Item Affinities? Give this game some spice?

INDEX:

• Personal Statement I
  • Affinity Summary II
  • Affinity Descriptions III
  • Rare Affinity Descriptions IV
  • Untiered Affinity Descriptions V
  • Poll and Conclusion VI

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Statement I
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important stuff below this section! (thanks Atrapper)

Alright, so I’ve been playing for five and a half years.

I’ve seen this game in it’s prime, downfall, and recuperation.

In present day, it faces many issues from it’s past; ranges from duping to letting the bots win (making everything SB when dropped).

Those two alone? Ripped apart the community, destroyed the economy and infected the pure with greed for hacked clients… regardless of the set-in-stone consequences.

From what I see, most people who DO play seem to have an establishment of wealth in their vaults.

Affinity Summary II
Regardless, I am here to present a new idea; one that will bring players back and keep players in: Item Affinities.

The idea is simple: Enemies will now have a chance to drop a consumable Affinity that will fuse with a specific item.

The Affinities vary; some will increase tank potential, some will increase damage potential, others will increase support potential.

These Affinities aren’t permanent; they can be removed with a specific item that drops less often but ARE tradable (to bring back economic interaction, no more simple item-for-potion trades!).

Another thing special about Affinities; there are UNTIERED Affinities to collect as well, providing improved(and unique) effects that will separate you from the rest of the group!

Affinity Descriptions III
Well, here you go.

NOTE: ALL AFFINITIES WILL HAVE COOLDOWNS FOR THE SAKE OF PREVENTING OVERPOWERED AFFINITY COMBINATIONS CAPABLE OF NEAR-INVINCIBILITY AND INCOMPARABLE DPS! NOT ALL CD’S ARE LISTED!

Affinities:

Key:
"<^>" Is just a sign of alteration. Whether it be dependent on items or not, it’s there to show that those parts of the abilities are subject to change.
X= Values that vary with Level, Item Tier, and Affinity rarity.

Enrage: After taking X amount of damage, for every X damage you take, you receive +0.5 DEX (10 DEX max <^>) for a maximum of 10 seconds. Stacks reset after X seconds of not reaching the damage threshold.

Recuperate: After taking X amount of damage, for every X damage you take, you receive + 2 VIT (20 VIT max <^>) for a maximum of 10 seconds. Stacks reset after X seconds of not reaching the damage threshold.

Hyper: After expending X mana (this will scale with level to allow low-levels to use the Affinity as well), you receive +3 SPD (21 SPD max <^>) for a maximum of 5 seconds for each consecutive ability cast. Stacks reset after X seconds of not using an ability or swapping out abilities(to prevent Elemental Detonation- Fire Spray swap-outs… sneaky Wizards…).

Harden: After taking X amount of damage, for every X damage you take, you receive +1 DEF (10 DEF max <^>) for a maximum of 5 seconds. Stacks reset after X seconds of not reaching the damage threshold.

Infect (ONLY works with Area of Effect Abilities (Spellbombs, Quiver shots, Shurikens , and Scepters DO NOT COUNT AS AoE)): The next AoE Ability you use will disperse a small field from the center of either the USER or the ABILITIE’S POINT OF LANDING (Obviously depends on what ability is being used) that deals Poison damage (X damage for X seconds).

Inspire: After healing a nearby ally/group for at least X HP (Scales with level AND tier), all affected allies receive +1 DEX , VIT and WIS (Max 5 for all <^>) every 1 second (Max 5 seconds). Stacks reset after X seconds OR after receiving Bleeding, Sick or Confused.

Purify: After healing allies for at least X HP (Scales with level, at least 1500 at level 20), remove Sick, Bleeding, Slowed, Confused, Dazed, Blind, and Paralyzed from all allies when you use your ability again (Once you meet the healing requirement, you must use your healing ability again to utilize it’s effect). TIP: Using Snake Oil or Bottled Honey will help you reach the threshold faster!!! Good use of items, right?!

Focus: After healing allies for at least X HP (Scales with level, at least 1500 at level 20), Provide all allies within healing range with +30 MANA <^> (not yourself). TIP: Using this with Pollen Powder will maximize it’s effectiveness!

