Lore in RotMG

Just a random thought I had, but what are your guys’ thoughts on the lore of RotMG?

The only thing we are given for sure is that we are in some kind of realm where we are the intended food for the minions of a mad god named Oryx.

There exist numerous items that mention some strange entities/occurrences - guilds of “timeshifter thieves”, “nightwing dragons”, “dark elves”, “astral wars”, “great mountain thaumaturgists”, etc. Some questions hang over our heads too: who are some of the dungeon bosses? Who is the Forgotten King? Why is Oryx the only god around? What was the Staff of EP like before it got cracked? Why is there another Oryx in a wine cellar?

Do you guys think that lore in RotMG should be elaborated on at all?

(P.S. pretty much the only other piece of lore in the game that the game creators have confirmed: the statue of Oryx in the vault with flowers and moss all over it implies that there was a time before Oryx went mad - the statue exists most likely because Oryx was worshiped)

Yeah I’m really into Lore. Like septa is was oryx’s father but how did oryx kill him ;000. Plus why does lord of lost loot drop ice cave, was that his old kingdom???

oh some great lore makers are @MrLoaf , @shaxasno and ik that @JawsJakt and @Ickabod create lots of stories, actually lots of realm users created stories here:

I personally think that RotMG’s lore is a mess. Many things will end up contradicting one another. Different developers working on the game only complicates it further. We’ll only know the truth behind it from the original devs.

Of course, many people have given their own shot at understanding it, mostly filling in missing pieces through their own logic and creativity.

Most people don’t care for the lore, they just run around, shoot stuff, get loot, die, repeat. It would be a waste of time for the original devs to elaborate the lore before Kabam’s time.

I can’t say I don’t love RotMG’s chaotic personality though, possibly the best thing about it.

I am a lore writer, just too lazy to write a lot like these guys do xD

<3 <3 <3 <3

https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/official-lore

Oryx statue:

Yeah, why IS there a Oryx statue in the vault?

Alex: I wanted to imply that there was a time before Oryx became mad and began feeding adventurers to his minions.

Flavor text from the Steam trading cards released under Kabam:

Djinn: Summoned into the Realm by Shaitan, these Djinn serve as part of the attack force in the Mountains of the Realm.

Avatar: Charged with guarding the only entrance to The Shatters. Within is a dark power which once sought to take over Oryx’s Realm.

Prisoner: Encased within a Mysterious Crystal, this strange entity seeks to destroy perhaps even Oryx himself.

According to a Kabam contest, the Nexus shop wizards are named Bill and Ted.

I, on the other hand, enjoy a different kind of lore ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12292046/1/Thessal-s-Trench-Thessal-x-Oryx

(nsfw)

(nsfw)

enjoy it u horny boi

Here’s my version of that!

https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/equipment-lore#equip15

idk here’s my backstory of the cloak tho…

https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/equipment-lore#equip16

He isn’t…

https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/gods-of-the-realm

Well surely Medusas and the like aren’t nearly as powerful as Oryx, seeing that they are his minions. I feel like they aren’t really of god status, only that Oryx calls them “gods”. Much like you might have a mother, but she has her own mother; despite shared titles they are of different status positions(probably not a good analogy, but I think you get my point)

The only other “god-like” status we have seen in RotMG comes from the Forgotten King, but we don’t really know who/what he is and how he relates to Oryx.

@piggby 's is better

:sob: probably is tho

get beat by a childs comic! :slight_smile:

xd rip me

I’m also really into the lore, but I don’t want to hear a made-up story. I want to hear the LEGIT lore!! We should make a (mind went blank and forgot) (its a thingy that we all sign and it makes an impact) that makes the WildShadow, Kabam, and Deca Rotmg Team and sit them down and they have a chat/podcast of the lore. (I know crazy idea, but this story is the best lore I’ve ever seen in a video game!)

petition?[quote=“DarkKoala, post:16, topic:4020”]
WildShadow
[/quote]

i dont know where they went[quote=“DarkKoala, post:16, topic:4020”]
Kabam
[/quote]

they don’t care, not there game anymore[quote=“DarkKoala, post:16, topic:4020”]
Deca Rotmg Team
[/quote]

that could work, but i doubt they have actually made lores

I completely agree; I’m most interested in canonical lore rather than fanmade lores, as good as they may be.

The main problem is, of course, the constantly-changing developers of the game resulting in different lore-concepts(e.g., Rock Dragon, Shatter, etc. not part of WS’s original game vision).

Furthermore, the descriptions from the different game devs change…

for instance:

WS T12 Wand, RECOMP descrip: A great golden wand of the heavens, created by angels to wreak justice on the slayers of the innocent.

Kabam T12 Katana, MASA descrip: A magnificent legendary blade which only cuts those who deserve death.

DECA ST Sword, INDOMPTABLE descrip: All initiates who start the path of becoming a Dragon Tamer are given a special weapon. If an initiate complete the Path, alive, this weapon is given a name by the Elders.

We can see quite a difference in the writing styles and inclusion of lore(other entities); DECA has quite an affinity to referring to unknown entities, while Kabam distances itself from grandiose descriptions, preferring to keep the flavor text relatively tame; WS has a tendency to vaguely insinuate past occurrences but rarely elaborates as much as DECA does.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.