Lost Halls Dungeon Idea

Well, that’s good, I guess. I recall him being incredible with colors in sprites.

No, I don’t feel that you inadequately credited him. I just feel like people who didn’t worry about the credits never realized how much work he put in.

Yep, that’s it. I really liked the lore and idea behind it. Then again, I’m neglecting Lost Halls itself, and choosing one other than Frostbite Cavern.

Is it bad that I actually forgot it?

Great idea as always, but not sure how I feel about the Void Entity fight using the same tileset as the first Shatters boss. The apparently most difficult boss in the game shouldn’t rely on reused assets, which is reminiscent of the post-msellers Kabam lack of quality and thoughtfulness to most of their dungeon aesthetics (i.e. Puppet Theatre being some kind of weird frankenstein-ish mix with Snake Pit walls and breakable tiles connecting each room, Guild Hall floors, and Manor carpets).

Hopefully it’s different in the actual version.

You know, I’ve never really gave any in-depth thoughts on the Lost Halls, so hey. It’s interesting reading through the documentation for a dungeon design that I will never ever complete because I suck.

First and foremost, yes to this dungeon. I’d like to see a proper labyrinth dungeon with good drops that makes players actually tag along together. Whether the player base at large does is another matter, though that’s their loss.

The Agonized Titan boss room is deliberately very small, but is it large enough to avoid projectiles that ignore obstacles? Spell bombs, poisons, the lot of them. I’m a little worried that the boss room itself would enable player betrayal; a player could rush ahead and activate the entire boss routine without worrying about those meddlesome other players. There’s rewarding players for braving the front line, which I support, but that’s at the cost of potentially punishing others for staying behind to help others and not zooming to the boss with no regards for anyone else.

I feel I should reiterate that I suck at the game, so you can probably take that worry with a grain of salt, since I’m not the zoomy-zoom sanic kind of player anyway.

The other boss rooms I have no real qualms with, and especially kind of admire the idea of a boss that can’t move outside of a slowly growing hazard. The enemy bestiary is wonderfully detailed, and my only thoughts on the whole thing is that the constant copy-paste headers for every description make the thing a lot more involved than it aught to be, and probably could’ve been condensed into a chart with Behavior, Movement, Aggression, Immunities, Drops, etc.

I like the Oryx Admiral’s Devo hat. Also, any particular reason why so many things are immune to Stasis? I’m a little torn as a Mystic main because I think I know the answer, but it still limits her crowd controlling abilities to a few battles (even though I guess her main role nowadays is to grant curse, and Stasis is a happy side-effect now).

The aesthetics of the dungeon make me weep in submission. Though a minor nitpick; what image did you base the Hierophant Card off of? Most of the ones I find have the Hierophant in a brilliant red, which I personally would’ve used in the card. I say that desperately hoping that I didn’t actually draw the card and forgot about it.

The untiered items are all great, but even if the Necromancer is underpowered, I’m not sure how I feel about a UT that’s simply better in almost every way, but just way more expensive.

And finally, the point that I actually wanted to initially make but felt bad about not really contributing to the discussion over the dungeon enough. I’m happy, elated even, that you liked my ideas for Quiet mechanics enough to use it in this dungeon, but what did the previous version of Quiet do?

I have now updated every enemy sprite in the document with fully animated and high quality gifs!

I’m against the reuse of assets as well, but since the boss already ties into the pure evil and the Shatters bridge tiles are designed to fit it, they work perfectly together. Even if I were to make new ground tiles, they would likely end up looking very similar to the point where it isn’t really worthwhile.

The room described in the document is way too small in action. You’d be forced to stand practically on top of him and, as you said, it causes players to interfere with each other.

That’s because I was following Kabam’s rigid design format at the time. I’ll probably condense those headers later so that it’s less cluttered.

I put a lot of thought into the immunities enemies have in this dungeon. If too many enemies were able to be Stasised, Mystics would be overpowered since monsters come in groups. Instead, I tried to use Stasis immunity as a way to let Mystic’s get through meatshields. The most obvious example of this is the Oryx Infantry family. It normally takes a lot of damage to penetrate the rotation of Oryx Armorbearers, but Mystics can Stasis the front line so that people have a clear shot at the Oryx Swordsmen and Champion.

