Monk (New Class)

I see you’ve added a t6 ability, which is good as it lets you see the ‘progression’. Er, what progression? Apart from the standard and minor stat boosts, the difference between t0 and t6 is 60% more weak duration.

I don’t know what you mean, actually with the Smite effect. How does the ‘every 0.5 seconds’ work? Normally when you have an enemy nerf that scales it simply scales its duration. Mystic’s Curse duration, or Huntress’s Trap duration. So the duration going from 3 to 4.8 is all you need.

But that’s a very limited reward for slaying 02 to get your t6. Especially as it costs more MP; as with some other abilities where the main effect does not scale (tiered shields e.g. all stun for 3 sec) many people will just use the t0 so they can use Redemption more often.

What you should have done is have Redemption duration scale with tier. It’s not clear whether it’s better to have a long or short Redemption time, so being able to use different tiers to vary it makes sense. Llke e.g. Prisms where people use t0 for maximum spamability, but higher tiers for longer lasting decoys.

While not explicitly stated: there is a 0.25 second increase in inflicting Weak per tier; the passive Vitality boost increases by 1 per tier starting at T4. I did not account for robe’s passive Wisdom boost, and am leaning towards removing the passive Wisdom from Prayer Beads.

I found it hard to describe how Smite follows the player, so I used Ornaments of Unity’s reactive proc of dealing damage every 0.2 seconds. Imagine that when a Monk casts their ability, the player has a constant effect that pulses [nonstop (preferably) or every .0.5 seconds] where ever the player is positioned. In short, if the Monk isn’t within range of their enemy, the enemy isn’t affected with Smite, thus, is not weakened.

Yes, that’s all the T6 does, it increased the duration the ability is cast.

So be it. Monks without T6 won’t hit the breakpoint of 75 Vitality (which, now that I think of it, the T6 should provide +5 Vitality and no Wisdom).

No. This class requires the player to decide if they should focus on inflicting Weak on the enemy while dodging, or absorbing as much damage as they can before they retreat, or both. Not only will a longer Redemption allow for more heals from outside sources that will more than likely allow the Monk to heal completely, but it makes no sense from a solo point of view since the Monk can only spam the ability/take damage as much as they can before it is too dangerous and they die.

Why would you want to take damage??

You don’t necessarily have to. The posts of this thread suggest that the point of the ability forces the Monk to need to take damage. Which, neglects the stats I appropriated for the class and what they provide.

Thing is the game has different areas. Some areas you can take a lot of damage quickly, so e.g. might want a short Redemption. Some areas you take damage more slowly so might prefer a longer Redemption.

Having it fixed at 2.5 seconds makes no sense. Or to put it another way, why 2.5 seconds? Why that exact number? If you explain how you got to that number, it might be clear what assumptions you’ve made, what you’ve not taken account of.

Both scenarios dependent on positioning.

Same reason Lutes increase 0.5 seconds, Decoys increase 1 second, or Cloaks increase 1 second. But, really, Smite’s increased duration will allow Monk’s to stay combat a little longer after they restore heal from Redemption.

On top of all that, Monk’s wide range of damage allows the player to have higher chances of hitting higher than a sword class (by precisely hitting pressure points, some lore), which will enable the class to either kill their enemy a lot quicker or a lot slower.

Personally I am not a fan of the weapon, and the weapon-armor combo. The weapon is too close ranged and doesn’t have enough dps to make up for the range, and the robe just makes it feel even closer.

The ability is a cool idea, but I think it would be better suited for a UT of an existing class like priest.

Well this all got intense

I was writing about Redemption, not Smite, in that reply ! Both your t0 and t6 ability items have 2.5 second Redemption duration. Why?

Ah. Excuse me.

Well to understand why there is a fixed 2.5 second, I based it on the premise that this ability will not feature a cooldown, which another poster suggested early in the thread.

That being said, with a 2.5 second duration, the ability can be spammed, which can extend Redemption. This does open up the possibility of over-healing. However, its spamming capabilities are limited by the amount of health and mana exhausted.

And, well, in that same post you describe two situations where some would prefer longer Redemption for more damage or shorter Redemption for burst damage. My question is, why would you want to be taking more damage in the first place (with a long Redemption), when you can avoid damage outright? The quick heal from burst damage in 2.5 seconds is something that was intended in the first place. This doesn’t really answer “why” it wouldn’t make sense to you, but it will certainly help me figure out what your concern is with a fixed duration.

My question is, why would you want to be taking more damage in the first place (with a long Redemption), when you can avoid damage outright?

In general longer lasting abilities, such as higher tier cloaks, are more efficient. They may cost more MP but the duration scales more so the duration/mana is better.

So Redemption if it scales could be the same; be more efficient with longer durations, when you are able to soak up damage for longer. Or if you want shorter durations, and have a good pet, so MP efficiency is not so important, you can use a lower tier.

Again there are other abilities where the top tier is not always preferable, Prisms for example where you can use a t6 to get the longest duration, or use a t0 if teleporting more often is more important. It’s more interesting when lower tier abilities have their uses, often as they let you use them more due to lower MP cost.

Right. As with quivers that do not have higher paralyze duration, but more damage.

I added Redemption changes to be more efficient in effects on players in this post,

I am not sure about this change, though. I believe the “effectiveness” of the ability fairly lies within Smite’s duration.

What you’re suggesting for Redemption in adding a longer duration for more efficiency doesn’t make any sense. 70% in 2.5 seconds is 70% in 5 seconds.

Or are you suggesting that with a longer duration of Redemption, a player can have more time in Redemption to select the projectiles that will them. In such case, I ask again, why not avoid damage in the first place?

that’s the question I ask every time you bring up redemption

Seriously, why not make it an On Hold ability so you can choose when to stop absorbing damage and heal back?

And it’s something I agree with. Let me elaborate on the first time you quoted me. Maybe absorb wasn’t appropriate. A Monk wants to tank as much non-piercing projectiles as stated here,

Anyways,

I’m not entirely against this. It will just function too similarly to Paladin’s pre-worked Seal.

I need some clarification right now. is the restoration of redemption an instant heal, or is it a heal over time thing?

Instant heal.

Let me describe this class, from my point of view:

This is a close range, damage-dealing class with some supportive abilities sprinkled on the edges. Its stats are quite the roller-coaster of emotions, having the 720 hp and 70 vit of the armor-bearing classes, the 65 spd and 25 def of his hit-n-run cousins and the strange 60 wis but 252 combination, to name a few.

His choice of armor and weapon seems contradictory, but fear not: his ability compensates this by letting him restore all health lost during a chosen, short time window.This effect is called Redemption. In practice, this means that he can sit on enemies, take the full dmg and still heal it all while quickly killing off said enemy. This is the now or die strategy.

Secondly, he can perpetually stay in battle, carefully dodging but still choosing to tank large amount of shots at desired moments using the redemption buff.

In both scenarios, Weakening is your man. With its help, you can tank more (reducing dmg received allows you to take more shots, widening the range of enemies on which you can sit on without dying instantly) or take less overall dmg.

In the end, ‘‘What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger’’ as he likes to say.

also, this would be the only class on which I would prefer HP over DEF. And I hope we would have a point blank gauntlet included on launch, as I see how fun it would be sit on enemies

Necromancer: ‘’…and I took that personnally.’’

You don’t know how fun it is to dominate things by sitting on them

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.