Old build notes (WS / early Kabam era) were better than new release announcements

The older build release notes were better than the new ones, keeping it straight to the point about the major and minor changes, and known bugs and issues. Only rarely some extra public-relations style jargon would be included. The newer release notes (especially late 2019 and 2020) have increasingly large amounts of unnecessary text and do not explain the release changes in a straight-forward way. They now feel like half-pr, half-useful announcements… Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Writing some useless text on top of the actual 3 fixes they do per month makes it look like they do something.

While I prefer to have a plain list of changes, a lot of players don’t want to read straight from the version control comments. Writing a blog style post lets you make up for the lack of in-game documentation, which is usually lacking until after new features are settled in and stable.

Remember the changelog doc that was linked with the MotMG patch? Imagine being new to the game and trying to find relevant info in that list. I’d imagine the majority of players could care less that one specific weapon had a shot speed increase. And it’s better than some of the early-mid Kabam patches where nothing was posted for days, or at all.

Linked in this announcement (in case you don’t trust doc links): MotMG: Reconstruction is here!

I think the best outcome is a paragraph style blogpost and then bullet points underneath where both styles are met, but I don’t know the feasibility of that with how the game is updated now.

I’ve noticed it but that’s because I write them

this is a joke, I dont write them obviously im just saying I have a habit of adding too much filler :sob:

joke aside I wish they would do both, like have collapse-able headers that is a short just bullet point update log, and the updates they do currently.

Its something I’ve tried and I feel like people appreciate the option of either a more indepth look at upcoming changes or a quick summary of said changes.

Though to be fair, the game updated much more frequently during the Wild Shadow era, compared to Deca’s releases. The joys of playing realm back then included seeing the build number change, and checking the changelog on a somewhat regular basis.

Despite this, Deca simply has a different approach to updates. Whereas Wild Shadow interacted with this community on a frequent basis, the majority of player to company interaction and communication is formed on the basis of these longer detailed updates.

I understand what you mean. We try to find a balance between being approachable enough for more people to read it and informative enough to have value. Since the game is is in a much more developed state than it was in the Wild Shadow era, we can’t be quite as nonchalant about significant content additions/changes without giving some context and explanation.

We still experiment with some different formats for patch notes. For seriously major updates like the MotMG’s 1.1.0.0 release which @HatedFury linked, we drew a clear line between the “concise” version and the massively in-depth version (that was a joy to write, let me tell you :sweat_smile: ).

That being said, this kind of feedback is actually really useful to hear, since there’s rarely direct feedback given to how clear or unclear certain release notes are. It’d be interesting to hear more opinions on this as well.

Okay. but that is a pretty cherry picked example. That was literally once of the biggest updates ever for the game. I say that they do both the blog style and just upload a list of changes

Sorry, I’ve only been around Deca since September. I knew it was probably the most extreme example, but I don’t know how often they release detailed notes like that.

never aside from that time

remember when toastrz was just a forumer? cringes this is who’s working on rotmg now… :weary:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.