Movies You Like to Watch

What movies/series do you guys like to watch? I am a huge fan of marvel movies myself, and not much can compete with the pirates of the Caribbean.

I found that I like Inception and Now You See Me

I used to be so obsessed to Frozen when it was released. But now… not anymore ;(

WALL-E was awesome.

I don’t really do movies, I hate to sit still for over an hour and 1-2 hours doesn’t feel like enough time to properly develop or make me feel for a character. I like tv shows because they are broken up into single episodes and have far more time to develop a character, but recent american tv is all trash and none of it is worth putting time into, so mostly I watch anime nowadays, recently Re:Zero and really enjoying that so far, fits my tastes of “overly violent and decently sad”

yea, gotta agree. sitting around watching something for 2 hours is not for me. I’d rather be doing something.

Toy Story 1 was my parent’s first date, so PIXAR franchise holds a special place in our hearts. There’s a little bit of anime we do (like Miyazaki; Naussica of the Valley of the Wind is probably my sisters’ collective favorite), some of the Disney movies, and a lot of old ones in the early Technicolor or black and white era. We’ve never really had channel networks, so there’s a limitation on that.

Many of us, including myself, would rather play a game than watch a movie though, agreed. I’d rather be using my brain and controlling something over merely gazing at a screen! (The SNES and DS Lite were part of my childhood)

Ooh, I have to ask, did you ever play any Pokémon games?

Off topic

Sadly, Pokémon was one of the few franchises we didn’t grow up with for whatever reason. We were a fan of the animals but knew very little about them until more recent years. I’ve got a lot of the cards for my siblings.

More on topic

My sisters like to tease the anime characters from the show, for a movie reference!

I don’t think I’ve watched a movie I’ve actually been invested in since guardians of the galaxy 2. That’s not to say that’s my favorite, but instead just how little I care about movies in general since I view them so rarely. Most conversations about popular movies pass right through me like a ghost, I just don’t get it. I’ve gotten far more enjoyment out of flinging myself at the pure vessel in hollow knight until it bends over and screams for mommy than I’ve ever gotten out of watching movies. I’m sure there’s some I’ve watched I got a kick out of, but it’s been so long I can’t remember any off the top of my head

Pure Vessel is definitely my favorite boss! That game is amazing! Going to disappear from the world for a few days when Silksong releases, that’s for sure.

On topic, I loved Spiderman: into the Spiderverse! It was the first movie where I actually finished watching it and thought, “dang, I guess I have a favorite movie now!” I have also been watching some anime movies recently and, other than the obvious recommendations of Ghibli films, I would highly recommend The Girl who Leapt through Time and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (trust me, you cannot judge the movie by its title).

As far as movies with people in it, I really enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption. I am not really a lover of “critically acclaimed” movies, but that one is definitely something you should see.

I also tend to enjoy series more than movies, but movies that are tangent stories of shows I have watched are a pretty fun mixture, I would say.

parasite was fun, bit overrated but not bad

Movies can be pretty good, but I tend to like watching videos/series or playing games better

Recently rewatched Journey to the Center of the Earth and Edge of Tomorrow

Also Love Death + Robots

Lord of the Rings

Moana

Another fellow admirer of Tolkien, I see!

Here’s a little secret of mine… The Hobbit is one of 3 instances I liked a movie better than its book

I prefer the Hobbit movies to the books as well

A list of some movies I have liked recently and why you may be interested in them:

A Fistful of Dollars / Yojimbo

Summary

If you’ve ever watched a modern western, your viewership has likely been influenced by the these films. Leone’s “A Fistful of Dollars” was itself so directly influenced by Kurosawa’s “Yojimbo” that it lost a copyright suit. Even still, both films have merit with moral tones as well as some stunning cinematography. The former spawned a new genre of film called the spaghetti western, while the latter is a demonstration of what makes a good movie - pacing, photography, and acting. If you are interested in Japanese cinema and don’t know where to start, I would suggest watching “A Fistful of Dollars” and then watching “Yojimbo” - it’s fun to compare and contrast the two movies and it’s much easier to follow along if you aren’t used to subtitles.