Rare Affinity Descriptions IV
More rare abilities (For obvious reasons):

Remedy: After taking X amount of damage, for every X damage you take, you receive +5 to Maximum HP (Maximum 50 HP <^>) for a maximum of 10 seconds. Resets after taking no damage for X seconds.

Deceive: After taking X amount of damage (Scales with level, 400 damage and up at level 20) create a stationary decoy that lasts for 1 second. Cooldown is 40 seconds <^>.

There’s more but… Maybe the community can help make some up as well?

Untiered Affinity Descriptions V
NOTE: THIS CATEGORY IS DESCRIBED IN MORE DETAIL TO EMPHASIZE THE DIVERSITY FROM TIERED AFFINITIES. THESE REQUIRE MORE STRATEGIC CHOICES TO MAXIMIZE EFFECTIVENESS, OPENING UP MANY NEW WAYS OF APPROACH TO ENEMIES.

UNTIERED AFFINITIES:

Replicate: After expending X amount of MANA (Scales with level, 500 MANA and up at level 20), copy the effect of your last used ability(IF THE ABILITY DEALS DAMAGE, BUT IS AT A FIXED AMOUNT, DOUBLE DAMAGE WILL BE DEALT. NO NEED FOR REPEATED ANIMATION). This ability does not work with Cloaks, Orbs, Helmets and Prisms(for obvious reasons). Cooldown of 1 minute.

NOTE: This means that pesky enemies that block Spellbombs will be easily destroyed while the second bolt deals damage to the main enemy. If you’re a Paladin/Priest, your heal will a second time within a 0.10 second interval.
You may be wondering… How does this help Paladins? Well, here’s how:

Paladins will reset their HP buff, meaning everyone around them gets double the HP back if they’re missing that much.
The Heal and Damaging last 0.10 seconds longer, allowing for one extra hit (possibly).

If you have Seal of Blasphemous Prayer, your invulnerability lasts 0.10 seconds longer, which will be extremely helpful if you rely on it to tank. How cool is that? :imp:

Guardian: After receiving 1000 damage within 10 seconds, you receive +50 VIT, +100 Maximum HP and + 10 DEF for 10 seconds. Because this ability does not stack, it does not reset. Cooldown 1 minute.

This is not for the faint of heart. This is for the frontline. If you aren’t melee, you aren’t benefitting from it’s… benefits.
It may not seem powerful, but this is the only way a tank will survive a shotgun they weren’t expecting.

Also, if you are surrounded by healers, this will help a LOT (Allowing quite a few Melee classes to reach 1000-1100 HP and tank way more)

You also have 10 SECONDS to tank 1000 damage. Child’s play for the reckless!

Paladins will also benefit because of their ability to give themselves HP. As long as their armor allows it, Reaching this threshold will be safe AND easy.

Poll and Conlcusion VI
Okay, I think it’s time I let my hands rest.

What do you guys think?!

Is this a good idea?

• Yes :smiley:
  • No :frowning:

0 voters

I want to see what everyone can come up with. Seriously, this would make this game so much more fun. Since every item would have an Affinity ( 4 Item slots of course) , this could lead to some AMAZING Affinity combinations.

If you plan to tank, you can have all four Affinities set for increasing Vitality, Defense and Health.

If you plan to destroy, you can have all four Affinities set for increasing Dexterity, Speed and Attack (Need thoughts for Attack Affinities).

Thanks for reading. Hope this gets off the ground.

Metapod? METAPOD? IS THAT YOU?? I HAVE NT SEEN YOU IN YEARS!!!

Lelxd

To be serious I like the idea of these affinities, not necessarily what they do. Some of these kinda need a nerf, like the hyper one (image a ninja on speedy using all spd items, then sitting on a hobbit mage O_o)

Welcome to the forums @Warlordz

Have a :cookie:.

For this topic, both yes and no.
Yes, because I like the effects that the “affinities” would inflict, thus increasing gameplay and trade in somewhat of a manner.
No, because rotmg doesn’t necessarily have room for new ideas such as this.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d KILL for something like this in-game. Just give this thread some time and let other people reply. cough cough @Xaklor cough

Hehe, yeah I chose Harden sadly.

But when it comes to suggestions, I gotta catch em all!

I’ll make a note of the OP Ninja. Maybe some Affinities should revolve around stats as well?

