New class: Sniper

The Sniper fights with the bow and uses his Scope to focus on taking down his enemies, one at a time.

wp_ss_20181112_0003%20(2) wp_ss_20181112_0004%20(3) wp_ss_20181112_0002%20(2)

(I’m not very good at making sprites :sweat_smile: @Redox send help)

Max stats:

HP: 700
MP: 225
Attack: 55
Defense: 25
Speed: 45
Dexterity: 70
Wisdom: 50
Vitality: 40

Level 1 stats:

HP: 130
MP: 100
Attack: 10
Defense: 0
Speed: 12
Dexterity: 15
Wisdom: 12
Vitality: 10

Average stats at level 20/increase per level:

HP: 605 / 20 to 30
MP: 176 / 2 to 6
Attack: 39 / 1 to 2
Defense: 0 / 0
Speed: 31 / 0 to 2
Dexterity: 44 / 1 to 2
Wisdom: 31 / 0 to 2
Vitality: 20 / 0 to 1

The Sniper utilises the Bow, Scope, and Leather Armour.

The Scope is an ability focused on dealing additional damage to individual enemies. Upon use it targets the enemy nearest to the cursor, similar to a scepter but targeting from the mouse pointer, and applies the marked effect. While this effect is active, a small line of particles links the player to the enemy until either the enemy dies, the player goes out of range or the effect runs out. While there is a marked enemy, the Sniper deals additional damage with their weapon to that enemy, and gains a small speed boost. However, it also slightly reduces damage done to non-marked enemies. Once the marked enemy/enemies dies/die, the effect ends and cooldown is set to 1 second and damage reduction and speed increase goes.

T0: Old Scope

An old scope that, despite it’s age, functions just as well as it ever has.

Stats:
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 5% extra damage, damage reduced by 2.5% for non marked enemies.
Duration: 2.5 seconds
Cooldown: 3 seconds
MP cost: 55

T1: Elf Archer’s Scope

These scopes never fail the elves in their excellent archery, and neither will this one fail you in your fights.

Stats:
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 7.5% extra damage, damage reduced by 4% for non marked enemies.
Duration: 3 seconds
Cooldown: 3.5 seconds
MP cost: 60

T2: Dwarven made Scope

A scope that is masterfully designed, crafted and refined by the greatest of dwarven blacksmiths.

Stats:
+1 attack
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 10% extra damage, damage reduced by 7% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 2.
Duration: 3.5 seconds
Cooldown: 4 seconds
MP cost: 70

T3: Night Elf Archer’s Scope

Although it appears to be an ordinary scope, it has a long, bloody history from the time it spent under the possession of Night Elves.

Stats:
+2 attack
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 12.5% extra damage, damage reduced by 9% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 4.
Duration: 4 seconds
Cooldown: 4.5 seconds
MP cost: 75

T4: Gorgon Scope

The Gorgons have these attached to their bows as they shoot down mortals. Whilst its intended use is for evil, you can make good use of it too.

Stats:
+3 attack
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 15% extra damage, damage reduced by 11% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 6.
Duration: 4.5 seconds
Cooldown: 5 seconds
MP cost: 80

T5: Master’s Scope

'*This scope is used by many of the greatest bow wielders in history, made by the most skilled of craftsmen and requiring many rare metals to create.

Stats:
+4 attack
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 17.5% extra damage, damage reduced by 13% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 8.
Duration: 5 seconds
Cooldown: 5.5 seconds
MP cost: 85

T6: Heavenly Scope

A scope made by the gods for the most skilled bow users, made of stardust and platinum, its power is unrivaled and excellency unmatched.

Stats:
+5 attack
+2 wisdom
+2 vitality
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 20% extra damage, damage reduced by 15% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 10.
Duration: 5.5 seconds
Cooldown: 6 seconds
MP cost: 90

UT: Scaled Scope

A relic of a mighty archer, this bronze scope has a symbol of a set of scales inscribed into its side.

Stats:
+5 speed
+20 HP
-5 defense
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 35% extra damage, damage reduced by 50% for non marked enemies, cursed and sick on self.
MP cost: 100
Possible drop locations: Lost Halls, Septavius

Note: This Scope is focused on fairness - you make an enemy take more damage, and make yourself take more damage. If one is able to dodge well, this is a direct upgrade from T6 in terms of damage, but with a high MP cost, cooldown, no speed boost and a very large reduction in damage to non marked enemies it is situational.

UT: Guerrilla Scope

Often used by hunters when tracking their prey.

Stats:
+3 attack
+3 dexterity
+40 MP
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 10% extra damage, damage reduced by 25% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 20.
MP cost: 75
Possible drop locations: Stheno

Note: Useful for rushing, exchanges the usual high damage for a lot higher speed increase.

