Jonahk's Speedrunning Tournament

Hey! I’m going to be hosting RotMG’s first tournament. This tournament will be held Friday, April 26th, starting at 9pm central. It will be a speedrunning tournament with a prize pool whose size will very based on the number of participants, but will work as follows:

• Each team will contribute 50 life, preferably not pure because it’ll be a pain to store
  • Winning team will take 1/2 of the life
  • Second place will take 1/3 of the life
  • Third place will take 1/6 of the life

The dungeons, which I will be providing:

• Cult
  • Void
  • Shatts
  • Tomb
  • Parasite

The rules are very specific - failure to comply with any rule will result in a DQ from this tournament and any number of future tournaments that I run. This tournament is a speedrunning, single-elimination tournament. Guilds will select a team of 15 players, each wielding a different class, to speedrun each dungeon. After each dungeon, half of the teams will be eliminated. This process will continue until two teams remain.

The rules:

• At least one player from your guild must broadcast your speedruns.
  • Your team will be made up of 15 players on different classes
  • No consumables may be used
  • The same 15 players must speedrun every dungeon
  • If a character dies, that player may not use another character. That team simply will run with 1 less character.
  • You must start at the same time as all other teams. Starting early will result in a disqualification.
  • You may only use RotMG clients that are sanctioned by Deca.
  • The timer will start when the first player enters the dungeon, and ends when the first player enters the completion portal.
  • Chests do not have to be broken in dungeons like shatters and cult. Only a completion portal exit is required.

The final two teams will compete in a head to head, best of 5 speedrunning tournament where teams will take turns choosing the dungeon that they speedrun. In this format, the two teams may speedrun the same dungeon more than once. The team that finished first in the final four will pick the first dungeon. There will not be a win by two format.

If you and your guild are interested in joining this tournament, fill out this google form here:
https://forms.gle/776SHqDEcDBZLdUU9
Or pm me on discord at: gingersnaps#3526

I have two questions. I will preface this by stating I am the only person in my guild.

What if you do not have a guild of 15 unique members, are you automatically ineligible, or can you get non-guild members to partake with guild members?

If substitutes are allowed to fill in, is there a minimum of how many actual guild members there has to be in said submission?

You can get non-guild members to partake, and there is no minimum to how many actual guild members there must be.

bump

you do not need to bump within a mere 4 hours of the previous reply. please don’t do that.

I also wouldn’t expect many entries to be honest, rotmg is simply not the kind of game built for speedrunning no matter how many people try. further adding in the requirement of somehow wrangling 15 players to get online and play at the same time also diminishes the number of players willing to even attempt. and last but not least, a vague prize pool without any estimation given. since you’ve already asked 15 players per team that’s going to have to be pretty impressive since any rewards given out will have to be divided into 15 portions for each team member.

if you really want to prove me wrong though, I would suggest putting “speedrunning” into the thread title so people know what they’re getting into. you could also try hitting the rotmg reddit since they have more viewers in general. even if this is successful though, don’t expect entries to come super quick since assembling that many people per team takes time.

Black Bullet gonna come in with their 100/100/100 pets full LH shit sets lmao no way is this going to be fair

The 100/100/100 pets are indeed broken, but it really is just going to come down to skill at the end of the day. How fast your switch rushers are, how fast your cult rushers are, how fast your tomb rushers are, and more skill-based sides to speedrunning.

I’m shit and my 100/100 pet allows me to rush much easier than a kid with a 70/70 who is actually good at the game.

A few points that could stand some clarification:

• There is no indication of which dungeons will be used

• There is no indication of where all the keys will come from (are you providing them?)
  • There is no indication of how speed will be measured (what about lag?)
  • There is no indication of how the competition will be scored
  • What if the player has a backup character of that same class?
  • If I can just participate with any 14 other players, why is this a "guild" tournament at all, then?

If I may, this is a bad, baaad idea, as you can just make up the rules closer to the tournament date. Better to be as clear as possible up front.

Side question: do you, or anyone in your current guild, or any of your friends, etc. plan on participating? What assurances will you give that the rules won’t subtly be stacked in their favor?

About the rules, I meant later in the text. A player may not use a back up character of the same class. If someone dies, they are simply out. This is meant to be a guild tournament, but especially for the first tournament, I want as many participants as possible. That’s why I’m allowing non-guild members to join.

I don’t believe that my guild is participating. If my guild does participate, I will not be on that team. I will not judge their times, and I will not receive any life that they do or do not win.

Scoring is simply going to be done using time. Lag is a part of the game, and therefore will be factored in to your team. Because DCs could be used as an exploit, a disconnect simply must be played through. I’ll update dungeons and who is providing them, but they are also on the google form.

See new topic: Jonahk's Speedrunning Tournament Pt. 2