Roger that!

Appreciate your opinion. Sadly I am also aware of the capabilities of ROTMG as of now.

There are many minds out there making ideas greater and more appealing than this… I’ll wait in line.

Thanks for the :cookie: by the way. Chocolate chip gets a +1 from me.

You beat me to it :c

Why did I make that the first one :cry:

I really don’t want rotmg to turn into another terraria…

If I need to be honest, I couldn’t read through this massive wall of text. Too much time is spent explaining your reasoning behind making it at the beginning. You should organize this in a more concise way.

That said, this just seems too complicated for RotMG’s simplicity. You want to “Give this game some spice”, but that’s exactly what shouldn’t happen. RotMG was always meant to be simple, with a linear tier system.

4/10. It’s just a bit too much, but a lot of thought went into this.

Nah, I see this more as a DC Universe or Path of Exile kind of approach.

It kinda already is with the ST sets (Ex. Oryx Knight Set) and they even give special stats (as they would in Terraria).

These “Affinities” require more thought and effort to reach perfection.

Let’s not forget that this is just an extra factor to bring the game back to it’s forgotten roots.

If were going to have End Game dungeons, why not have something to help us prepare with gear that wouldn’t normally work?

A healer with semi decent gear could walk into a tough dungeon and dominate in the background with Affinities set to increase potential in all situations.

Great idea!

Apologies. I tried to appeal to several audiences at once; veterans and newcomers alike.

I’ll filter that accordingly.

I also understand that ROTMG is simplified to an extent. The year is 2017, this game has been juggled and dropped by 2 companies and Deca Games seems promising.

I present an “Idea”: Something that can very well be rejected, and can very well be noticed.

I’m also concerned with the ease of getting bored of this “linear” system we’ve come to enjoy at one point.

This leads to unhappy players, LESS players, and more greed.

The poor are intimidated by their inability to stay alive for five minutes, so they resort to the nexus for our support.

This isn’t a post about how to support the poor… Although hopefully a thread is open about that!

Sucks that I got a bad rating… But with trial-and-error I will surely approve! Thank you!

Thank you! If you have any suggestions, suggest away!

I dislike the idea because it adds a level of complexity to rotmg I don’t want.
your explanation is pretty good though, except for your introduction:

why on earth do you care about that? what does that even change for you? how is it one of the two things that “ripped apart the community”, and “destroyed the economy”, and “infected the pure with greed for hacked clients”? to be totally honest, that’s one of the most minor changes to the game DECA has made.

also what does that have to do with the item affinities?

great. what does that have to do with your idea?

you kinda threw me off with the intro paragraph, it sounds like you’re here with all this expert experience about all these issues you’ve seen over the years, but then you dive in to this highly detailed yet seemingly irrelevant tangent about adding item complexity, which then turns in to the main point of the thread. am I missing something?

Honestly,

I don’t see the complexity reaching levels of concern in ROTMG. These Affinities wouldn’t conflict with drops; instead they would simply have their own chance of dropping (like eggs and the latter).

It would just be another feature for the experienced to explore. Are you not getting bored of the same old approaches to enemies as I am? I’m getting tired of it.

The SB change made drop parties impossible. It made “speed sprout trades” before Oryx impossible. It made dropping unneeded items for the players in need impossible, as I would have to trade any and every one of them. This annoys me every single time I play this game.

Minor? Yes. Annoying? Very. Would you trust a company that neutralizes threats by barring off the entire community? It happened to Amulets, teleporting on new servers, etc. Just to prevent any more harm. It did the trick, but at what cost?

Economy heavily revolves around item Affinities. These aren’t just for enhancing gameplay; they serve as a new platform for trade. Because of duping on several occasions, the big chunk of the community has access to a plethora of wealth. This gives them something to actually spend it on.

I appreciate your attention to detail. Thank you for reading.

Just so everyone knows; this post is far from complete.

My plan was to introduce my idea and allow the community to speak out on what they wanted to see from this feature.

I delivered examples of what I would feel comfortable seeing in-game. Safe to say we all don’t think alike.

I will definitely consider every idea that builds upon this one. There are many mistakes that can and shall be corrected as the post grows.