The Lighthouse

Summary

It’s a strange feeling to recommend this movie - I imagine many of you would actively dislike it, but give it a good recommendation anyways. Shot in black and white with a square aspect ratio, this movie is really the antithesis to a big-budget movie meant for theatres. It’s what would happen if an art-film managed to nab two popular and strong actors (Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe) and a solid budget. Two characters in constant conflict, brotherhood, and tense underlying sexuality (this isn’t a spoiler, it’s the nature of art-film style movies to expect elements like this) and an exercise in what you as the viewer can piece together. If you like being able to draw comparisons and see the progression of themes, you may like this. You may also find this compelling if you enjoy the heightened language of Shakespeare, historically accurate language, or if H. P. Lovecraft floats your boat. While technically tense film with imagery that would give it claim to being horror, it’s not actively scary and instead serves to show to decent that a men are capable of. Watch this one with subtitles.

Dead Poets Society / Good Will Hunting

Summary

These movies almost seem like the same movie. I would personally say they are the best Robin Williams movies - in both he plays a more serious character to great effect. If you are in need of what amounts to “life juice” these movies are full to the brim. The lessons they present end up at the same place (which is daring to live what life we can) taking the risks we are scared to take. DPS is certainly a more melancholy movie, but the effect and impression is similar. If you like a more retro style go with “Dead Poets Society” if you like the braincel iamverysmart character with a heart of gold go with “Good Will Hunting”. Or both.

Honeyland

Summary

This is an achingly strong documentary and it shows: It has a 100% positive critical response on Rotten Tomatoes with 119 critic’s reviews and an 86% audience score - (some of the audience reviews are pretty stupid so take that with a grain of salt). It is the story of a beekeeper who must contend with the changes in her environment brought in by external forces as well as the changes in her family dynamic with her mother. This is a film that you are constantly asking yourself “Is this actually a documentary?” As a story it is almost too perfect. This is of course what you can get with 3 years of filming and 400 hours of footage being expertly edited into a feature length piece.

Parasite

Summary

This film likely needs no introduction as it was much talked about. The first non-English language film to win best picture at the Academy Awards obviously shook things up here in America. Well-shot, well-acted, tense and with themes that resonate and lead to further thought, “Parasite” is well deserving of its acclaim. I recommend you see this one without spoilers if possible. Even if you aren’t a fan of subtitles, this film draws you in so well that you don’t even realize that you are reading them.

See my name. I think these movies are great. Hobbit movies are a snoozefest though, sorry not sorry.

“Knives Out” is a fun watch if you like clue-style movies.

“Hereditary” is my favorite horror movie in recent memory.

“1917” is a great world war movie. Really well shot and put together. Also see the “2020” covid lockdown spoof on youtube after you watch “1917” : It’s surprisingly good.

If you’re into animated movies may I suggest (without much reasoning as I’ve spent too long on this post already):

• “Howl’s Moving Castle” - The morality and themes are are in my own opinion the best Miyazaki has done. Move outta the way “Spirited Away”.
  • “Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas” - You may or may not have seen this movie but it’s frickin’ great fun.
  • “Treasure Planet” - See above. Badass.
  • “A Silent Voice” - This one is for all the weebs out there. You’re welcome.

To finish off, here’s a list of some movies to stay away from at all costs:

• “Scoob!” - The worst movie I’ve seen in recent memory and I loved the Scooby Doo cartoons growing up.
  • “Suicide Squad” - Hot garbage.
  • Anything after “Despicable Me” that features minions in it. Jesus, no.
  • “Abominable” - Not very compelling propoganda.
  • “Aquaman” - Generic and bland unless you got the hots for Momoa (who doesn’t?)
  • “Guardians of the Galaxy” - This one is partly on here to trigger some people, but also because it genuinely bored me for most of it’s runtime and being bored by something meant to be entertainment is worse than a movie being bad.
  • “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” - see above.
  • “Passengers” - This sci-fi film is creepy and makes me sad to think that some people could view it as being romantic.

Any thoughts? Be sure to let me know and if you trigger me I might respond.

Same! I actually just finished watching the three parts of the hobbit. The book was pretty good though. Have yet to watch the lord of the rings, planning to do it soon though.

So I like my movies how I like my music, Ill take a little of everything and lot of at least half of those.

Both of those were great, I just rewatched Inception.

Oh, I love that game so much! I got that for free with psplus and have been playing it for the past month.

Hah, yeah I get what you were saying with that one. I think I saw that movie like five times the first two weeks of its release, people just wanted to see it, and I liked it enough to go again.

I did watch The Honest Thief last night, and while it wasn’t the best, It was pretty good and I think worth seeing at least once.