New Fame Calculator: How much fame did we lose from the stat wipe?

This is a cross-post from my post on the subreddit.

TL;DR: In the new Fame rework update, Deca deleted everyone’s dungeon completion progress and party member level ups. I made a Fame Calculator that will help you find out how much fame Deca “stole” from you by wiping your dungeon stats. If you are a legit player who are upset about their hard earned completions wiped, go and check this link. Paste your muledump stats in the Raw tab or enter values manually on the Calculator tab, and share your numbers in the comments! (If you used any exploits to increase your numbers instead of actually playing the game, don’t bother. You don’t even have the right to be mad at Deca if you cheated, be mad at yourself for ruining everyone’s fun.)

Why I made this

These stats weren’t just some useless numbers for me, they represented a lot of time and effort I put into this game. Here’s a great explanation from someone else - check the discussion if you want more information about my point of view on this.

People keep saying that these stats were just meaningless numbers and I’d like to prove that it’s not true. Don’t get satisfaction from looking at your dungeon completions? Here is why you should care anyway. In the new update Deca also assigned some fame value to these completions, and there is a way to measure this value for everyone. I made a fame calculator based on the new system they just released, and today I’m sharing it with everyone else.

How to use the Fame Calculator

I made a Google Spreadsheet and filled it with two sample characters so you could see how would it look like when filled. Go to File-> Make a copy and save one for yourself. To clear all my data just go to the tab “Raw” and remove the sample copypasta. Now there are two options:

1. It accepts and parses Muledump copypasta. To do it, go to your Muledump, left-click on your account name and enable “Additional Stats”. It then will show you values you can copy for every character, they should look something like this. Paste these values on the Raw tab in the spreadsheet. One character takes 4 columns (A-D, E-H etc), so if you want to paste several, make sure there are no additional gaps between them. You can copy-paste up to 16 characters per sheet. If you want to support more, you can always copy-paste additional columns with formulas on the Calculator tab (just do it somewhere in the middle so you won’t need to edit totals).

The unfortunate downside of this method is that if you logged in any of your characters in nexus after the fame rework and refreshed your Muledump, your stats will be messed up like this and there is no way to repair them into any readable format. It probably means that you lost all your data, so there’s another option.

2. Manually edit all the values that you can remember for your dungeon completions (you can either do it on the “Raw” tab by using the template), or directly on the “Calculator” tab - then just replace the formulas. Use any screenshots with in-game stats or other notes you took. Even the amount of white bags you own is helpful in estimating how many of the corresponding dungeons you did (e.g. if you have 20 pyras lying around, it means you can easily assume that you did at least 20 tombs. I’d assume further and put way more in this case because let’s be honest, no one gets a white in every dungeon they do). Use exaltations counter to fill in any missing endgame completions.

After you filled in the data, the calculator will do the rest. Scroll all the way down and right for the summary section.

• Possible new death fame: Shows death fame if stats hadn’t been wiped
  • Actual new death fame: Shows the actual death fame (after stats wipe)
  • Stolen fame: the difference between the two

Some cells have tiny black triangles in the corners - those are tooltips with Tl;DR for some of the stuff I’ll mention in the next paragraph.

You could have gotten even more fame

There are some assumptions that allow you to push this value even further. A lot of dungeon completion tracking was inconsistent and/or broken. You will notice checkboxes and additional number values near some of the dungeons. Hitting the checkbox with default value near it (1) will add at least one completion of that dungeon to all your chars even if this stat is not showing up in Muledump for some reason. If you change the default value to a different number, it will represent how many of these dungeons (on average) you did on every one of your characters and how much extra fame you would get if Deca were consistent with all dungeon completions from the very day they started adding completion tracking to everything. I put elaborate explanations on that in a separate reddit comment if you are interested.