This is only the beginning. Everyone should feel comfortable contributing words of advice to support the idea and/or the structure of it to make it more clear to readers (Gotten a few of those so far).

Once again, thank you all for sharing your advice towards making this “Good idea” (According to the Poll- Thanks for voting!) something worth considering by DECA Games.

Alright,

After an hour of effort, I’ve (hopefully) successfully made the post much easier to read.

-All sections are now categorized for your eyes to finally rest on one specific area of interest.

-Index created for easy navigation: Numbered for convenience.

-Titled all sections to allow all readers to Ctrl-F to a desired section with ease.

-More important text bolded and underlined so they aren’t easily skipped over by the reader (to prevent Reply clutter to answered questions & comments).

-All sections bear a distinct 2-Column 2-Row design to allow readers to easily spot the beginning and end of a section.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully, this improvement will prevent easily boring readers with it’s ugly design. Now we’re cookin’!

100 Views! Yus :sob:

Thanks for reading!

It’s your personal opinion, but tbh, a lot of people don’t - you just don’t notice them as often as they don’t stand out as much as say, a player with 100k base fame, or a maxed divine.
Regardless, let’s get into the post, personal statement and all isn’t really relevant here anyways.

At a cursory glance, the system feels like it could be exciting - this is because I’ve played Path of Exile and Runescape quite a bit, and both of these MMO’s have implemented an item augmentation system to varying, but tangible degrees of success.

I’ve got quite a few questions here itself. What do you mean exactly by not being permanent? Do they degrade over time, or just that they aren’t permanent in the sense that they can be removed, if so desired? Also, how would your system help combat duping and trading of the Affinity-Remover that you mention as being tradeable (I’m assuming that the Affinities themselves aren’t)?

If you’re implying that the Affinity-Removers could be used as a secondary currency (since you said no more item-for-potion trades), wouldn’t they have to first of all provide some value other than just being able to remove Affinities? Because why would I, as a player invest in a means of currency wherein the currency itself is consumable without any tangible gain (it’s not like a pot where it will increase a stat, and it has absolutely no use other than to remove an Affinity)

Moving on,

So, I’ve got to ask (even though I understand that this is just a rudimentary draft) could you specify what you mean by “Stacks reset after X seconds of not reaching damage threshold”? What if I hit the 20 VIT cap? Would me eating X damage even with the +20 VIT boost reset the stack timer?

Why would I ever use an Affinity before I hit at least level 20? It’s not really an important part of the design, I understand what you were going for - maybe reword it saying, “After expending X% mana” to imply a scaling with regards to max mana?

This basically makes things way too Overpowered for anyone with a divine pet. Perhaps keep an eye on the reset timer? But the problem with lowering the reset timer, would be making it unfair for the players who wouldn’t potentially be abusing it… Dunno how you’d go about dealing with this conundrum.[quote=“Warlordz, post:1, topic:9503”]
Harden: After taking X amount of damage, for every X damage you take, you receive +1 DEF (10 DEF max <^>) for a maximum of 5 seconds. Stacks reset after X seconds of not reaching the damage threshold.
[/quote]

Same comment as I’ve mentioned above for Enrage.[quote=“Warlordz, post:1, topic:9503”]
Infect (ONLY works with Area of Effect Abilities (Spellbombs, Quiver shots, Shurikens , and Scepters DO NOT COUNT AS AoE)): The next AoE Ability you use will disperse a small field from the center of either the USER or the ABILITIE’S POINT OF LANDING (Obviously depends on what ability is being used) that deals Poison damage (X damage for X seconds).
[/quote]

Not too useful IMO. Assassins already deal poison dmg - this is kind of redundant on them. So we have a pally, warrior, priest and huntress left.
Out of these four (if I haven’t missed any), only huntress would be able to shoot the infect damage from afar - and it would most probably be counter-intuitive to the whole concept of huntress traps, as huntress traps are dropped in most scenarios where the target will move not where it’s currently at. So either the huntress must forego on trap placement, or the infect damage - so wouldn’t really want to use this Affinity there.
Remaining classes being Pally, Priest and Warrior - these three would have the infect debuff apply centered around their character. So, it’s kind of hard to imagine this working out very well unless you’ve again, got a decent enough pet to allow you to sustain your ability uses without having to back off - and for a priest, the poor guy either should have a prot, or else infect is pretty much useless since he can’t damn well go in to apply a DoT effect with a flimsy robe on.[quote=“Warlordz, post:1, topic:9503”]
Inspire: After healing a nearby ally/group for at least X HP (Scales with level AND tier), all affected allies receive +1 DEX , VIT and WIS (Max 5 for all <^>) every 1 second (Max 5 seconds). Stacks reset after X seconds OR after receiving Bleeding, Sick or Confused.
[/quote]

