Item Ideas (How to make your ideas better!)

Hi everyone,

the RealmEye forum’s Item Ideas category is one of the most popular on the forums. I’ve seen many awesome ideas and ideas that need great working on. So, I decided to take the goods and the bads of the item ideas I’ve seen and put a Dos and Don’ts list.

Please note:

the links I put are misrecognised by the forum, so please use Ctrl-click (Windows/Ubuntu) or Cmd-click(OSX) to view 'em. Thanks!

Don't:

* Name your items or create your descriptions as something arbitrarily sad or depressed. RotMG is a fun game, not a place to spread your sadness.
  • Name a spell with Ancient Spell: ___ unless it’s actually relevant to the ingame lore. (It probably won’t be.) The AS:P is only from Shatters lore and is irrelevant to the rest of RotMG.

• Give your items a fame bonus of 7% or something as wonky. Even going to 6% is pushing it on some of the items I’ve seen. Think about the item’s utility and how hard it will be to obtain the item. Consider the item’s practicality of retaining that fame bonus. (My most noted example is the Spectral Cloth Armor, a great armor that has a measly 2% fame bonus)

• Overshade, undershade, or overembellish items. Imagine what it would look like in your dream UT set. Items like the Resu next to the Ogmur have similar shade embellishment, but imagine putting an MG next to a Double D. The Resu/Ogmur/DD definitely have the highest shade embellishment this game’s aesthetics can retain without looking too… snazzy. For overembellishing items, don’t add arbitrary pixels around something, like a seal or spell or helm, to make it cooler. If anything, it will make it look messier.

Do:

• Explain your thought process behind creating the item. Why did you make it? Does its name or description have any origin related to lore? Real life? Why did you name the item as you did? DId you create this item for a specific reason? Does it combat a weak point in a class as a UT? Did you create it as a direct upgrade of a tiered item or a gameplay-changer that exchanges a strength and a weakness with a tiered alternative?

• Do a comprehensive comparison to:
    a) tiered items that it can be a replacement to
    b) if in a set, explain why it is good in tandem with the set (not just in stat bonuses)
    Common ways to do this is using Pfiffel’s DPS Calculator, or just doing some thinking about damage, defence, and other common stat rivalries amongst your item and another item.

• Uploading your sprites to Imgur is great, but many people with firewalls or protection can’t see them on the forums. Did you know that you can upload files to RealmEye directly from your computer? It’s the grey bar with the upwards arrow, in the “Quotes” window of a thread editor.

This is all I could think of for now. Please feel free to comment on how I can expand my list!
:heart:

EDIT:

Yes, a Double D for Draconic Dominance, lovingly named by me :smiley:

EDIT AGAIN:

@Scorchmist thanks for the like :heart_decoration:

Nice. Check this out too

@Scorchmist thanks!

Well said!

YOU MISSED A DONT:

If you make a spell don’t fucking drop “Ancient Spell” in front of a normal casual sounding word and think it’s gonna sound swag. Reason? We have one, and one is enough,

@DreadDrake that actually bothers me as well, I’ll add it ^^

@Atrapper thanks!

I like these guidelines but I want to provide an example of an absolute bad idea according to your guidelines because I thought it would be funny. ok.

Joke Idea:
Ancient Spell: Existential Crisis
7% Fame bonus
Description: May the depression be you
No image provided
It’s a joke
No stats provided
No comparison provided.

@Ziulyx haha thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.