names to your characters

I saw my guildmate giving names to his characters and I thought it is a fantastic and very cute idea and deca should add it to the game as an optional feature.

I think it will add more emotion to the game. the characters wouldn’t be “my main knight” or “top dmg machine” they would be “stan master 500” and “super smasher 100”. it will add more funny moments in the game imagen you and the bois are clearing a realm and then you see “o3 destroyer died too dark elf” then one of the homis dose a stupid jock and you all laugh.

pls give Ideas to refine this idea

I think it would be fun but I’d prefer something like titles you can give to your character that would be added after your name based on achievements you made with that char, for exemple o3 destroyer would be kill oryx 3 50 times or something

You can name pets on RealmEye. But it makes more sense for them as they are permanent. The problem is it’s only RealmEye, and isn’t easily discoverable unless you browse that particular player’s RealmEye page.

They could add it to RealmEye in much the same way. Chars don’t last as long as pets so you’d have to decide what to do when a named one dies: re-use the name, retire it and choose another, or make the next one “Skull Smasher II” or similar.

But adding it to the game throws up all sorts of issues. Is it displayed only on e.g. mouseover like your guild? – if so why bother. If it’s displayed alongside your player name it’s clutter and potentially confusing.

It’s even worse if as you suggest the game can identify you only by this extra name, so you see e.g. o3 destroyer died to dark elf or similar. That means you don’t know who the player is. But the player name is how players are identified in game, and on here. If you want to react to their death, whether by consoling them directly or posting it here for LOLs, you need to know their name.

Personally I’d like them to add more info on death. Total fame e.g., especially for 8/8 deaths. Or have a way of interacting with graves, such as mousing over them, to see more details such as manner and time of death, gear, fame + fame bonuses. For all those times you wander across a 6/8 or better grave and wonder how it happened.

idk man seems like they already testing it out.
(source: https://remaster.realmofthemadgod.com/?p=3203)

I saw that. I assumed though it was an expanded user name. The current limit of 10 chars, no spaces, is very 1980s. Allowing longer names with spaces, perhaps with other options such as support for other lanugages, would be a massive improvement. Most important (for DECA) it would be something else to monetise.

i believe this was just triton messing around in the dev build of the game. they said the name apparently doesn’t have a limit in that build and it wasn’t a hint on anything new coming to prod

You would have to find some way so It can’t be confused with your actual account name. Otherwise I could, for example, call one of my characters “sandstor” and… well, you get the picture i think. Alternatively you wouldn’t want it to look like a title either, just in case some guy goes round naming his characters “moderator” or “admin”.

Right right humanize your character even more so that its more painful when they die

the characters name can be in diffrent colour or in diffrent fount

Exactly! :smiley:

I mean, I’ve heard this idea floating around for a while, and I always thought that it was added as any more than a personal tag seen only by you, it could be next to your name with distinguished font and/or separation by symbols (which yes, is more clutter)… something like XBookwyrmX [Sirius] or XBookwyrmX | Sirius, as a couple of forums limited examples.

Not really a necessary feature, but I’ve always thought it would be cute. I, uh, may or may not have nicknames for characters that died even years ago based on their feats I performed, how I dyed whatever skin I was using.

One thing I would be really worried about are people who would use profanities in their character names.

DECA’s really lazy on the censoring and cracking down on curses and racial slurs, but the last thing we need is for N-Word Blaster to be sitting in the nexus for new players to see.

Other than that, loving the idea for this!

this is true and i think it would also be a great addition to the game when they’re just private names.

i have almost 40 character slots and being able to give them a name would help organize them all. for example “main assassin”, “backup assassin”, “ppe knight”, etc…

Or worse, bots with names that are just links to websites.

i think its reasonable to assume names would have a maximum letter limit, but I imagine it would be quite an amusing sight so see.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.