Just put bard on flash

Title is simple and straight forward. Just put the bard on flash, I didn’t want to make a reply on the “News & Information.” Here are my reasons for this…

Everyone should have the chance to play bard:
Some people play on steam, some people play on flash, and others play on browser. To force players to play on exalt in order to play bard is ridiculous. Not everyone can run rotmg the same way. Others just perfer to play rotmg on whatever client, browser, etc they use.

Yellow stars who want to get whitestar:
There are yellow stars who currently cannot get white if they are not able to play the bard class, this is a bit more then trivial for avid players.

Exalt is awful right now:
I am not going to sugarcoat how bad the exalt is, my laptop is not the newest (5 years and going). But I still run most of my programs smoothly. With exalt, it is the living nightmare when trying set it up. It takes like 15-20 minutes just to even start playing. Every time I log in, there is always something that needs to be updated which takes minutes just to finish. I get more unnecessary load time before picking a class, then I get even more loading which took me a full minute just for the nexus loading screen. Then when I finally get in the game. I get random error messages stating that there are issues that are not there at all. The lag is atrociously bad at best. The beta excuse doesn’t work when there is content that exist only in exalt, the only reason why I didn’t uninstall exalt after playing it when it first came out is because I heard that it would remove other important files on your computer. unlike exalt, flashplayer takes a minute or two on a slow day and doesn’t have full screen by default. What was the point in making it either full screen or take 90% of your screen. I don’t understand why they even tried to fancy exalt so much instead of just focusing on removing issues. I still use flash player strictly for realm instead of that mess.

Those are my 3 issues with bard being exalt only. Please comment any issues you have with my topic.

Thing is, though, everyone’s going to be forced to use Exalt at some point or another.

That’s what “beta” means. Some stuff there may not be present elsewhere.

That shouldn’t be the case. The biggest issues with Exalt (for me) are the disconnections, which are on DECA’s side. I haven’t experienced any sort of lag for while.

Uh, yeah, don’t uninstall it. In most cases, it doesn’t do anything, but there have been reports that it deletes your entire hard drive. Fortunately, DECA already addressed this problem and came up with solutions for if this happens.

The thing is not everyone has issues with exalt like you do… don’t get me wrong I have PLENTY of disconnect issues myself. But most of the time it’s okay.

I think the main reason they aren’t offering bard on flash is because flash isn’t going to be supported in the near future

I agree with you, I hate the fact that I just have to sit around and wait for the 32-bit launcher to be released.

Im not going to lie, I did loose my cool when making this thread. Now that I calmed down, I can reply to comments. Ill try my best to respond accordingly…

That is true, but for the time being, we should be accommodating for clients outside of exalt, it will take several months before flash officially discontinues.

Why only test a brand new class on a client that is still not fully functioning properly? It would be way more convenient for players to test the class on more reliable clients.

How often do you play exalt? I rarely play it which means I have to download a new update every time I log in. Do you not get any pop up errors ingame?

Is this a major issue still or have they cleared up the majority of issues? I would test this but I have stuff that I need.

I understand fully but for a brief time, it should be allowed in all clients as exalt seems to have the most issues (ik browser is arguably worst).

We’re actually not sure about this, and I don’t think DECA has addressed when Flash will discontinue. However, I don’t think it would be hard to just add a Bard option on Flash, so I believe that DECA chose not to add it for a reason.

Due to the current global pandemic, I have been frequenting the game quite a bit. About the manual updates required by the launcher, that is a relatively separate concern from what I intend to discuss, and falls more in the general category of Exalt’s issues. I don’t think I’ve updated the game in a few days, but there are surely more to come. Pop-up errors are also common, and there are indeed many players experiencing them. They are usually constant rubberbanding before something like “You have been yeeted by the host” or whatever. This area is something that DECA can definitely improve. On the bright side, throughout my time playing today, I’ve noticed that disconnections were nearly absent. Did DECA completely fix the problem? Probably not. But the situation has definitely improved substantially.

Honestly, I’m not sure. I have uninstalled the launcher before and as far as I know, there was no effect. Just in case something happens, I would recommend backing up your files if possible. Something like this has happened for other games as well – Fallout 76 was one of them.

Going back to @Xelleo’s post of Flash not being supported in the near future, this may be the case. However, it’s also important to remember that Flash is very limited compared to the potential of Unity. There’s a reason why O3 could not be tested on Flash – the special features wouldn’t work or could possibly mess up the game. Due to this, it may be harder to have a Flash player play the Bard. After all, the Bard is arguably the most “complex” character in the game so far – his ability increases weapon range and the Lute even has a special animation.

On my 2015 MacBook Air, it does take ~5-10 min to load exalt every time

What the fuck? lol

I decided to try something.

Experiment regarding Exalt Launch Times

Devices used:
ASUS Vivobook X202E
i3-3217u @1796MHz
4GB DDR3-1333
120GB PNY CS900 SSD
During the test, CPU temperatures were kept below 85 degrees Celsius to prevent thermal throttling.

Methodology: A stopwatch was used to record how long it took between the time in which I clicked on the icon (Exalt Launcher or Adobe Flash Player 18) and the time in which I arrived in the nexus.

