a “normal PPE”, but the difference being also allowing yourself to trade spare pots that you loot on that character. But it’s still all self-earned by that single character, no going back into vault to drink things you looted/traded for elsewhere.

But I don’t see what is so wrong with that! Like, y’all act like trading isn’t a part of the game.

Yes

It ain’t fun

Why are you wasting backpacks on these characters…

I mean, I would say that not having a maxed character severely hinders you from progressing in the game. I mean sure, you CAN do shatters, tombs, nests, lost halls, etc. without a 6/8. You can certainly do it on a throw-away 4/8, or even a 0/8. It is just extremely difficult, and while you might get away with running an unmaxed character in halls a few times, there is no way you are going to grind out 50 sbc halls on a 2/8 and expect to live. That’s just not really how this game works. Your chances of dying go up exponentially.

I would argue that this game has little to do with skill or knowledge. I’d say your pet level is a better indicator of survivability than game knowledge in most cases. Besides, most knowledge required for this game can be obtained after running a dungeon 5-10 times if you are paying attention. Pretty much everything else can be obtained from using the forums or talking with other players.

I can’t tell the difference between this and farming 30 sprites to max dex on your rogue or 10 tombs to max life. Seems like a similar concept.

The purpose of merching isn’t to acquire wealth. It’s to be able to finance your UT farming endeavors. Merching is faster than farming, so that just means I get to do all the high level stuff before you can. I brought this point up earlier. I think that the most fun part of this game is doing high level dungeons to get gear that is better than what I can already buy with pots. You can’t really do that with terrible gear. I mean you can, but it’s inefficient and you are pretty likely to die. The point is, by merching, I get to spend less time doing garbage like farming for t8 swords for my ppe and more time killing void.

Also, most merching that I do is not done in USW2. USW2 is slow and time consuming. I can merch and run voids at the same time. Can you farm for your 0/8 ppe and hunt for void bow at the same time? I don’t think so.

If this is how you are merching, you are doing it wrong. That takes too long. If anything, you should be spamming the refresh button on realmeye. You are much more likely to get a hit for a MG Sword sale this way.

Pets make Vit irrelevant and Wis only has any value on something with a Wis mod ability. Max Life doesn’t make a difference in endgame, where pretty much every death is an instakill. Max Mana makes even less of a difference overall and is completely useless on some classes such as Warrior.

Never mind 8/8, what do you need a 6/8 for again?

Max Spd and stay in the main group at all times?

Better question yet: why would you run 50 dungeons in a row without vaulting any of your loot?

If you think being 8/8 makes a difference in a dungeon where bosses routinely do more than 100 damage per shot with a fuckload of status effects and projectiles everywhere on screen, you’re the one who doesn’t understand how this game works.

I agree.

If a game isn’t about skill, then it’s only a matter of learning how it works and applying that knowledge.

If a game isn’t about knowledge, then it’s purely about skill and reflexes.

If a game is about neither, then it’s either so easy anyone can complete it or a 100% random RNG crapfest.

Problem being that earlier in your post you talked about the game being harder, implying there is a difficulty curve, implying it’s neither Babby’s First Game nor RNGesus’ Shitfest 2017.

Considering the fact you didn’t know Knight is playable even without being max Def, I would argue this statement of yours is false.

That’s true of almost every single game ever made. If all you want is get good at it, just read a fuckload of guides and wikis. The point of games is to discover things by yourself. What you’re doing is the equivalent of passing every school test with a cheat sheet: you won’t learn anything in the process, you won’t experience anything, it’s pointless.

You have to actually play the game to find a Sprite or a Tomb. You have to actually pay attention to what you’re doing to avoid getting killed. Even in a Sprite, you could still get fucked over by Limon or a Native Sprite God if you’re not paying attention.

Having an 8/8 character is completely useless for that purpose. Sure, if you’re rich enough you can afford wasting a fuckton of resources on your alts, but that’s not going to make them live longer or loot more white bags.

Better question: what do I need a Void Bow for?

