Mythic Raid System [MRS]

Interested? We are currently recruiting for our 3 design teams!

Production Team - FULL

Core system planning and execution from top to bottom.

Art Team (NEW) - RECRUITING / Creative Lead OPEN

Creative design, spriting, BGM, or Aseprite / Piskel / ACC experience. Works closely with Production.

Balance Team (NEW) - RECRUITING

Class + skill balancing, tempo, and number crunching. Works closely with Production.

If you would like to apply to a team, please comment below with the following format:

• IGN:
  • Non-Private RealmEye Link:
  • Position: (Production / Art / Balance)
  • Relevant Skills:
  • Discord (Y/N):
  • Can I attend Friday meetings at 7 PM PST? (Y/N):

Discord: Coming Soon!

Google Doc: Coming Soon!

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
  2. Why MRS?
  3. Fame Utilization
  4. Treasure & Tarot Utilization
  5. Mythic Skill Nodes
  6. Mythic Character Stats
  7. Mythic Raids
  8. Party Play
  9. Mythic-Tier (MT) Loot
  10. Leaderboards
  11. Monetization Models
  12. Power Creep Measures
  13. Retroactive Balancing Measures
  14. Deprecated Asset Management
  15. Artwork
  16. BGM
  17. Formulas
  18. Conclusion
  19. Acknowledgements

1. Introduction

So what exactly is end-game?

"In most MMORPGs, this occurs when the players hit the maximum level or skill and look for new ways to keep themselves busy now that they’re off the levelling treadmill. In EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot for instance, the part of the end-game consists of hours of raiding extremely challenging locations in an attempt to earn prestige, alternate advancement points, and “phat lewt”. Meridian 59, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, and World of Warcraft all attempt to provide an end-game consisting of PvP activities: you have nothing to lose, no real risk, and can gain prestige by killing other challenging players.

Historically, a game company without a solid plan for an end-game risks alienating its player base. The end-game should grow and change over time, to keep things interesting for the players who still enjoy participating after “winning the game.”

EminenceHQ (YouTube) also take a good look at what makes a successful MMO end-game in terms of raiding:

A Closer Look: End Game Raiding In MMO And Online Games

With a raiding platform having been proven as a very strong end-game possibility, we must now take into account what adding such a platform to a game like ROTMG would need to capture.

This means going back to the CORE / OLD aspects of the game. Let’s take a trip to Lost Garden. Here we can re-cap some of the core features of ROTMG.

These include:

• Fantasy MMORPG
  • Bullet Hell Shooter (so many bullets!)
  • Co-op only
  • Real-time combat (with 80+ players on screen)
  • Permadeath

and

• Experience is shared. All you need to do in order to earn experience is to be close by when an enemy is killed. There is a simple yet effective benefit from playing with others. More players means enemies die more quickly, so players working together level and earn our time-based currency (fame) more quickly.

• Teleporting is cheap. Players can quickly and easily teleport to other players. In early builds, most players would wander for hours without seeing another human being. A smaller percentage of players liked this, but most simply assumed the game was single player and then left. We also wanted to avoid requiring a complex guild and grouping system, especially for new players. As it stands now, it is difficult to play for long without another player jumping to your position and playing alongside you.

and

Rival goods are a form of PvP. An early decision made for the first prototype haunted the game for far too long. Loot in Realm is a rival good; to paraphrase Raph Koster, “If I grab it, you can’t.” While the rest of the game is all about mutual benefit, loot as a rival good brought out the bloodlust in our players on a number of levels.

• Initial looting : A team of players will cooperate beautiful to bring down a large boss. They’ll coordinate, send happy messages and joke with one another. Yet as soon as someone snags loot that another person desired, the conversation turns acrimonious. Inevitably one player grabs far more loot than others and the predominate emotions of the game decay into greed, distrust and a deeply felt lack of fairness.

• Death : When someone dies, a percentage of their items stay on the body. This yields a huge incentive to steal from your fellow players. I’d love to run some experiments where all items on a body go away or are soulbound and see how that changes the mood of the community.

With all this in mind, we have to also consider the CURRENT aspects of the game …

• Pets - a stroke of Kabam genius, the monetized amulet.
  • SB Loot - a fail-safe measure that has become nigh-permanent due to relentless item duping.
  • Fame - points that players can collect or farm for no real purpose.
  • Treausures / Tarots - deprecated assets with no real purpose. Decent FP though!

An end-game platform would need to find a balance between old and new.

2. Why MRS?

The Mythic Raid System [MRS] is a potential solution that can address the aforementioned host of overlapping features. For those who have not played traditional MMORPGs, raids are as follows:

“The combat encounters comprising a raid usually require players to coordinate with one another while performing specific roles as members of a team. The roles of Tank, Healer, and Damage Dealer are known as the “Holy Trinity” of MMORPG group composition.[4] Other common roles include Buffing, Crowd control, and Pulling (selectively choosing targets with which to initiate combat).[5] A raid leader is often needed to direct the group efficiently, due to the complexities of keeping many players working well together.”

