(New Bow) Bow of Yggdrasil

BOW OF YGGDRASIL

image image

Made from the World Tree itself and marked with ancient runes, this peculiar bow has no string and a magic circle hovering around its endpoint. It allows the user to conjure the string of fate to fire pure cosmic energy.

STATS:

Tier UT
Shots 1
Damage 150
Range 8.5 tiles
Rate of Fire 100%
Effect(s) Shots hit multiple targets
Shots ignore defense
Shot rotation is locked while shooting
Astral Focus: After 0.2 seconds of firing, gain +10% fire rate (up to a maximum of +100%)
XP Bonus 8%
Soulbound image
Feed Power 950

Drops From:

DPS Comparison Chart:

Bow when at full stacks of astral focus is the bright cyan line hitting ~2800 DPS

Bow when no stacks of astral focus is the bright cyan line hitting ~1700 DPS

More info:

Some background, I wanted to make a UT Bow that drops from osanc as every other class seems to have one and it seems only fair. That’s pretty much it. This is the first time I’m gonna be making a weapon item idea so bear with me if you can. Now I’ll cut straight to the chase on ‘Astral Focus’. This was also partly inspired by the ‘Last Prism’ weapon in Terraria and ‘Brimstone’ from Binding of Isaac.

Note: The projectile itself doesn’t fire, instead a continuous beam is fired at once instantly covering an area.

What is Shot Rotation Lock?

Like what the name implies, the ability for the weapon to rotate is removed. Meaning after holding down the mouse, no matter where you move it, the direction you are shooting remains the same.

This is mainly to give the bow a ‘weighted’ feel where the lasers you fire seem to have such a large momentum which makes it difficult to change the direction. This also makes it more situational as some cases might make it difficult to use for fast moving or mobile enemies, which maybe could be compensated by moving the player themselves to align to the enemy instead of the shots. However getting Hexed or Stunned would be especially difficult as if the player is trying to channel all their shots, they would be interrupted by this.

The player could also stop firing to get rid of the rotation delay however the shots would become unfocused and slow down, decreasing the damage. This all in all would ideally require a lot of attention to manage but would be fairly rewarding as it can give more damage than most end game bows (I decided to keep it lower than Garland as it seems Garland already serves a good niche as a ‘solo bow’). Perhaps due to the absolutely insane amount of base damage this bow already does, it could push the user to go for more of a speed build instead in order to position themselves to align to enemies with their laser.

Let me know what you think of the ability in the comments or what you think about the idea in the poll! I’m generally open to suggestions and thoughts to edit this idea so about this so feel free to comment what you think about it!

Edit History
  • Major rework of idea, decided to go with rotation lock instead of rotation delay.

What do you think about the idea?

• The idea is great!
  • The idea is good.
  • The idea is okay.
  • The idea is bad.

0 voters

Stats coming soon?

I accidentally pressed the publish button so I guess this is life now >_<
but yeah I’m working on the stats at the moment

Just released the stats and moved it into item ideas! Hope you’ll like it!

So it’s just a shittier Begonia bow? True range is like, stank booty thanks to 5 shots and arc gap, so begonia would be easier to use and get.

I mean the DPS can be much better than Berginia and has a better range but I was worried it would be taken like this as well. Hmm, is Astral focus too punishing/not rewarding enough to use? What would you suggest?

Make it a singular laser beam. The design of the bow, or rather the sprite, looks like 1 strong beam that increases in damage over time would just be better.

I see what you’re going for and I like it! I kind of want to keep the rotation delay though so as not to completely outclass other bows. Maybe something like increasing damage to a cap the more you fire it but also increasing rotation delay.

I’ll wait for a bit more input from others to make the change but for now I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks for the input!

Edit: I imagined the shots kind of like HTT laser except smaller then condenses into a single point. I mainly wanted to play into the theme of bows being THE multi-shot weapon in terms of its tiered identity.

rotation delay wouldnt feel right. If what you mean is the angle of fire remains constant for the entire second, (or however long the delay is), it would just feel like a form of lag. It wouldnt feel particularly interesting, just annoying.
If the delay thing changes the angle of fire slowly so that it reaches the mouse over a second, for the weighted feel, that wouldnt make sense because the cursor is able to move constantly.
It would have to take the form of having the maximum rotation speed set at x number of degrees per second.

Hmm I see what you’re getting at here. I’ll clarify it in the post as well that what I mean is that the delay would work such that it would take the closest route to the mouse. Meaning it follows the mouse but doesn’t exactly mimic it. (Example: rapidly moving it in a small distance left and right for a long time then going to the far right, the laser would sort of ‘jiggle’ but not spend its entire time to mimic the mouse movement but instead go towards where the mouse is to align itself there).

I intended to have it a somewhat similar feel to slow shot speed weapons like leaf bow and berginia bow where some scenarios would need the player to know where to shoot instead of just shooting it directly on the target to compensate for the slow shot speed.

seems a bit underpowered. perhaps buff damage to 50 and reduce shot amount to 3 for easier aiming?

Considering reworking it significantly, still torn as to how to do so. As for the damage numbers though, I can understand now why bows are hard to balance. Having it be multi-shot makes it really awkward trying to get the number to a good spot (I’m thinking around 2.8 - 3k)

Major rework of the bow, decided to put it into the extremes in terms of damage and settled for rotation lock instead of rotation delay!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.