The conclusion

To those who are curious about my own numbers, here’s the reveal. The number is 351 843 for me - that’s all cumulative fame Deca took away from me. By the time the update hit me, I had 15 8/8 main NPEs and one 7/8 Samurai that was also close to maxing. I put character creation dates in my sheet as well just to show how long they lasted, but you can also check on other stats if you are interested.

In my 5 years of playing a lot of “unfair” moments happened. Lag deaths, teleport deaths, disconnects, ent sitting, people cheating in front of my face and getting away with it. But nothing ever came close to being as unfair as this stat wipe. Sneakily, without any warning or explanation (a lot of people didn’t even know about it and didn’t have time to screenshot/save what they lost). For me, Deca absolutely hit the rock bottom with their attitude to the playerbase.

Edit: Added some context at the beginning of TL;DR for the people that don’t know about the stat wipe or didn’t pay attention to that.

Sneakily, without any warning or explanation

You mean apart from the lengthy blog post which included this warning

As we promised earlier, we want to give a clear and thorough heads up regarding the exact bonuses being added, changed, and removed, allowing you to kill off characters you may have created specifically for fame and be better prepared for the new kinds of stats you’ll be rewarded for.

Followed by a detailed explanation. As an official blog post it not only appeared here and on Reddit but also highlighted in the game’s launcher. As noted in that post this had been in the works for a long time; no-one active in the game should have been surprised by it.

I read that post and I remember it. Where exactly in the post does it say that they planned to wipe all the existing dungeon completions? They were talking about removing outdated bonuses like Boots On The Ground, Thirsty, Friend Of The Cubes, Sniper etc and suggesting that people kill these characters if they want that fame before the bonuses will be deleted. Not a single word was said about any plans of the dungeon stat wipe, and nothing about removing all the existing party member level up values (the latter was never explained even after it was done, they only explained the reasoning for wiping the dungeon completions).

ty for the x-post… the forums miss out on a lot of good discussion honestly

It is unfortunately very niche and insular. And many forum members seem to implicitly pride on that as well.

I thought you were complaining about a loss of 351,843 fame. Again, there were many warnings that if you had chars with high dead fame from old bonuses you should kill them to claim those bonuses.

As for dungeon completions, they gave the reason that much of the data was bogus, whether due to bugs or hacks. But there was no loss of fame as they never counted towards fame before (except of course for Tunnel Rat).

Again, there were many warnings that if you had chars with high dead fame from old bonuses

Dungeon completes were never part of old bonuses???

Is this a troll post or are you intentionally being obtuse?

It’s not 100% correct to call it “lost fame”. More like “the potential death fame we could have gotten if the dungeon progress wasn’t wiped for everyone”.

As I wrote:

I’m still personally gauging whether this update was a good one or not (highly dependent on what this newfound bounteous fame will be used for, and any potential tweaks to the system), but I view it like this: We’re in a generation of the game that is requiring sacrifices. I know it sucks for a number of people, but until the game outright dies, changes that reset aspects of the game are sometimes needed.

I don’t actually see many developers muster the audacity to do that with a game they made that needs that treatment, so kudos to them for being gutsy, I say!

(This is not me spitting upon the faces of the players who lost something they care about, just saying that something’s got to give eventually lest we perish in and endless cycle of old flaws.)

This just means you haven’t played other games, lol.

This is not me spitting upon the faces of the players who lost something they care about

I mean, you basically are, especially with this philosophy 101 nonsense:

something’s got to give eventually lest we perish in and endless cycle of old flaws

This is ROTMG bro. Why don’t you instead ponder the philosophical/ethical implications of DECA not doing anything to inform it’s playerbase of massive game changes?

I wouldn’t consider any of this “massive” or “game changing”. We’re talking about death fame here.

That’s your interpretation of what I said. That wasn’t intended to change your mind. I abide by what I said with no hesitation. Think of me how you will, but it’s my experiences and opinions.

And I agree with HatedFury. It’s just fame.

Also I did try to ask the devs back when this was first announced for some info on this in the forums, but they selectively choose what to answer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.