WoW Raid Boss Example: Tomb of Sargeras

So how would a raid system work in ROTMG?

• The fact that ROTMG is a bullet-hell + permadeath game means that raid boss battles can be so much more than just a tank n’ spank DPS fiesta as the previous video showcases. This is the edge Realm has over any other MMORPG out on the market right now. It is the ability to create a real adrenaline rush for the same high-level rewards that classical raids offer.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

The real strength of an MRS implemented for ROTMG would be its outstanding ability to integrate a critically neglected feature of the game … fame!

• Fame right now is in a bad place. It’s pretty much a growing mutual fund that can’t be cashed out. Players who die alot, players who have died on long-term high fame characters, fame trainer deaths … it doesn’t matter - it’s all the same. Dead character fame is an unused and overlooked fuel source with the removal of amulets.

This begs the question - why not then use dead character fame as a gateway currency to an end-game MRS and content? While the details of this progression system will be fleshed out in section 4 (Progression), the basics are as follows:

1. Acquire Dead Fame - fame points earned via character death.
  2. Collect Mythic Skill Nodes - nodes unlock 1 of 3 unique class-specific skills.
  3. Upgrade Mythic Stats - powerful new character stats at the price of progressive fame costs.
  4. Undertake Mythic Raids - end-game dungeons & content gated by Mythic Skills and Stats.

Dead Fame would finally have the sink to its source. Considering that Mythic Skills and characters beefed out with Mythic Stats are a MUST to effectively run MRS raids, dead fame wouldn’t be a meaningless ego booster anymore. Dead Fame utilization via MRS would play a critical role in character improvement, access to content, and achievement.

3. Fame Utilization

4. Treasure & Tarot Utilization

Treasures

Summary: Exchange all 12 dungeon treasures to obtain 1x Mythic Loot Key. If you are lucky, you will randomly receive 1-3 more. Mythic Loot Keys are tradeable with UIIDs.

Tinkerer Interaction: How curious. There was one just like you who sought this very key. What became of him - I do not know. Take this. There are legends about the unfathomable riches it is said to unlock.

Tarot Cards

Summary: Exchange all 9 tarot cards to obtain 1x Mythic Raid Key. If you are lucky, you will receive 1-3 more. Mythic Loot Keys are untradeable.

Tinkerer Interaction: Do you truly understand what dimensions you seek to enter? I do not condone this journey … but if you seek greater power, I will grant you this token of passage.

5. Mythic Skill Nodes

Class Skill Nodes Teaser

Wizard > Warlock
  • Tier 1 - Warlock Ascendancy

• Tier 2 - Arcane Flux

• Tier 3 - Cataclysm

Priest > Bishop

• Tier 1 - Hallowed Ground

• Tier 2 - Sacroscant Bond

• Tier 3 - Grace

Archer > Bowmaster
  • Tier 1 - Bottomless Quiver

• Tier 2 - Piercing Gaze

• Tier 3 - Buster Shot

Rogue > Marauder
  • Tier 1 - Backstab

• Tier 2 - Midas Touch

• Tier 3 - Dread Disciple

Warrior > Berserker
  • Tier 1 - Berserker’s Fury

• Tier 2 - Ravenous Blade

• Tier 3 - Onslaught

Knight > Champion
  • Tier 1 - Concussive Force

• Tier 2 - Stone Skin

• Tier 3 - Indomitable

Paladin > Templar
  • Tier 1 - Battle Hymn

• Tier 2 - Jubilant Canticle

• Tier 3 - Together We Stand

Assassin > Executioner
  • Tier 1 - Venom

• Tier 2 - Debilitating Flask

• Tier 3 - Culling Blow

Necromancer > Diabolist
  • Tier 1 - Devouring Skull

• Tier 2 - Panic

• Tier 3 - Gor’shak the Defiler

Huntress > Stalker
  • Tier 1 - Hurricane

• Tier 2 - Pathfinder

• Tier 3 - Big Game Gambit

Mystic > Transcendant
  • Tier 1 - Potent Mysticism

• Tier 2 - Synergy

• Tier 3 - Essence Linkage

Trickster > Jester
  • Tier 1 - Dimensional Warp

• Tier 2 - Theft

• Tier 3 - Sacrificial Lamb

Sorcerer > Sorcerer Supreme
  • Tier 1 - Reflection

• Tier 2 - Equilibrium

• Tier 3 - Sorcerer’s Supreme’s Strike

Ninja > Hokage
  • Tier 1 - Espionage (スパイ)

• Tier 2 - Shuriken (手裏剣)

• Tier 3 - Susanoo-no-Mikoto (スサノオ)

Samurai > Rōnin
  • Tier 1 - Honor (名誉)

• Tier 2 - Counter (カウンタ)

• Tier 3 - Ōdachi (大太刀)

1. Mythic Character Stats
  2. Mythic Raids
  3. Party System
  4. Mythic-Tier (MT) Loot

10. Leaderboards

1. Monetization Models
  2. Power Creep Measures
  3. Retroactive Balancing Measures
  4. Deprecated Asset Management
  5. Artwork

16. BGM

I am no musical genius.

