New Prism Idea - Prism of the Distant Cartographer

###Prism of the Distant Cartographer

An ancient, amber crystal, granting the user the power to see through the eyes of an illusion as their own.

####Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • MP Cost: 110
  • Duration: N/A
  • Cooldown: 10s
  • Does not teleport
  • Decoys disappear after moving (or at least attempting to move) 10 tiles
  • Decoys uncover map tiles

Another member to the decoy-only prism family, this prism provides tricksters with a very unique asset: The ability to reveal parts of a dungeon or realm map without being there yourself. Map tiles would render around your decoy just like you were there yourself. This allows you to greatly increase your line of sight and anticipate what lies ahead without putting yourself in danger. The tile cap on the decoy prevents it from being used to actually distract enemies (although it can during its short lifespan), and the high MP Cost and cooldown prevent it from completely replacing walking around to uncover the map.

So, what do you guys think? Is it balanced as is? Is the ability to render map tiles from a distance too powerful? Should the cooldown or MP Cost be adjusted? Let me know.

EDIT: Buffed decoy duration to 3s.
EDIT 2: Buffed decoy duration to 5s, but decoys now disappear after they finish moving.
EDIT 3: Decoys are no longer on a timed duration, and instead move 10 tiles before dissapearing.

But why? :thinking: Rendered tiles won’t render enemies, right? It only uncovers the tiles… and I even doubt the possibility in realm.

Alright, let’s say that it is possible to render non-event entities and tiles independently from your character, how would it be useful? Enemies detected would chase after the decoy, which would chase you. It only lasts 2 seconds, which means it’ll take only a split second for you to notice enemy placement before them being de-rendered for being too far from a renderer object.

The point is not to see enemies. The point is to see what lies ahead on the map and whether or not there are dead ends instead of heading in there yourself at a potential risk.

How fast does the decoy travel? 2 seconds are very short, especially in addition to my previous points. Perhaps you could give some specific examples of when this could be useful?

The same speed as other decoys. However, that’s a good point, the duration is too short for the decoys to render much.

NICE! VERY unique ability, plus the name is sexy as fuck! :smiley:

I love the idea, however because if something like this was implemented into the game the same game physics would be immediately subject to abuse by hackers. Good idea though, I think the balance is on par with the other powerful UT prisms.

I can see this being broken as hell.

Decoys… are random in movement speed right now. It depends on how far it decides to randomly go. If it decides to go really far, then it will move there for the first couple seconds, then stay. Try it out, you’ll see.

Yeah, I know, it’s kind of annoying. I’d say that the decoys should have a standard duration, but dissapear after they stop moving.

The prism definitely needs and will get a rework. I believe it was answered on a Deca AMA. Perhaps you should have a set range? It makes things a lot easier to balance. I’m one of those who lack imagination, so I still can’t think about any specific situation when I want to use this, but we’ll see.

I’ve made way too many edits to this already, but sure. 10 tile cap it is.

How about allowing the decoy to not attract enemies, but be able to render the tiles and enemies and permanently have those off-screen enemies on your mini-map until they are dead. Not only would this make sense, but allow the prism for the archetype it was made to be used for, scouting.

Then it would not be a decoy.

Plus this is not possible:

@Arkhine Upon first glance this looks great, then I came upon a few things to consider:

1. You can’t control the decoy’s movement like pacman - it will go one direction thus making this point a lot less important/useful:

2 . You cannot use an ability on an unrendered tile (black space), thus making this even more useless. 10 tiles is nothing when you think of the actual size of your average dungeon - how often are you actually able to move forward 10 tiles without having to turn?

Doubled with the

and lack of stats/other traits, I find it difficult to see where this could be feasibly used.

A couple of things (Actually this is a long post so brace yourself).

When I say this:

I understand what you mean when you talk about this:

We do know that the trickster’s ability is supposed to distract enemies, and this prism’s archetype (scouting) is completely different to the tiered prisms.

However, isn’t this the point of UTs?

Take the Shield of Ogmur for example,
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/shield-of-ogmur
it goes against the knight’s ability archetype of the run up and do dmg via while the enemy is stunned, the Ogmur doesn’t stun, it armor breaks. Yes, coupled with a tiered shield, this is a pretty good combo. However, if alone, this shield is pretty much useless since the knight doesn’t have a good tool for escape when using the ogmur as a main shield (this is especially present in ffa tombs).

Or how about the new quivers?
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/beehemoth-quiver (does light cc but that isn’t the point)
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/quiver-of-the-shadows
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/freezing-quiver
The archer’s ability archetype is to do light or hard cc (depending on the tier) to an enemy via quiver. However, the new quivers are almost solely for damage, which is useful for chests, but isn’t useful to the archer’s kit in general, since you then don’t have a solid source of cc to do reliable and efficient soulbound dmg.