I like the concept of this one, removing the buff if you’re hit by a debuff - it encourages some form of dodging in the players. But idk about the stat boosts, maybe the numbers couldd use some sort of working. Again, no point in scaling with level, since I don’t think anyone would use an Affinity prior to level 20, also the game truly begins once you hit 20 so what’s the point really?[quote=“Warlordz, post:1, topic:9503”]
Purify: After healing allies for at least X HP (Scales with level, at least 1500 at level 20), remove Sick, Bleeding, Slowed, Confused, Dazed, Blind, and Paralyzed from all allies when you use your ability again (Once you meet the healing requirement, you must use your healing ability again to utilize it’s effect). TIP: Using Snake Oil or Bottled Honey will help you reach the threshold faster!!! Good use of items, right?!
[/quote]

Puri. Geb tome. No need for this? Also, 1500 is a bit less, no? If I’m in a shatters with 10 other bros, and I heal each for 150 hp on one heal - bam, every 2nd heal I cast is a Puri.

I like the mana increasing thing. Kind of pointless for players with decent pets. But I like it nonetheless. But 30 mana’s a bit less IMO.[quote=“Warlordz, post:1, topic:9503”]
Remedy: After taking X amount of damage, for every X damage you take, you receive +5 to Maximum HP (Maximum 50 HP <^>) for a maximum of 10 seconds. Resets after taking no damage for X seconds.
[/quote]

The numbers are waaaay off here. +50 max hp for 10 seconds once I take 10 shots of X damage? What’s the point if 10X > 50?[quote=“Warlordz, post:1, topic:9503”]
Deceive: After taking X amount of damage (Scales with level, 400 damage and up at level 20) create a stationary decoy that lasts for 1 second. Cooldown is 40 seconds <^>.
[/quote]

Maybe change this so that when you’re at say, 10% HP, you poop out a decoy?

Feels a bit off. If I expend 500 mana on a wizard - I get one extra spell? Which is basically just cast at the last spell I’d have cast to hit the 500 mana threshold? Also why should it not work with cloaks? Let it not apply to Planewalker, but other cloaks are just fine with an extension in their invis, no?
I feel like the mana threshold should be a %age value here again, based on your maximum mana. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Lower the time to maybe 5 seconds, I like this one though. Maybe design something to mirror for the leather and robe classes as well?

Conclusion:

I’m a big fan of PoE, and of RS. I like the ideas you’ve thrown out here. If people contribute, this could turn into a well fleshed out idea.
I was going to sit and write out a document for my own idea tonight, but your idea and this post has eaten into a chunk of the time I’d set aside for that! Kudos to you, and keep updating the designs… Maybe make it into a document for easier and better formatting?

Thank you for replying! Allow me to clarify w/ some things(NOTE: Everything is in order with your post- Hopefully that makes it look less intimidating!):

• I mainly play on USE but when I travel to other servers, I see a decrease in population, not wealth. I could be wrong; I don’t have X-Ray vision and I respect that you don’t too.

• By ‘Not permanent’, I mean that they can simply be removed. They do not degrade, as that would make the game too complex and annoying for busy players.

• This system is built to add a new item to trade with people. These Affinities are very unique, so someone will always be looking for a specific one to match their build.

• This ‘Affinity Remover’ would be an uncommon drop for the simple reason that there are plenty of players to get the drop and sell them. Eventually, there will be too many… Which is why the drop rate won’t be the best.

If you want to use a NEW UNTIERED OR BETTER Affinity, you will most likely have to remove one already equipped. They aren’t meant to be super-expensive items; Affinities are.