However, I do have some ideas in mind what certain raid instances should sound like. Many players say that the BGM of a game is really its soul. I can see where they are coming from … because it’s usually the nostalgia of the Henesys theme that draws me back to bangers like MapleStory.

In this section, I’ll post raid instances and the accompanying piece I feel is appropriate. Cheers.

Safe Zone / Refuge

Sky Mubs - When The Nexus / Towns You

Pavillion / Aura

Two Steps From Hell - Evergreen Extended

Raid Entry / Rally Point 1

Two Steps From Hell - Armada Extended

Boss Battle 1 Hype

Final Fantasy XV OST - Stand Your Ground

Boss Battle 2 Hype

I Am Unbreakable - Niklas Johansson

Boss Battle 3 Hype

Defenders Unite by Niklas Johansson

Victory

Victory Theme Extended - Overwatch

Credits / Ending

Street Fighter 5: Story Mode BGM - Ending Credits

1. Formulas
  2. Conclusion
  3. Acknowledgements

keep working cant wait to read more

i like the idea! more and more challange!

This idea would be amazing to be seen entered into rotmg as i’ve been playing WoW since vanilla and the raids have to be my favorite addition. I think after the lag issues are dealt with this could definitely be a good addition to the game.

Section 1 & 2 complete!

Planning on publishing section 3 tomorrow. Also working on some of the base sprites for Mythic Skill Nodes and Mythic Stats.

Section 7 nearly complete. Node descriptions & shared skill nodes coming tomorrow.

Class skill node sprites pending (it’s going to take me a while to do this solo).

My idiotic self read the title as mystic raid system xD.

Wizard (Warlock) Mythic Skill Nodes complete!
Detailed explanations in OP.

Very well put together, and very interesting. I would love an endgame that is truly hard. After running enough halls (and running them with massive groups) the dungeon becomes a joke. I think if these are implemented they should have a small group size max

Just quick question. Did you perchance get the basic idea from a certain private server?

No? Raiding systems are pretty common. The games / titles I’m drawing inspiration from are:

• World of Warcraft - Burning Crusade for core raid boss system / organization.
  • Diablo II - for rush methods / experience gain / itemization.
  • MapleStory - for character class distinctions / nutty unique skills / boss gating / FMW.
  • Touhou 06 - for PvE elements / true bullet-hell / individual skill level.
  • Destiny 2 - for raid contribution / organization / DPS check.

Legit not accusing you. I was actually just wondering

Oh no I understand, I also added some video links to give some kind of background in my last reply. Would definitely recommend you check them out.

Edit: Especially Touhou 06

Thank you!

Group size is a very tricky issue. I’m still currently deciding how best to approach how many players can enter a mythic raid.

There’s several things to consider (I’ll also put these thoughts in my OP):

• Restricted group sizes might alienate some classes. Often times the most competitive players will DPS test to the max and settle for a few classes to run the raid. With the variety of classes in ROTMG, I really do not want this happening - the last thing the game needs is people raiding only with Warrior, Knight, and Priest / Paladin. I’ve been carefully editing the Mythic Skill Nodes to ensure that certain classes will not be over-tuned / over-represented in raids.

This then also brings up the question - what about guilds?

• I do envision some incarnation of the raid system catering to exactly 50 players. I believe a possible way to go about this would be to keep guild-level raids separate from “expedition” style raids.

Just some food for thought. Group sizing and raid composition are some of the most important topics. All feedback is welcome.

BGM complete!

Safe Zone / Refuge

Sky Mubs - When The Nexus / Towns You

Pavillion / Aura

Two Steps From Hell - Evergreen Extended

Raid Entry / Rally Point 1

Two Steps From Hell - Armada Extended

Boss Battle 1 Hype

Final Fantasy XV OST - Stand Your Ground

Boss Battle 2 Hype

I Am Unbreakable - Niklas Johansson

Boss Battle 3 Hype

Defenders Unite by Niklas Johansson

Victory

Victory Theme Extended - Overwatch

Credits / Ending

Street Fighter 5: Story Mode BGM - Ending Credits

Priest (Bishop) Mythic Skill Nodes complete!

Treasure / Tarot Utilization complete!

Treasure Utilization - exchange for 1x Mythic Loot Key.

­ Golden Ankh Eye of Osiris Pharaoh’s Mask Golden Cockle Golden Conch Golden Horn Conch Golden Femur Golden Ribcage Golden Skull Pearl Necklace Golden Chalice Ruby Gemstone

Tarot Utilization - exchange for 1x Mythic Raid Key.

The Fool Tarot Card The Devil Tarot Card The Sun Tarot Card Death Tarot Card The Tower Tarot Card The Magician Tarot Card The World Tarot Card The Chariot Tarot Card The Moon Tarot Card

Mythic Dungeon Boss Prototype - "Gurien"
Inspiration - Achi

so raid bosses have 32 bit sprites? they better be pretty darn big so as to not break the pixel art immersion