I figured it would be too difficult to accuracy recreate the card itself in a highly limiting 4x2 frame since it depicts a whole person.

Instead, I opted to use the primary colors of the dungeon (gold and purple) to indicate a good versus evil balance as a reference to the Marble Colossus and Void Entity, as well as the necromantic cult mentioned in the lore. I hope you deem it a worthy addition to the assortment of cards!

My version of Quiet was convoluted and pointless. It would disable secondary attacks from enemies such as the star from a Beholder or the bomb from a Medusa. This was a stupid design choice in retrospect, as it would not only require every enemy to have a manually designated “secondary” attack, but it likely wouldn’t be very useful in the first place.

When you created this, was simplicity a factor in the reuse of assets as well? IKEA rooms, hallways and some tile sprites, was there an intentional motive to make for easier implementation?

Like I know that Phops designed a god lands dungeon (with tumbleweed and the sorts) that was clever, but also made for really easy implementation should Kabam have wanted to make it.

Since you’re going to read this thread a lot more, I may as well ask this now:

Are you planning on making/re-releasing dungeon ideas? If not, are you speaking with Silex about it?

I don’t think I see how much health/def the void thing has at first

how much does it have

The simplicity of the dungeon’s aesthetics came as side effect of the identical labyrinth rooms. If every room was distinct, it wouldn’t be much of a maze. With the colored gem tiles, occasional bones, candles on the wall and a small assortment of ground tiles, there’s enough variance so that each room has a bit of visual flair, but not enough to make every room be distinct. I would have just kept each room completely identical, but then the dungeon would be a visual bore. The goal was to give it a sense of beauty in the elegant (yet somewhat decrepit) white halls, not to just be ugly. I’m hoping that balance has been struck.

I’d still like to make the Hidden Palace dungeon idea someday. It’s the only one of my ideas that had substantial brainstorming put into it. I even began work on the event boss at one point, but that has since been lost. Maybe I’ll get around to it in the future someday, I could see it being a more fun version of the Shatters.

100,000 HP, but take those values with a grain of salt.

I remember looking at this dungeon a couple of months ago and I still love it. Just a couple of questions:
How included are you on the process of deca modifying the dungeon to make it ready for the game? And, if so, how changed is it from the original? Also, do you prefer the original or the revised?
I live the commitment you put into this project and I hope that you keep making better ones in the future!

Def?

Thanks for the support! Deca themselves are mostly hands-off with this project, it’s Kiddforce who is leading the development. I’m clueless when it comes to xml, so he’s the one doing all the actual creating, so I act more as a co-designer. We’ve frequently had very lengthy conversations (sometimes upwards of an hour at a time) on various design elements and how things can be improved or reworked.

As for comparing the current and original, I would have to say I prefer the current version. The original document is far from perfect, and I’d like to think we have not only dealt with the issues the original idea has, but further improved it from there. It would be biased for me to say that the current version is perfect because nothing truly is, but I think I can safely say that I find it very good without sounding arrogant, right?

Defense stats were never stated in the document. For some reason, Kabam’s version never wanted HP and DEF values. Then again, even if I did, they’d likely all be changed. It’s hard to imagine the durability of an enemy on paper.

Which version would you say is more difficult, the original or revised version?

That depends on where you draw the line between difficulty and just being unfair. The original, direct copy was arguably more difficult, but for all the wrong reasons. Half the enemies just sat on you and fired instakill blasts and others were nigh impossible to kill. The current version is certainly difficult, but it’s far more balanced and feels like a fair challenge.

Hello everyone! I waned to say that I really like the dungeon @Toastrz ! I was wondering how you gave the sprites a white background! Did you use the Rotmg skin maker, or something else?

Ok. The staff is cool, just like the white shots from the shats wizard thingy. Idk. But, maybe you should make the halls have choke points and backtracks, like not a straightforward dungeon. Ex: Manor. These are just suggestions, dungeon is actually pretty cool.

Bump bump! Here comes the hype train!

CHOO CHOO!

Holy shit, the link for the orginal document in the OP has more than a thousand clicks.

This image took more time than I care to admit but it was worth every second.

Wtf hahaha that’s amazing (Also never seen the key sprite before, looks amazing!)

So what I take from this is that you’re inside Thomas the Tank Engine…

There’s an innuendo in there somewhere.