If I were playing the game your way and got a rare LH white my only two options would be:

1. bring it with me for more LH, which isn’t going to improve my survivability or my chances of loot in any significant way but is pretty much guaranteed to make me lose it much faster than I’m likely to loot another one;

2. keep it in vault as a glorified dust collector.

The only point of getting rare UTs is to use them everywhere except where you’re most likely to lose them, because bringing them there is almost never worth it, meaning that someone like you who only ever does endgame content is never in a position where using them is going to be worth the risk.

####When I merch, I don’t have to care about rolling. I get a character to 20 and then proceed to max it, regardless of its roll. You, on the other hand, only get 31% of your characters to 1/8, which means you are either terrible at PPEs, you have fame trained hundreds of characters, or you spend a lot of your time rolling characters. I don’t have to worry about two of those things, which means I get to spend more time playing the game the way that I enjoy it.

I can count off half a dozen times where I have nexused with less than 100 times. Max health is useful. Max mana is very useful on huntress for the void, since the traps give easy soulbound.

I don’t see how this is relevant in the slightest. I never said you couldn’t vault… I was just pointing out that you probably don’t have a single 2/8 character that has made it through more than 10 halls, but I have several 8/8s that have. The chances of a 2/8 living are much much lower.

I notice you use a lot of HP rings. Why do you bother if an extra 100 HP doesn’t matter? Maxing life gives you ~100 extra HP. You may as well just use a UBATT on every character since apparently we don’t need 100 extra health.

I suppose it is this kind of logic that has led you to die ~ once every 3 days statistically.

##Hey, at least we agree on something (I’ll admit that at this point both sides of the argument are pretty pedantic. The bottom line is, I don’t like grinding for shitty gear or pots in dungeons when I could be doing lost halls or shatters.

I don’t play knight. I don’t find it fun. Also, I don’t find knight very useful, since I don’t need tops from O2 since I can just buy them and knight is useless in halls. I use it for tombs sometimes, but I’d much rather be on a rogue or an archer, and the same goes for shatters. It’s just not my cup of tea. I’d rather bring a mystic if I’m going for that kind of “stop them from shooting at me” type of role.

I mean, I’ve learned from other people’s deaths that you shouldn’t sit on septavius or limon… Also, I find that most 8/8s don’t really care about limon whatsoever. I mean the only relatable point here is that you shouldn’t sit on those little exploding robots in mad lab, which I did learn when my 8/8 pally got pretty much instapopped, but like… most of that is common sense. Don’t sit on the boss. It will kill you.

It’s not like because I don’t need the pots that I don’t run the dungeons… I mean I need planewalker and dbow as much as the next guy. I still DO low-level dungeons. I just don’t need to run 30 of them to max a character.

You have a point. In my experience, it is NOT worth it to wear an event white like cronus when etherite is just as good. Why would I spend 6 months getting something that is not as good as something I can get right here and now. Even jugg isn’t really going to be useful, since like you said, most things will 1shot me. Hence why I don’t go eventing often.

###All I can say is, why would I spend time getting a t11 sword when I can buy a t12 right now? The whole concept of PPE is just foreign to me. It’s literally just a method of wasting time, in my opinion. But that’s just the way I see it.

What’s up with all the bold text and bigger letters? lol calm down

At the end of the day, you only like playing on maxed characters while I enjoy maxing my characters as much as I enjoy playing them maxed. Since this is a video game, I’d say both approaches are equally valid.

I personally think your way of playing has one major flaw, and it’s that you’ll likely get burnt out on this game much faster than someone like me; but even that’s not that big of a flaw if you have other games you can play (or IRL activities you can partake in).

Actual response to your post:

On the other hand, you’ve had to spend quite some time making all your mules and managing them.

Might have something to do with me playing this game before pets and before duping. Also I’ve never said I was the best RotMG player ever.

Half a dozen times out of what total? And how many Life pots did it cost?

Not to mention you still had to nexus. The only way to reliably succeed is to dodge.

Unless I’m mistaken, SB threshold for the Entity is 10k, possibly more if you want to get a good white bag. I really doubt doing 290 damage every 3 or 4 seconds is going to matter all that much.

