Official Thread: Polish and Balancing

Trap throw times were reduced from 1.5 seconds to 1.0 second a few months ago.

I think 8 tiles are still a ton, especially when keeping in mind how much the area increases.
Only looking at radius can be a little misleading in that regard.

Comparing to Baneserpent Poison for example:
Radius: 5 to 8 -> 60% increase
Area: 78.5 to 201 -> 156% increase

That said, keep the feedback coming! It’s not set in stone of course.

Oh, I must’ve missed this, sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I might’ve made a thread about this a long time ago, but a change I’d like to see for the prisms is to make the Ghostly Prism explosion spawn in between your locations before/after using the prism, instead of it spawning directly on your location before teleportation (hope this makes sense).
If I have already mentioned this in an existing thread, I’m sorry, my memory has not been the best lately :stuck_out_tongue:

If the radius reduction is because of the reduced duration, I think there should at least be a small increase in overall damage as compensation. The baneserpent poison received a bigger dps buff (proportionally) alongside the added impact damage and lowered mp cost.

It’s more about: why single Plague out for any nerf when no other poison is having a radius change; when almost every other aspect of every other poison is being buffed. It risks another Orb of Conflict scenario where a UT loses its distinctive feature and becomes never worth carrying.

Plague is solely used for its large radius which is why this single number is its only important aspect. If this lowers 9 -> 8, Plague’s niche gets eaten away because it gets closer to the T6 and becomes less worthwhile to ever bother carrying around if you can just always do more via throwing a couple of T6s left and then right.

Wide diversity in poisons is something we currently have. We want this major variety between the items because if they are all “just another flavour of vanilla” it becomes pointless having multiple items.

If old MP cost is remaining the same, & its throwtime is remaining the same, can we not just leave it intact with its 9 radius too. “If it ain’t broke…”

If it matters to credibility, I have been fortunate to be in continual possession of Plague since 2014 via a couple of white bags, so I’m speaking from not just theory on this. I hate the idea of a yearned-for UT being made less special, and I’m not aware of calls to see it nerfed (don’t the Experimental Settings mean it no longer causes so much lag?). Don’t give us less reason to want Plague.

That’s the Plague defence over, but if the door for discussion about radius is open:

Truth be told I was hoping to seeing poison radius increase across the board, because that’d be a simple buff to ensure players are getting the most out of their character’s ability, especially newer/unmaxed players using low tiered poisons. Faster throw time definitely helps, but so would a larger area of effect via a higher radius.

Tiereds could range from 3 tiles at T0 (currently 2.5) up to 6 for T6 (currently 5) - 6 tiles for T6 has a nice symmetry, no? Murky would remain as the poison of choice for good-aimers at 2/4 (or have a slight raise if desired, 2/5) and Plague remains at 9 (or even a round 10!) as the poison for wide area.

T6 current radius of 5 tiles, I believe is only due to the old design choice of making T6s functionally the same as T5s (with +2VIT&WIS) from the old days - so this would iron over that wrinkle too.

I realise the ‘poison cat’ is, like, 75% out of the ‘testing bag’ if you’ve already designed the changes, etc. But it seemed worthwhile to mention while on the topic. Remember you started it with a simple 9-> 8 suggestion! :smile:

tl;dr
Don’t nerf Plague’s only useful feature, keep it at 9 tiles… & consider if all poisons could benefit from higher radius.

Let’s talk about poison tool tips!

Poison: {totalDamage} within {radius}
{impactDamage} after {throwTime}
{damageOverTime} over {duration}

damageOverTime = totalDamage - impactDamage

The idea was to pack more info into them similarly to traps (to which we’ve added throw time, duration and trigger sensitivity), but feedback was that they are too confusing. Do you think the additional information is unnecessary or could be conveyed in a better way?

It’s nice to have more information but at the same time, your average player will really only care about (1) how much damage, (2) what’s the radius, and (3) how long does it take.

Lines 1 and 2 are confusing IMO:

I thought I was reading the description for Murky Toxin at first because there were two numbers for damage!

I would personally stick with simplicity and have the three pieces of info. If people are curious, they can check the wiki for more information.

Poison: 200 impact + 750 damage over 4.5 seconds to enemies within 5 squares.

Don’t mention the throw time as it’s the same for everything except Plague. Lets assume that anyone who gets Plague is experienced enough to a) know the wiki exists or b) can visibly see there is a difference in throw time.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.