learning to use mystic well

I am only now playing mystic and was hoping i could learn how to play well, like whats are the helpful things mystics can do without pissing players of and how can i learn them. Also is it just practice to be able to curse but not stasis non stasis immune bosses i cant get it quite right.

As someone who plays mystic very often, it is a very useful support class in many dungeons because of the stasis and curse effect, and it is often extremely useful in the Lost Halls.

The stasis effect can be a positive in terms of making certain situations safer in case there is an enemy that poses a danger to you or in the group your in, and the stasis effect gives time for you or your group to move into safety. The stasis effect can also make a fight go faster, such as stasising the skulls in skull shrines or the cubes in cube gods.

The curse status effect makes enemies take 25% more damage and since orbs have a higher curse radius than stasis radius, you can curse enemies without stasising them. Typically, finding the range on your orb where you can curse without staisising enemies takes some practice but the curse stasis effect is very useful in general since the affected enemy takes more damage.

What swapout items, if any, should you carry?

sorry for hijacking your thread OP, but I need to know too :P

If you’re planning to run mystic with a lost halls discord, a T2 orb swapout is needed in full-skips, full-skips are where the enemies are stasised and decoyed in order for the group to make it to the marble defender faster, which saves time.
For shatters, you will need a high tier orb to be able to stasis enemies for a long time, typically used in the first bridge to stasis enemies so players can each and kill the switches needed to open the bridge to the first boss.

Typically though, you don’t really need any swap outs, although the Orb of Aether does provide a slow and paralyze effect that can be very useful.

Why t2 in particular?

Low MP cost and it stasises enemies for a reasonable amount of time.

While that’s not true (T2 costs 17.5 MP per second of stasis while T6 costs 15 MP), it is true that T2 is better for spamming and more frequent use, which is key for things like rushing.

Dang some rl in lh told us that t2 was the most efficient

It is the most efficient, key reason being that the stasis is 4 seconds and its 20 ish mana cheaper, i dont remember exact. The point being that 6 second stasis is not necessary, so those 2 seconds and 20 mana are wasted, thereby making t2 more efficient

I found two approaches to cursing without stasis worked well for me. First centre your cursor on yourself. Assuming nothing is near you you curse things in a ring around you. If anything gets too close and so gets staised it’s probably a good thing. Use this e.g. in the first second of each Cemetery wave. The only tricky bit is aiming while you do it, for which your cursor needs to go just in front of you.

Second is place your cursor beyond what you are shooting at. Hopefully this stasises nothing or only stuff you are yet to reach. It curses whatever you are shooting at, and is easy to aim. You don’t always have room to do it though, and in some places (Tomb bosses e.g.) it’s hard to do it without stasising something.

Try both and see which if either works for you. Doing both you hopefully have a technique for most situations. Better than having to e.g. aim the stasis to the side where your shots go to waste and you have to re-adjust your aim to carry on shooting.

I felt like the curse radius used to be much larger. I suggest to aim it behind the enemy you are aiming at, like skandling said, because the angle of your shot and the amplitude is more likely to be off if you are off by 1 degree in front of the enemy instead of behind, for example. Its better for aiming and such. Wear a balanced ring that gives both hp and mana; sourcestone is great, omni, etc. Ritual robe is great since it gives great wis, cant go wrong with an Ancient intellect however, as its gives 17 def. These are the orbs I recommend you have: T6/T7, ST Soul of Bearer/Reskin, Aether, and the Honey Orb (for slowing specific enemies), Conquest. I would recommend a Conflict as well, but its rare af so yeah.

Generally you can curse-or (cursor) on yourself and you will be able to curse with out stasising. This, to me, works at the usual range a mystic will be playing at.

Orb of conquest is a great swapout for dealing damage and cursing enemies easily. It is a must have for mystic. (Scorch stone also fills this niche, but orb of conquest does AOE damage which makes it great for clearing big groups of monsters)

Orb of Aether or Honey Orb is good for slows too.

I carry Aether, Conquest, and Conflict on me. Damage, stasis, and paralyze/slow.

oh hey, another mystic thread!

the core skills for playing mystic are essentially
1.) learn to aim with curse without stasis (easy but takes a lot of practice to learn to do mindlessly)
2.) learn when to use stasis (requires tactical thinking)

for the core skills, it’s essential that you practice with a tiered orb, regardless of what tier it is- you aren’t helping your growth by using enchantment orb all the time.

aiming the curse behind is one valid way to do it, although unless you are playing on some massive monitor, being able to put your cursor behind your enemy usually means you are too close to them. you should be using all 8-9 tiles of your range in most if not all scenarios, you aren’t playing a dagger class.

because of this i usually aim between myself and the enemies i want to curse.

yea, this is also pretty valid. it’s also pretty okay to just flick the cursor at your character so that you don’t have to worry about aiming while cursing at the same time (curse lasts pretty long anyways)

minor note, but cem enemies are stasis immune, so go ham on the curse in cem

the second point, which is learning when to stasis enemies, really just comes down to your knowledge of the game and your ability to assess situations in a split second. there’s obvious cues that you can just memorize when raiding, but outside of raids you should try to trust your own judgement and remember that it’s not the end of the world if you guessed wrong (boohoo, you can’t hit something for 6 seconds, the world isn’t going to end)

some basic scenarios to think about when trying to learn to stasis
1.) panic button - if you or someone else is in immediate danger then you should press the button to neutralize the situation- a well placed stasis can help someone get out of trapped situations (very important in something like shatters).
2.) ignoring unnecessary things - i usually stasis the minions at lotll when they come in a big wave, because people want to hit the boss when it’s vulnerable.
3.) managing crowds - stasising part of a tanky, difficult crowd of enemies can make it easier to deal with, as you can focus on a smaller portion of the enemies at a time. be careful about this line of thought, because in larger player groups, the increased amount of AOE dps from bows and abilities may be lost by stasising some enemies.

equipment is pretty fluff and also changes over time. mystic builds very strongly with wismod and a lot of the UT/ST orbs synergize especially well with extra wis. at the very least, make sure your mystics are maxed in wis, even if you dont choose a wis build.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.