Memento Mori ignores 400 def instead of all defense

Memento Mori ignores 400 def instead of simply ignoring all defense.
The reason I consider this trivial is because these are the enemies with 400+ def
Only the colonies and the golem will nullify MM’s effect, so like 6 enemies.

Why can’t it just be armor piercing? Then I get to see cool purple numbers when I use it :smiley:
Is it that broken to allow it to do 400 dmg to these?

Trivial Issues Thread

Since MM doesn’t have a cooldown, it seems a bit extreme to make it pure damage. A necro with a good enough pet and a UBMP or a shroud could melt most anything while keeping enough mp for a switchout heal skull.

Just my opinion though take it as you will :hibiscus:

it might actually be as stupid as “there isn’t actually an option to do that in the item’s xml”

ignoring 400 defense would be the workaround for that if that’s the case

ANCIENT SPELL pierces

that’s not a skull though

Wait, so skulls can’t ignore all the def?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

That’s wackkkkkkkkkkkkkk

xD

I still don’t quite understand what you mean though

here’s the xml for memento mori:

the underlined “VampireBlast” line is the item’s “Activate”, it’s whatever action happens when the spacebar is pressed and you have it equipped. VampireBlast has the following attributes:

• radius
  • totalDamage
  • heal
  • ignoreDef
  • wisPerRad
  • incrRad
  • wisDamageBase
  • wisMin
  • healRange
  • condEffect
  • condDuration
  • hitsForSelfPuri
  • hitsForGroupPuri
  • color

notice there’s no armorPiercing option that could be set to “yes” to enable it to ignore all defense. there’s ignoreDef, but that has to take an actual number. you can’t set it to infinity or whatever.

the reason why the ST spell and void quiver can use AP is that they use a different activate type (BulletNova and Shoot, respectively). technically those don’t have an armorPiercing=“yes” attribute either, but they do have to have a listed projectile to fire, and <ArmorPiercing/> is a tag you can put on a projectile.

so it looks like the reason why that’s the case really is as dumb as “we can’t actually do that so let’s get close”.

Madness vs Machines…is implied to be able to have a cooldown…
Being in two communities with overlapping slang is really confusing at time XP

Sorry, I don’t follow.
I’m not pushing for MM to simply be pure damage and do a lot, I just want it to do 400 armor-piercing damage.

I don’t think that’s unreasonable, seeing as it already ignores 400 defense and in practicality essentially pierces armor.

I know what you’re saying! But it would only be truly trivial if there were no enemies that had over 400 def. Hence: split into its own topic.

Nice bug find though! :bug:

So would it break anything if the ignoreDef= number was changed from 400 to 5000 so it matched the max def of anything in-game? Or am I being really thick and that would actually do 5000 dmg.

Probably the case, give that players with <0 def take additional damage and the existence of exposed.

o mb you’re right i forgot to use my brain

But, if that were the case, then wouldn’t Memento Mori also do 800 damage against 0-def enemies?
Skulls ignore defense, meaning that instead of doing something like this:
400 - (DEF - 400) = DMG
It’s actually:
400 - (DEF - 400) = DMG ≤ 400

I think they just chose 400 for aesthetic reasons.

I agree that the ignoring should be made to affect all enemies, the current status is just silly (im aware it effects all enemies, but it does not ignore all armor for some as shown earlier in this post). @xandrack I’m not sure you understand what this post is asking, or in the case that you do none of these enemies are insanely important, this would not be a game changing revision. If you’re asking for a memento nerf, I’d encourage you to look at every class which has a more powerful damaging ability, also see that this skull does not have healing and reconsider.

Maybe they thought I’d would be too strong if it would actually do the full damage to the colonies.

Maybe it would actually, I don’t know for sure. If a weapon does too much damage the game forces a dc, which suggests that some values can’t be made arbitrarily high.

do I sense a hint of what pre-release Blade of Ages was like

Yep. The old damage cap was 3k, which could be surpassed with buffs. I say the world just wasn’t ready for its majesty.

Now I’m curious. Why does this happen?

I understand the hard limits of overflowing variables, programming wise… but I don’t think a value of 5000 would cause a DC, since all the admin weapons have base damage of 2000, with the admin wand having 3000. And many of those weapons have a higher rate of fire, up to 150 percent with the admin sword.

Combined with the creator’s ring, an item that can give you 5000 ATK, I doubt that the admins would create items that would reach the overflow limit, to DC themselves.

EDIT: Unless there’s a programmed limit set upon non admin accounts only?

I don’t know, I just know it does

having used said ring several times I can tell you that the creator’s ring does not trigger this effect (though it does break a whole bunch of other stuff), yet the old limit of 3K really did exist and you really would be forcefully disconnected for using the blade of ages with buffs. it’s more complicated than that.