Modernized Realm (A different universe)

This might be too long term to pursue but I thought it could be cool if players had access to a realm completely different from the ones we are used to. Like what would the version of Oryx be like if he was in a more technological era, where the maps and dungeons would be vibrant city-scapes and secret facilities, and the classes would be people but using less magic related tools to fight him.

Though I won’t be too surprised if this remained just a passing thought…

Literal Idea dump for this concept so far:

Lore

If this were to reference the original Realm, this could work with the conspiracy that O3 is a “fake-fight”, quite literally a manifestation of the delusions of grandeur Oryx has. As Puffagod once stated,

So why not work with that assumption? why WOULD Oryx stage such an intricate fight? In order to trick the players into thinking this is all there is to it. All while he escapes towards a less “confrontational” universe as we return to the realm… He never left the wine cellar, even after we faced O3.

This universe he managed to escape to is coincidentally is much like ours today. The means of accessing this still unknown but this is an entirely different universe on its own. However, this plan was not all in his favor. As one of his last resorts, he unknowingly abandoned his servants and influence. Much of his strength has also been lost, only fractions of it remaining. He quickly found himself lost in a modern society, yet left to his own devices.

Desperate but unshaken, determined that this would buy him enough time to rebuild his empire and gather his strength. Having only recently left his Wine Cellar, Oryx sobered up to the fact that he would have to use this society in order to but it under his reign. Although the world would not have known it, but it is gradually sinking into Oryx’s grasp, whether through the fractions of previous strength or the new found potential he now has.

Yet much like the previous realm, the some mortals of this realm refused his unjust subjugation. Thus they created a private network outside of Oryx’s dominion as a refuge. Only using specific portals in order to slowly infiltrate his domain. It would seem that the cycle repeats once more…

Classes

Rework of “Short-Long ranged” classes! These classes would ideally have different tools to make it easier to deal damage independent of the use of their ability such as combos, staggering enemies ,special moves, etc.

Long range classes also get their own version of this as well however overall the DPS would average out the same at optimized builds (More rewarding at short range, yet not insta-pop the enemy).

This would hopefully make combat more diverse and skill-expressive, yet still having familiar elements of the Perma-death bullet hell we all know and love.

• image Sniper, Ability: Satellite.

Due to the ever evolving battlefield, snipers have had to shift from their stationary equipment while still being able to have a good threat over long distances. Thus they were equipped with Orbital Satellites hooked unto an Eye piece which the sniper can use to snipe enemies from afar and gain good vision of the battle field while remaining on the move. Long-Medium ranged.

• image Agent, Ability: Camouflauge.

Masters of stealth and deception, Mercenaries can go passively invisible to the naked eye while they are a good distance away, and able to charge a deadly attack while undetected by enemies. Medium-Short Range.

• image Commander, Ability: Signal Helm.

A high ranking official which hastens his allies attacks and abilities through a Signal Waves, which connects the commander to his allies so that he can optimize their current processes. Medium-Close Range.

• image Mechanic, Ability: Toolkit.

A technical genius capable of constructing Energy-based allies on the fly using a variety of Toolkits. These toolkits require a lot of energy but are very reliable overall. Long-Medium Range.

• image Medic, Ability: Medkit.

Trained for healing even on the battlefield, although their abilities require them to be fairly immobile they can keep allies very healthy within the battlefield. Long-Medium Range.

• image Chemist, Ability: Holo-Tablet.

Unafraid to join the fray, Chemists deploy various chemicals to buff and debuff enemies by using their trusty Holo-Tablets. Holo-Tablets allow Chemists to Operate and Access Chemicals in a remote laboratory. Medium-Close Range.

• image Mercenary, Ability: Phase-Shifter.

Ruthless on the battlefield, their Phase-shifters allow them to teleport short distances or create portals for their allies.

• image Pilot, Ability: Mech.

Very heavily equipped on the battlefield using their Mechs to charge into battle. The Mechs can vary from Tank-like builds into an Aerial Ace, very vulnerable to explosions however. Long-Close Range.

• image Adept, Ability: Incendaries.

Hits very hard as their incendaries create large-scale destruction on the battlefield. Be cautious of excessive usage which could lead to undesirable consequences. Medium-Close Range.

• image Cyborg, Ability: Augmentations.

Cyborgs are very adaptable within the battlefield, able to use a variety of augmentations however require precise management. Close-Long Range.

• image Operative, Ability: Traps.