Exalt
Run 1: 1 min 36 seconds
Run 2: 1 min 47 seconds (crashed 4 times lmfao)
Run 3: 1 min 34 seconds (crashed 2x)
Run 4: 1 min 31 seconds (crashed once)
Run 5: 1 min 31 seconds (crashed once)

AFP 18:
Run 1: 18.75 seconds
Run 2: 19.31 seconds
Run 3: 17.80 seconds
Run 4: 22.40 seconds
Run 5: 19.31 seconds

Tl;Dr: that’s odd

deca is probably lazy, doesn’t want to work on something more than they need to

This was only the case if you moved the launcher outside of the folder it came in. The uninstaller was pretty silly, just “delete everything in the folder that the Exalt launcher is in”.

Adding Bard to Flash, from what I’ve heard, requires a fair bit of backend work that in the long term isn’t worth it, especially with O3 on the horizon.
Case in point: the character select screen.
Remember how Bard was only partially on-screen, or replaced another class entirely? That’s not really somefin you want.

Anyone else getting tired of Deca

They even had a working bard on flash during the first testing session

On the other hand you don’t seem to be missing out on too much anyways

I really don’t understand these Exalt complaint threads about beta content not being added to Flash. They’re all over realmeye and reddit and I’m kind of growing tired of these complaints.

Please get this through your brains.

RotMG Exalt is a 2020 game. I’m sorry that you can’t play the game on your mom’s 2012 Mac Book Air, but it’s not supposed to be played on old hardware. Upgrade your PC because RotMG is becoming an actual game now and if you want to play it, you need to use modern hardware.

If that doesn’t fix the issue, then take a look at your internet speeds to see if you need to upgrade your internet service to accommodate for online gaming. Else, if your internet speed is borderline “good” then a quick fix might just be playing on a wired connection. Gaming on wifi is all around just a terrible idea and ethernet cords are pretty cheap and easy to hook up.

Finally, if that doesn’t fix it, then you can complain about Exalt because at that point it’s most likely due to your proximity to DECA’s servers or some other reason out of your control that only DECA can fix.

Alright…

Seeya

I don’t exactly disagree, but the problem is that Exalt really isn’t a functional game yet. It’s still in beta, and there are various problems even for those who’s devices are more than capable of handling the game. And yet, the functional flash game client is being metaphorically fucked by Deca preemptively, before the new one actually works.

How so? Again, Bard and Oryx 3 are beta content. Bard is technically still in testing, for lack of a better word. It’s actually extremely important to test content such as a new class being implemented as well as a new endgame dungeon. Especially with the newer things that these features are adding. Like, hell, look at the parrot UT. If that doesn’t look like beta content, then tell me what is. It was a performance test for Exalt, more or less, which allowed them to gather more information on what the client can handle.

Additionally, Oryx 3 has some wild effects in some of his phases as well as in some of the minibosses. This really is a true beta test still and I don’t think adding these things on Flash would help benefit the development of Unity in any way.

Flash isn’t really missing out on a whole lot when the rest of the game’s content is still currently accessible. It’s not like DECA is taking away things from players on Flash that they already had pre-Bard. Bard is beta content that is going to help improve the official release of Exalt. They want players to only be playing on the class on Exalt so that bugs can be found and those bugs can be fixed.

It makes sense that DECA is being future-oriented and I’m thankful that they are because I know some players would be perfectly fine with staying on Flash, but in order for the game to grow, they need to be pressuring people to try the beta content. If they just continue to release everything on both Flash and Unity, the people who have bugs and issues won’t ever have a reason to play on Unity and, in turn, those bugs will never be found and resolved.

This is an issue with your Laptop most definetly. I am not going to deny that Exalt isn’t perfectly optimized and surely needs some more of it. But I have never heard of someone being stuck for 15-20 minutes in the loading screen of Exalt just to get the game starting.

The game really takes good use of a good Graphics Card, so having one really doesn’t hurt but rather improves your exalt experience immensely.

You can play Windowed and adjust the resolution to make it as close as possible to the small flash projector window of flash rotmg. Fullscreen in my eyes is really good though, it extremely helps you with dodging. So is playing with Center on player OFF now which now gives you more than 3 tiles behind you instead of just 3.

This is probably one of the worst things right now. I don’t even understand the reasoning of making actual content Beta exclusive. I do understand that the Beta doesn’t work fine and by definition a beta is there to help the developers, but making stuff beta exclusive with people having alot of bugs is just BS.

come on man, spending 100s of euros on new pc components for a single game that uses 8-bit style graphics is really unreasonable

Flash era is over, We need to move on.

the time is now old man! (its a meme/reference)

Nonsense. Unity is a far more efficient and modern platform than Flash, and as such should have much better performance, for the same sort of game. In particular a simple mostly 2D game like ROTMG should perform very well even on a 2012 laptop. There are lots of games you need a modern PC for but ROTMG is not one of them.

By in large it does perform better. The slowdowns that you see in Flash on an older PC are mostly gone, so it no longer drops the frame rate into single figures at Oryx’s castle, for example. or suddenly drops a few frames when hexed or when it loads art for other reasons.

It does still occasionally slow though, for no obvious reason. Loading is a worse problem with long load times and stalls loading, which may just be failing and retrying as lost connections seem a particular problem. Then there’s all the other bugs and problems which still need to be fixed. Once fixed it should be an easy and pleasant transition but we are not there yet.

I have been having nonstop disconnect issues, but I believe it has to do with my absurdly terrible wifi. On the other hand, my friend, who has a gaming laptop, something DESIGNED for games, gets even more disconnects on unity. His wifi is fine, but he literally can not run a single dungeon without disconnecting at some point. I believe he has completed a total of 3 dungeons without disconnecting since bard was released.