Not using enough memory?

Hello, a friend of mine is having this issue. He uses a 2015 Macbook pro with the mojave macOS. He plays this game on steam. We noticed an issue where his game rapidly drops in frames whenever too many players or enemies are in view. This happens normally, but this happens to him with only a few enemies or players visible. Upon further inspection, we saw that the game was only using a few hundred kilobytes of memory, even though my friend has 8 gigabytes of memory available. Have you seen any issues like this before? Is his computer just not good enough?

I don’t have a solution, but Mojave should be more than enough for RotMG. I’ve tried a decade-old iMac and it works great.

I don’t believe there are any solutions other than just the in-game settings

this is why deca needs to add more QoL from hacks

I mean I’m dumb but can’t deca just download the hacked clients and copy the actually useful features?

I use a late 2012 Mac mini, which I am sure is a much worse PC than his Macbook. Memory should be fine. I used to have problems when I had only 4GB in this PC, as ROTMG does use a fair amount, more than 1GB. But I upgraded to 16GB and the memory problems went away. 16GB was more than enough I’m sure, 8GB would be fine too.

I would check hardware acceleration is on, in the game’s graphics settings. That improves performance in particular when lots of sprites, i.e. graphical objects, are onscreen.

I mean, they already have Unity planned on the horizon that looks like it will remove the need for extreme anti-lag features. So they probably would like to spend their time on making Unity work as smooth as possible rather than trying to patch anti-lag features into the existing Flash client.

There’s also the question of do “anti-lag features” even significantly reduce lag? I can only really see forcing specific objects that are often on-screen to not render as a significant lag reducer (and I can only think of one of these object types that you could even pull a disappearing act on, the rest would significantly impact gameplay if they no longer rendered), aside from if it actually tweaked the rendering code to run much more optimized.

Then there’s the issue of taking someone’s random-ass messy spaghetti code (look, sorry to say, but cheat clients or programs don’t tend to be particularly well-known for using maintainable and readable code) and shoving it into existing RotMG code.

Lastly, then there’s also the issue that cheaters will still prefer to use their hacked clients because autonexus isn’t an anti-lag feature so wouldn’t be added into RotMG anyways :slight_smile:

I just turned off all allied projectiles and my game ran like a 1000° knife through butter.

Also I believe there was (at some point) an option to reduce or remove particle effects, which has a significant impact.

In the end its not about your computer and rig, its how the game operates. I’ve got a beefy thicc boi and flash games still “lag”.

I mean that is the thing, turning off all ally projectiles + as many particles off as possible already improves performance a lot, and that’s something you can do in regular Realm.

(actually OPs friend can try that if they haven’t already, there are also more things they can toggle in the options menu that can improve performance a bit like turning off shadows or turning off the ally damage/heal text)

I saw this happening a lot too on my friend’s Mac.
I’m not sure, is it an issue with Macs only?

Yes I speak from experience

stupid rainbow load cursor

At least the cheaters wouldn’t be able to hide behind “I use it to stop lag” anymore, as well as the tiny percentage of legitimate users not being subjected to the possibility of getting hacked

Srsly tho when he booted up ROTMG his CPU usage jumped to 99% and then 101% and then we aborted mission because we were afraid of something exploding :frowning:

Is that what is going to happen

Is what?

My mac going to explode

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.