Operatives are masters of deceptive tactics, able to use traps of all shapes and sizes to snare, imprison, or immobilize enemies. Medium-Close Range.

Weapons

Divided into three categories: Long, Medium, and Short ranged weapons. ,

Long ranged: Rail cannons, Rocket launchers.
Most long ranged weapons come with increased range of vision due to their sheer strength.

Medium ranged: Assault rifles, Mini-guns, Plasma Pistols.
Best of both worlds, Medium ranged weapons have a good reliability able to scope out to a somewhat farther range of vision as well as come with unique combos.

Short ranged: Shotguns, Thruster Weapons (Literally Melee weapons with Thursters)
These weapons pack quite the punch and come with a new mechanic, combos! These will give more variety to their move set such as staggering enemies, parrying/deflecting attacks, etc.

Most classes can be proficient in using 2 weapon types to allow for more customized builds. Most of these weapons will also come with reload times so do keep that in mind.

Armors

Armors will mostly stay the same, unique only in tiers and design, yet more variations come within the UT elements. Classes will be limited to being able to access 1 armor type for the most part. This mainly for sake of simplicity as many other elements are already customizable or have been altered in some way, shape or form.

Accessories (Rings)

Mostly the same rings as well, however T4 rings onwards will mostly have a bonus effect for their corresponding stat. (e.x. Vitality Ring: If above 60 vitality, Gain healing for 4 seconds when entering combat, Vigor (Wisdom) Ring: If above 60 vigor (wisdom), Gain energized for 6 seconds when entering combat, Attack Ring: If above 60 Attack, gain damaging for 6 seconds when entering combat.). Although Health and Stamina (Mana) Rings will remain the same and gain no bonus effects.

Stats and Stat Progression

This will mostly stay the same except with Wisdom and Mana, which will primarily be changed into Vigor and Stamina respectively. Stamina will be spent on running, jumping, reloading, and using abilities.

Cities (Biomes)

Still generally a work in progress, though generally would follow something like:

Outskirts - Distinguished by a large wall surrounding the area and vendors scattered here and there. Players will have to get creative to get past the security within the zone and infiltrate the outer cities. Smugglers, drainage pipes, brute force, stealth tactics all possible and viable options.

Outer City - Upon entry, already players can sense the desolation Oryx has left behind. Shattered stores and abandoned buildings, very few rebel outposts can be spotted here but unable to distinguish ally for enemy. Much of the outer cities resources have been depleted due to the excessive demands of the inner city and the capital. Barely anything of value to be found here.

Inner City - Reconstructed area for Oryx’s legions, unlike the previous regions this is systematically and routinely visited by guards. Its unsustainable design only fueled by the extravagant demands of Oryx from the outer cities. Some valuables can be found within this area, if one were to make it out alive.

Capital - Distinguished by the various statues of Oryx, billboards and banners with residential areas as well. These places house the allied elites of Oryx and although there is considerably less security, the quality of their strength and prowess makes up for it. Extremely luxurious area and filled with private sectors. Most valuables are found here.

Privatized Sectors - These sectors amass large areas of the capital and house extremely valuable resources inside. Due to the excessive security, not much is known about this area. Although only the strongest can make it out alive.

Drainage/Waste System - Generally impossible to infiltrate mainly due to the toxic fumes and hazards which run through this system. Runs through the Capital up until the Inner City and theoretically the fastest way to get to the capital if one were strong enough to be able to bypass the above mentioned obstacles.

Although Oryx’s rise to power was quick, it was equally hasty. Most of his advisors were either strong physically or mentally, occasionally both. However, this did not mean they were qualified to be in positions of power or wield the responsibility of governing people. Regardless, not much could be done to oppose their rule.

There will be an increase of smarter AI and interactables within the areas as players will have to think on their feet and figure out ways to survive in this deadly city landscape. Like the original, there will be a set amount of Missions within each city and players will have to complete these missions in order to be sent unto a creation of Oryx (not yet Oryx himself). Once players gathered enough materials from his creations can they stand a chance to meet the big man himself.

Enemies

Other than Oryx himself, he has divided his dominion over a few elites of either his own design, or ones which willingly joined his forced before his rule… WIP

Facilities (Dungeons)

Currently a WIP although open to suggestions. Speculating on Laboratories, Hideouts, Storehouses, etc.

