Making a decent gaming pc

Recently I have been thinking of making my own pc. Sadly I have 0 information on what parts are good. I would like to make a sub 1k dollar pc for most games at 120 fps. To me whenevr I reasearch parts it just looks like intel187572886478276 or some random model I have 0 idea on wha it does with 5000 letters and numbers behind. If anyone has pointers on what I can do that would be appreciated.

also i have 0 experience with building a pc. bassicaly i’m a 5 year old kid trying to learn quantum physics

this is my laptop which has never failed me.

Not quite a “custom pc” but if you can’t be assed to learn all the bits and bobs that go into a pc just buy a laptop. More portable too.

Nowadays a newborn can construct a PC with oem parts. There’s tons of websites and guides out there to help you choose / influence you to buy specific bands and parts.

But in general:
Read this https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/beginnersguide/

Put your part list together using this: https://pcpartpicker.com/
(Pls send us your list to critique)

Use this for CPU comparison: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Use this for Graphics Card comparison: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

And for the love of your sanity buy an ssd to play games on.

I already tried pcpart picker but I’m clueless on what parts to pick

Instead of giving a man a fish to feed him for the day, I’ll teach you how to fish or direct you to someone who can.

I would recommend watching Linus Tech Tips for help on assembly and to educate yourself on components. Specifically this video here.

And for my own 2 cents, unless you’re willing to wait a couple months for a graphics card to come in, be prepared to overpay for any graphics card and work that into your budget accordingly.

Finally, make a budget as in absolute limit e.g. $1000, stay within it. That is all. Remember taxes and shipping.

No point in having an $800 card with a $50 cpu.

I got time to wait for prices to go down. Still need some cash to get all the pc parts

As someone who built a new PC very recently, let me tell you that you can forget GPUs for the time being.
Fortunately, my Intel’s i5 11400 integrated GPU is enough to run this game. I’m hitting 144 FPS consistently.

One word of advice: Try the best you can to build a 144hz setup, even it if means gaming at 1080p. The difference going from 60 to 144 hz is huge. Of course, that means you will have to buy a new monitor. Fortunately 1080p 144hz monitors have gotten cheaper over time, I paid around 160€ for mine. Expect to pay near 300€ if you want a G-Sync monitor though.

Listen to this man! :point_up:️

One thing I’d suggest is starting by buying smaller things first to soften the blow. I started with the case and monitor, because I could easily test the monitor, and it’d be very unlikely for the case fan to be DOA.

Good luck. You’ve got quite the task ahead.

you can use prebuilt if you dont have time

solid windows laptops (lenovo, e.t.c) are always good unless you are doing heavy use work though

I have 80 fps monitors already at my house but I feel the difference in fps cause I did use my moms compuer which has good fps

reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

If you are looking into laptops I personally recommend getting a Lenovo Legion when it goes on sale. They look nice, and got the power to boot. Or if you got classes and stuff you want to use your laptop in, get one of the laptops that are thin and portable but can be docked with a discrete GPU for gaming. Best of both worlds

80 fps? WTH are you talking about? Refresh rate != frame rate.

go to microcenter and buy the powerspec pcs as they are custom and you can change them later as they are build by microcenter

ik but I still feel the difference

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

?? He said he feels the difference when using his Mom’s computer. Most likely referring to responsiveness since it runs games at a higher frame-rate and/or the monitor has a higher refresh rate

Ah, I see why. He talked about FPS, so I didn’t get that he was talking about refresh rate for a while.

Go to micro center and build a pc its so much easier to do that to build it yourself. Go there and get help on what parts to pick but basically you need
at least:
500gb SSD
8GB memory
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GeForce GTX 1050 ti 4gb
also get a 100 dollar motherboard and you are pretty much done
if need wifi buy tp link

Now that RAM should be 16 GB. The reason is because it will improve performance slightly having extra on low. But 32 GB on high means a more responsive fps. However on tight ultra quality there is not much significant difference between a 16 GB RAM Card and a 32. So 16 GB is recommended. Sometimes when you do some program or load many programs it could go past 50% so it’s great if you’re a multi-tasker.

https://youtu.be/W1xlHZ9OGPk…

I would try to get a 1 TB SSD if possible, but it would cost more but saves you the hassle of having to organize more often on the capacity by deleting stuff or uploading online on the cloud.

Intel chip with +4 GHz is a recommended buy. Probably 5.1 Ghz just to have really responsive performance. Around 3.49 GHz is for most demanding programs and that is what I tuned on my 3.8 GHz max, but 2.8 GHz base frequency chip. Also make sure it’s close to 8 cores and dual-thread (16 threads total).

Intel has a software called Intel XTU and you can lower the rate of your cpu to save energy but only really if you get the 5.1 Ghz cpu. I know it may cost more I think, but that is more important than getting a really high end gpu which cost way more. The lowest gpu to have is around Nvidia 900’s I think but I do recommend going to GTX or GTX 1050 or higher, TI is good or 1650 or higher. But remember the CPU is still more important for speed of calculating in many programs which are intensive and require more power.
My laptop which has the Intel i7 7700HQ is fair and is a good standard, although it can get hot if no air conditioner or if not in say a cold enough place. I manage in a kind of hot place already with little to no air conditioning involved.

I also want to say when I use Unity and cap the application to 53 FPS it goes to +130 FPS and so that makes the game feel responsive and smooth. Optimizing your Game FPS and CPU is key to a good game.
Maybe GPU will matter at some point because it’s like the limit for graphic FPS versus CPU calculating the send rate to that GPU. But with $1000 it’s up to you. My laptop costed $1300 pre-built. I just couldn’t figure out how to get a gpu when it is always out of stock lol. But nowadays they have the back-to-school deals and I think around the price of my laptop you could have done way better than I did 5-6 years ago when there was barely anything good to buy in my eyes. I was very in need to get going so I got what I got. No other option because they were expensive at that time and that was the best value for the equipment during that time.

But still building your laptop or desktop means you kind of have a gaming setup so you can install almost whatever you like. I recommend searching online for builds as some things are incompatible such as using a 64 GB RAM on certain other parts. I would rather save up for an OLED laptop if you had the option which is 3 - 4 times the cost, but if building is your thing then go for it, you’ll learn more that way except don’t get the oled experience. :pensive: Screens matter and the surface pro of microsoft is my kind of standard. Too bad my dell doesn’t compare to that very well with the liquidness of the display/screen and more accurate color. True Color on Dell isn’t as accurate as thought out to be but it still has the right color like 75-90% compared to the Surface which is +90% accurate.

As a music producer and game developer this is my take on what I experienced with my laptop(s) and stuff.

Wait a minute I got mine for around a $1000. Not bad…! Just found the picture of it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.