• “Stacks reset after X seconds of not reaching damage threshold” is connected to “for every X damage you take”.
    If I take 500 damage and I’m at max stacks (20 vit for example), then I need to receive another 50 damage (for example) to keep the stacks maxed. If I stop taking 50 damage in time, it resets and goes on cooldown. The damage and timings are inaccurate as you can tell.

• There are MANY Affinities to choose from. With that said, some players will enjoy throwing them on their levelling character because they have confidence.

After all, they aren’t weakened by your level; they’re ADAPTED to it. That’s why there’s no percentile- would make it too easy for knights to max the stacks in one shield pop. Mana-focused abilities are supposed to be appealing to high-mana/wisdom classes, honestly.

I don’t want people always getting a “useful” Affinity, as there always has to be some bad ones to throw away. I just haven’t got into the lame ones yet as there is no point.

• The reset timer is 5 seconds. This will be accompanied by a cooldown (all Affinities will have a cooldown. Only some are listed because I expected a question like this to pop up for them, as they are truly OP without one).

• The actual stats aren’t listed here. This will surely be a bad Affinity for many classes. This isn’t overpowered; just looks as if it is. I swear it isn’t!

• Infect works with assassins as well. DON’T FORGET: PRIESTS AND PALADINS HAVE AN AREA OF EFFECT ABILITY.

This will give Paladins more damage potential while Priests will be able to defend themselves from minions that like to stick on to players (ex. Abyss Brutes)

I could’ve noted this, but the post isn’t supposed to be stating the obvious. Apologies.

• All of these Affinities are meant to act like “Critical Hits” or “Bonus effects”, but not buff a character to the point of no return. They are meant to inspire creativity and cooperation in a new way.

What would you suggest for the buffs on Inspire?
I made them to seem miniscule because the cooldown for an Affinity like this would be pretty small, don’t you think?
I may change it though.

• Here’s the catch, though: Once you REACH the healing requirement, you are required to heal AGAIN to actually “Purify” your surrounding allies.

Also, this Affinity was built around just that; healers. Necromancers suffer from the Heal-Again requirement but Priest and Paladins can use it just fine. Also, there WILL be a respectable cooldown to come with!

• Yeah, 30 Mana is pretty low. I placed the symbol by it to ensure everyone knew that wasn’t set in stone. If you have a suggestion, I’m willing to change it.

My reason for 30 mana though? Because several players with this one Affinity can abuse it and chain the effect to get a LOAD of Mana back.

This is why it isn’t TOO high for now. Even though it will have a cooldown, that won’t stop other players from using it right after you.

• Think about it: Paladins increase your maximum HP every time they heal. It’s like a little shield. Now if you’re with a good group, you’ll heal off all the damage and then end up with +50 max HP.

And don’t forget. If you are fighting a heavy hitter, you technically have +5 DEF as long as you’re gaining stacks BECAUSE you restore 5 HP every time you take the big hit. Cool huh?

• Maybe. Deceive is supposed to act as a failsafe in rushes where you accidentally teleported to your doom. As long as you run forward, you will have 1 second to nexus (if Deceive isn’t on cooldown…).

It may not work at 10% HP because this would mean that you would have to be super-brave and not nexus beforehand.

Most people will nexus after taking a scary chunk of damage or being cornered by bullets or the such. Won’t save them at 10% HP unless you’re a Rogue( That means the enemies keep shooting though which is dangerous).

• Replicate is supposed to be an ability without a reset. This means that if you use 100 mana now, 5 minutes later you will only need to use 400 to get the double-hit. Think of it as charging up your final attack.

This Affinity is built to increase loot potential at bosses/chests as you can save Replicate for them. Cooldown makes it less spammy.

And you stated one of the reasons why it doesn’t work with cloaks. Making a cloak… cloak you for 10 seconds is wayyyyy too much. If you have that Skuld cloak you would be a Rogue Ninja (literally!)

• I respect 5 seconds, but at the same time it would be a last-resort that you would need a priest/pally/necro for.

For now, I don’t want to make Affinities that rely on another. Especially the Untiered ones. These are supposed to be the best of the best(or vanity).

Wish there was a way to test this out. I can’t really make a decision when I can’t tell the situational effectiveness of the Affinity. Maybe I’ll drop it to 7-8 seconds?

THANK YOU for spending your time analyzing and contributing to this idea! I appreciate it!