My point is that UT’s are never used as swapouts, and this is what many new players of the game overlook and ignore (Mostly cause I saw a newbie light blue star using a jugg as his main helm and saying “It is super bad”).

This is so evident that this is said on the Shield of Ogmur’s wiki page:
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/shield-of-ogmur
"However, this is a situational UT and should be used as a swapout, not a primary shield. For example, the armor break is rendered useless on monsters with very low defense, or monsters that are very dangerous like Oryx the Mad God 2."

So if it isn’t or is a decoy shouldn’t matter, since even though the ability goes against the archetype, it is situational as every other UT item (If this prism is UT it would prove this point even more).

To address this:

It would make sense for this prism to act like the prism of dancing swords (which spawn 2 decoys in opposite directions). However, it only sends out 1 decoy towards the cursor (obviously where you cast the ability).

I am also starting to think that this:

Might be possible.

If the ability were to be used the way the prism of dancing swords works then there is no need for what you talked about here:

In fact it’s been resolved anyways

For this:

Just remind yourself that if this prism were to be put into the game it would 100% be classified as a UT (Just go back up my post and read about that again). This prism is situational and shouldn’t be used in that situation.

Here are some real-game applications if this prism (with my adjustments) would be useful for:

1.Scouting the formations and positions of enemy units in the Shatters.
(If you don’t know about this it is the space between the Forgotten Sentinel and the Twilight Archmage)

Please refer to this link if you never seen or done a Shatters to get a feel of where I’m coming from:
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/the-shatters-guide

With the prism you could be able to scout:

1. How many enemies are there
    And with coordination with the knowledge of shatters enemy positioning you should be able to:
  2. Know what types the enemies are.
    AND
  3. What is the best course of action to handle the situation in conjunction with your current party/team.

This can be applied in these but with less effect.

• dungeons with black tiles (the decoy will uncover tiles and alert you of any potential threat in a room)
  • OT’s would be perfect for this situation
  • dungeons or even the realm where you need to find out what is ahead
  • Think there was a godwall ahead of your current position? Bam, the prism figures that out for you.
  • Note that these situations are just a couple of the many potential applications for this prism.

Obviously this wouldn’t useful in ffa situations since people don’t care whats there since the dps would destroy any enemy composition in seconds.

However, note that this prism is UT, and like I mentioned and showed earlier that UT items are situational.

This prism is for solo play and small, coordinated parties who do not have the dps to handle a heavy confrontation.

This is where this prism shines and with the:

I feel that this is a pretty balanced prism. I think that this prism would be a great addition to the prism family and could add a whole new perspective to playing Rotmg (a slow and careful playstyle with the ability to know what is coming and if the situation that is ahead is too dangerous or not).

Also, if there were stats added to the prism, they should be added to defensive stats (like spd or vit) to complement the prisms situational playstyle of scouting.

That’s it for this post, I’d honestly like feedback so I can help balance and support this ability.
What do you think @Arkhine ?

To address the aforementioned quote here:

The decoy (or I should say “vision ward”), would walk a set distance of 10 tiles (and if underpowered in real game use maybe even 14 tiles like a quiver), and the vision ward will go over the cast area (where you put your mouse when you pressed the cast button) until it reaches 10 tiles.

Does this zoom out, I hardly see black tiles so what will it do?

Hey @Chosez !

Black tiles are usually the result of a slow computer, or laggy internet.

They are black tiles (literally) that are seen in the game which haven’t loaded a tile yet.

In your case (with a computer with almost no lag since you have never seen them), are the black tiles on your mini map symbolizing undiscovered territory.

You should note that in your case you cannot see the black tiles off your screen but when you walk towards the black tiles they will load in their respective tiles that will resemble terrain.

The prisms main function is to allow the player to send out a decoy (which I will call ward form now on) that will uncover the black tiles that are off your screen (basically uncovering the mini map for you without physically being there).

Read my post above if you wanna know more about what it’s usefulness as an ability with added changes is and it’s real-game applications and uses :+1: .

First of all, I respect you for making quite the post with elegant formatting. That being said,

The point of this prism is not to see enemies, but rather to see the tiles. It does not detect enemies for you, at least according to this post.

Also, having a decoy be sent into the Shatters that deep would activate the enemies instead, right? I doubt that the decoy would last long enough to distract enemies as the latest edit suggests

I do have this question, @Arkhine, how fast do the decoys move? As mentioned before, their move speed is kinda random in game right now. You can’t control how far your decoys will go, only to which direction… if your decoy decides to move at all.

Thanks @Roensp!