Lag and Black Tiling on Mac

I’m sure there a million of these posts, but I am at a loss for what to do.

I am able to sit in the nexus and run through godlands, but if there are too many gods, I begin to receive serious lag and black tile. I cannot rush even a UDL without black tiling and having to wait. I have tried all sorts of things, including reseting my browsers, playing in flash player, playing with all of the quality menus that realm has to offer. Nothing has worked.

About my in-game network stats:
Net jitter is between 10 and 40 usually.
10-20ms ping
Memory usage is usually close to max (300 of 360 etc), but not always
Net jitter doesn’t correspond with black tiles or lag spikes from my experience.

About my internet:
I typically get 150mbs down and 30mbs up

About my computer:
I’m playing on a MacBook Pro ( I know it’s a mac…)
3.1 GHz processor
16 GB of ram
Intel HD Graphics 630

I have no problem playing league of legends and other games that I consider to be more graphically intensive since they are full screen.

I have played in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and multiple different flash projectors, including 18. Flash projector gives way more lag for me than in a browser, but the black tiling persists there as well.

Is there anything that I could do to potentially address the issue? I was able to play on a similar mac about a year ago with little to no problems. Sure, I couldn’t run lost halls with tons of people or nest, but I was at least able to PLAY the game. I basically can’t rush anything now. Help.

The concerning thing is that the game ran perfectly fine a year ago on the previous iteration of MacBookPro. Additionally, other people play on a mac and seem perfectly fine, which makes me wonder what exactly is not aligned properly with my machine.

I guess what I’m asking is, is there anything I can do about the problem? Is there more information I could give you or test I can run. The game is relatively unplayable for me.

I will say this much. I CAN play on flash projector, albeit with several seconds of delay on input commands. Earlier today, I was doing the davy event on chrome and I would lag out and disconnect while doing the boss every single time. On flash projector, I was able to complete the bosses without disconnecting, but my movements would often be delayed by a few seconds. I would press my ability and it would go off several seconds later. My movement was lagged. But I didn’t disconnect.

Can you add you in game settings so that we can figure out if you can do something else in game other than with your computer. Only thing for sure is to play on flash projector.

All of my in-game settings are set to the minimum. Graphical properties are set to as low as possible. Experimental is all turned on.

As previously mentioned, I get several seconds of delay with my actions on flash projector. It was fine for rushing down davy with a group, but I doubt I could do a shatters properly with all of the skidding and sliding around my character was doing due to the movement input lag.

All I can say is to close your other tabs and everything. Usually helps me, including discord if you really don’t want to lag. Usually things in the background could make things a lot more laggier and a pain. Considering I played on my mac mini and closed everything in the background and wasn’t lagging at all that could be your best bet.

Oh in this case you should try chrome, but flash should usually be best.

The unity update will prolly help with most of it… hopefully

You don’t say how you are doing the event, but weekend etc. events tend to be laggy as they are popular. This is especially true for ones opened in nexus when far more can pile in than the servers are normally asked to cope with. But it’s true even in Realm, when far more people than normal make an effort to go into e.g. a Davy’s for the chest.

There’s nothing about your setup that strikes me as problematic. I am using a six-year old Mac mini which is probably underpowered compared to what you have, and am playing with few problems (a Mac mini uses the same hardware as Mac laptops, for cost and thermal/size reasons).

I play with Flash Projector as all browsers on Mac have problems. I don’t have any problems with input lag except when the game is generally laggy, such as at popular events, at various points in Oryx’s Castle and the WC.

I expect lag during these events. I am doing them in the nexus loaded with tons of people.

I get input lag on flash projector even just going through the godlands.

Mynamerr apparently had this issue and it suddenly went away lul, though that’s probably not very helpful.

Try using CCleaner to clear cache? Did this start happening recently, or has always been a problem for this new mac?

Also you mention input lag which is interesting since I used to have that problem. It’s definitely got to do with some settings restricting flash player and not an inherent problem of your computer itself. Is there a Mac equivalent of allocating resources to flash player? Or some power saver mode setting etc.

No, my problem is that my computer is always a lot slower after crashing, which goes away with a couple of reboots.

I don’t, or at least only exceptionally and not for quite a while. Sounds like a network/connection problem. I did note you have net jitter between 10 and 40. That’s pretty bad IMHO. Mine is normally around 10, often consistently under. It creeps up to around 40 when performance first noticeably degrades. Much higher, 100+ say, and it affects playability.

I can do some more snooping. I’d say 10 is probably the norm. It might just have been that I was on a server with a lot of people.

This is what I think the problem is. There is some sort of restriction that is holding things back. I mean my MBP is basically the best you can buy. It’s less than a year old. The software is up-to-date. It should have no problems running a flash game. I mean I do 3D modeling, photoshoping, video rendering, everything on here and it handles just fine. It’s literally just realm.

Well I haven’t played the game in a year so it’s hard to say. It has always happened on this computer, but my sample size is only maybe a month. On my previous computer, which was also a MBP, everything worked just fine. Like I said, I was never able to do LH or nest, but this was before the experimental menu came out.

Like I said, I’m clocking 150 download 30 upload. That’s pretty damn good, and I’ve played on far worse. I mean I used to play league on full settings with only 30 upload and it worked just fine.

I never liked playing on Mac

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.