Miscellaneous

Oryx has become more careful in his rise of his dominion over this universe. Quick and careful to only allow a limited number of people within his realm. He has also placed a ban on pets, labeling them illegal goods which must be surrendered at once. Only a specific breed has been able to escape through Oryx’s grasp.

• Meeting and Grouping with people will mainly happen in the new Nexus (Open to name suggestions). This can randomly be queued as well. Canonically, this is due to Oryx’s influence to limit the strength of possible rebels crossing his realm. Mechanically, this is to give the class choice more meaning and have more impact towards parties. A party can be a minimum of 1 or a maximum of 6.

• Pets are going to be much easier to level up however will be very situational (Up till legendary in terms of grind). Pet Skills will be completely reworked, Removal of Heal, Magic Heal, and Electric skills in return would be compensated within the level of the characters (stronger self regeneration). Possible skills could be a mix of Active and Passive skills (possible examples: “Store”, “Assault”, “Mount”, “Scout”, “Sentry”, etc.). Pets were filtered by Oryx for obvious reasons.

This is slowly becoming my hyperfocus, so might condense this further somehow. (Possibly a different format or way to document all this nonsense).

More to come!

Toastrz mentioned that there’s a small possibility on the (presumably very distant) horizon, so it’s at least kind of on the minds of the devs?

Also, for context on Toastrz comment:
https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/elder-realms-an-endgame-idea-by-puffagod/55546/219

Think he wasn’t referring to a harder realm but one filled with technology as opposed to swords

The problem with that is it would be a massive undertaking, to completely redesign the whole of the Realm. Not just the graphics but gameplay to match – as you note it would open up possibilities for new sorts of encounters + terrain, which might need complex new enemy behaviours.

Much more realistic is what they are doing already, incrementally redesigning the game to bring it up to date. So far we’ve had various dungeons and godlands. But while the dungeon overhauls have been quite significant, godlands is basically a graphics update. There are a few new gods but they are pretty rare. I would think any redesign of other areas will be similar – subtle with hardly any impact on gameplay and balance.

What I would like to see is new Realm maps. The ones we have are a mixed bag, with some easier to navigate than others, some with more frustrating start locations, or spawn locations for some quests. So make some more (they could even run a competition to make them), add them to the game for a week say, then run a poll to see if people prefer them.

Have you at least skimmed the entire document? There’s definitely some of that present.

Yes, but I’m not sure if technology is exactly what I think of when I hear elder realms. And no, I haven’t skimmed the entire document, it is hundreds of pages long.

This isn’t really an idea I have high hopes for no. This would mainly be an idea dump for this random fascination I had a few days back.

I was just thinking of this! It would be interesting to see these a mix up in this kind of thing and I find the additional poll being very considerate to the players.

I’ve tried skimming some of the document and pretty much in the same position with DeeBomb. But yeah, this idea is more of a “fan spin-off” of certain things based on the mechanics in realm.

But yeah I’m talking about a different thing, a variation from the Nexus to the encounter of “Oryx” reshaped to something looking more like a post-dystopian world. Not a continuation but a different Universe all together, with only trace elements hinting at the previous one.

Buildings with multiple platforms the player can scale into. New classes which use firearms or such. Pets reworked to function differently. And a story of how an “Oryx” happened unto this universe.

Oh, that’s right. I briefly mentioned some things about this conversation to DeeBomb in our Discord, and forgot that you wouldn’t have seen that… I can see what you mean more fully now. Although that document does have a couple of sci-fi ish themed biomes (namely “The Mire,” “The Ruins,” little nods here and there to other things like Thessal’s “Alexander” going forth to conquer the ends of the universe), having a dystopian setting of the current realm is indeed differently from this “hail to the past” setting.

As far as the “origins of Oryx,” that is definitely nodded to with one of the other works of Puffagod’s, Oryx Paracosm, which is alluded to in the Elder Realms, since that was created afterwards.

Your idea could be pretty cool; I think the closest that we’ve had (that I’m aware of) was when the Parasites were taking over the realm and Oryx’s castle, but the realm aspect itself was pretty weak by full blown dystopian means.

I’ve finally tried a crack at the lore this could hold, still thinking of the cityscape and background of the world though. I’ll leave this on hold for now as I have a bunch of academics I’ve been putting off :sweat_smile:

I really like this idea, might use it as headcanon hehe

I’d be honored :>
Although I will still continue with this “modern spin-off” idea, I’d love to see what you could do with something like this!

feel free to chalk the sigil and conjure me should you like any thoughts!! Excited to see where this goes :))))

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.