UT: Guarded Scope

A unique scope with a small shield affixed to it, used only by well trained bow users against the forces of evil.

Stats:
+5 defense
-20 HP
On use: Marks 1 enemy for 16% extra damage, damage reduced by 14% for non marked enemies.
Defense increased by 10.
Speed reduced by 5.
Duration: 4.5 seconds
MP cost: 120

Notes: J U G G S C O P E
Ok yes, it’s basically a jugg. Gives you more defense and damage in exchange for -20HP and a speed decrease on use.

UT: Omniscience

It knows and sees all… None can hide from it.

Stats:
+4 attack
+4 defense
On use: Marks all enemies in an area of radius 1 tile for 15% extra damage, damage reduction by 100% for non marked enemies.
Speed increased by 5.
MP cost: 120

Notes: I’m not sure how to balance this. The idea is that it marks all enemies in a small area (thanks for the idea Redox) and any non marked enemy cannot be damaged.

Last thing, I will eventually make sprites for the scopes, but once again access to my laptop has been limited and there isn’t a good windows phone app, so they’ll take a while. The concept is there anyway.
if anyone has a better idea for what the ability should be called, go ahead - calling these things ‘sights’ doesn’t feel right.
EDIT: thanks @Lessking :heart:

That’s it! Post any thoughts or balance issues down below! :smile:

Doesn’t seen right. That would have all the levels give 1 vit, maybe you meant 0 to 2?

Overall, I really like this class. It feels like it fits in realm, but not being exactly the same as everything else.

Scope might be a nice name?

While i like the idea of the sights and they fit a sniper, the stat spread doesnt really remind me of one.
The items themselves seem decently balanced, though you might want to add if the range of the sights is the same as the bow used or is a set amount of tiles.
In addition adding speed would not make a whole lot of sense to be idea-wise, logically i would say reduce speed since i you’ll be looking down the sights to mark the targets.
In playstyle i would not add either since it seems a bit unnessessary and be somewhat annoying at times (2nd is heavily opinion-based)

The only specific item i would have remarks about it the omni, 1 tiles is ridiculously short and the risk of getting that close up to something would in (almost) no situation be out-weighed by the 15% damage increase, on top of doing no damage at all for 4 seconds to anything you missed. My suggestion would be to increase the radius to something around 4~5 tiles.

pretty nice, i love the ability, nice balance there.
but how would you know if something is marked? Black glow on only your screen?

He says that a line of particles would connect you and the marked enemy.

it might be hard to see in a crowd of players

Oh no, that’s not what it is at all :sweat_smile: Sorry, to clarify, ALL sights will choose the nearest enemy to the cursor as long as there is one nearby (4 tiles or so), and the Omniscient acts like a skull that marks enemies.

Sounds better indeed.

:man_shrugging: I was trying to go for something different to Archer and Huntress in terms of stats. This class relies on the ability to get weapon damage, so it essentially gets high attack from the ability.

Maybe Sniper isn’t the right name for the class.

Eh, ideas wise Realm never really makes any sense. Warrior buffs his own speed from wearing a helmet. Okay, sure, it’s magic! But I could just say these are magical sight/scopes too.

I was thinking along the lines that if you mark an enemy you’d want to deal lots of damage to it, so especially with tiered bows, you’d want to get nearer and also be able to dodge. I can see how it’s a bit strange though.

Oops, I thought 0 to 1 increase literally meant either 0 or 1. If it doesn’t, that’s a mistake on my part.

Those are fair points. I was thinking about how to do this, and I suppose the easiest way would be to add a status effect symbol thing above enemies that looks like a target, that’s only visible to you. Given that the particle beam is essentially the same thing (not counting visuals, but the fact it’s connected to one enemy and only visible to one player) I suppose that would be better. Or maybe both at once? :thinking:

Either way, thank you for the comments everyone :heart:

I personally wouldn’t use this class.

Taking more damage every single time i use my ability
Increases damage on one target, but decreases damage by even more on all other targets. Bows are piercing weapons, even if I wasn’t cursed I still wouldn’t use this.

That’s only one of the UTs though :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s fair enough. I was thinking it would make it easier to target the leader of a group of minions by dealing more damage to it, such as the Cube Overseer or Flayer God. Maybe the damage reductions are a bit on the extreme side, I never was too good at balancing :man_shrugging:

Oops, for some reason I though the starting bit was 0 and not 10 my bad

Fair enough.

Personally, I really like it, it gives more focus to single target instead of the crowd control that both archer and huntress already have with their ability.
It also complements the non-piercing bow(s) really well, though I have to admit that the damage reduction is a bit much. However, you can wait it out or cancel it by walking away (with your extra speed)

Should I make the damage reduction less drastic?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.