Then why do you care about losing a 2/8 if it has already brought back to you more than it cost to make it?

That might have something to do with the fact that I’m not running Lost Halls at all. Eventually I’ll just make alts and run them with a Discord or a guild, but right now it’s just not appealing to me.

Yeah I fucked up my explanation on that one. X)

Maxing Life just isn’t worth it when you think about it. You’re spending 19 Life pots on a character to gain 95 more Hp, when you could just spend like 1 Mana to get a +140 Hp ring and use the rest to buy STs (or just keep it to sell for rainbows whenever you need to remax fast).

Again, I’m not the best player ever. I’m also playing on a shitty laptop using a Wifi connection. And, of course, I’m way more active in this game than I should be.

I blame excessive Stun immunity.

Have you also learned not to Paralyze Limon on top of yourself?

No, you need to run 100 of them on average to get the white bag you want. I would argue having to drink 30 Wis isn’t exactly a problem in that case.

Another interesting aspect of Jugg is that it doesn’t make you Speedy, so you can still use your Berserk buff even in situations that call for slow and precise movement.

I’m just an NPE with a max divine pet, don’t mind me.

It really depends, lets say you’re play knight then it would be better to merch BUT ONLY WHEN YOU MERCH WITH PADEN but playing the game with paden is gudder than merching with paden

That was just an example, actually, I wouldn’t even invest into a mad god sword for it has a too low a demand for me(I only like my items to sit in my vault for ~1 day max before I turn it around).

I feel exactly like that on my NPEs, doing it decently and CONSISTENTLY keeping them alive, as a death is a failed NPE to me, I have to know everything about building a character, to abuses I can do safely now that it’s built without accidentally killing myself.

Mah warrior is a mule for marks now :slight_smile:

My point is your going to play the game anyway in the end.
lmfao

TO SUMMARIZE THIS TOPIC. No

It’s a wall of text. Perhaps the bold will get read. Those would be the main points in most cases.

Indeed, I am quite burnt out :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed, although, in theory I could pay someone to manage my mules. I guess I could pay someone to level characters for me too.

Fair enough. It wasn’t really a personal attack. Just more of a statistic.

A 6/8 character should cost ~ 10L. With top gear, You are looking at closer to 20-25L, especially if you add the value of your rare UTs. If spending 20L to max my life saves me from dying even once, then it is a worthwhile investment. (Not the best logic, but still a relevant way to look at it).

I would argue that this game is more about tanking than dodging in most cases. Maxing life helps me be a better tank. You do have a point though. If I could dodge everything, then I wouldn’t max defense or life at all.

Assuming the fight lasts 30 seconds and a 3.5 sec trap interval, my traps give me ~2.5k of sb. Any damage I deal will make my life easier, since that lets me be less accurate with my regular attacks.

I guess that depends on your luck.

It wasn’t literal, it was figurative. My point is rather moot though, since I didn’t realize you were talking about the value you gained from the 2/8 loot haul vs the value of the actual character. One thing to note is that if I need a dbow on every 2/8 I bring in, that is a lot of time I will spend hunting for dbows in udls.

I refer to my previous point about 19 life saving me once making it worthwhile, since my character’s value is > 20L.

I mean it sounds like we are both saying the same thing. The point is that you can learn by example instead of learning by sink-or-swim.

Well the only white that I need a lot of is dbows. And of course you can never have too many lost halls or shatters whites. So yes, I happen to run a lot of UDLS, but why should I waste my time doing sewers for defense when void is pretty useless and I already have a murky.

I suppose. It just seems like I’d rather keep something like that as a trophy rather than use it for its marginal benefit. I guess in the case of jugg, that really changes how the class can be played, but with pretty much every other white bag, they really don’t make THAT much of a difference compared to their rarity. I’m sure some counterargument could be made, but are you honestly telling me that you are a completely different character now that you have an EP or a conflict or a void bow? No, not really. Jugg and maybe 1-2 other whites are the rare exception.

The way I see it is, I can eat my dessert pretty much any time I want to. You have to eat your vegetables first, aka, searching for that acclaim from O2 or farming for pots.

That’s the way to do it