Operation Spitfire Devlog

Small update this time around, due to life stuff :l

Made another enemy and added an ingame controls screen, along with tidying up this menu’s code, it was very messy the first time around.

I’ve also made a few changes to enemy placement in levels so that’s also a thing. As for the snapping camera it’s actually a bit harder to code than I thought it was going to be, so it’ll take a bit.

Hello everyone! I have some pretty great news regarding all the fixes and changes I’ve made :sunglasses:

Full Changelog

In no particular order, here are the additions, changes, and fixes I’ve made since the first release of the demo:

• Added small hp/armor bar UI while main UI is hidden
  • Added Controls screen to main menu and ingame
  • Fixed persistence values and issues with game window positioning on launch
  • Added some props to existing maps
  • Balanced enemy and item distribution
  • Lowered enemy bullet speeds across the board
  • Lowered damage taken from enemies
  • Added red dot sight to enemy snipers for player convenience
  • Added snap on/off camera
  • Updated controls screens
  • Minor Changes to hitboxes of certain objects
  • Small Player UI improvement for readability
  • Created additional enemy (not in use yet)
  • Polished a few ingame sprites
  • Fixed crashing regarding camera modes
  • And some minor changes I’m probably forgetting

TL:DR is that I’ve made the snap off camera mode! It works pretty well and feels nice overall. Along with that I made icons for slots to help with readability of which slot holds what, small UI for when the main UI is hidden, and some general bug fixing and balance changes.

The updated version of the game is available as well! However, aside from these QoL changes there is no new gameplay content ingame.

Now that all of this QoL stuff is out of the way I’m able to work on Chapter 2! So expect progress on that front later this year

As always, thank you all for the support and suggestions! You guys have really helped shape the game for the better :smile:

Its been a bit

After sitting around doing nothing for the past month I’ve finally worked on and finished a good chunk of enemy sprites and some code. Can’t give much else as I’m currently working on the rest of the assets, but I will show them off when they’re ready.

Awesome! We fans know making a game is really NOT easy so no rush at all. There’s so much that goes into it that can’t really be ~shown~ because it’s not a visual thing.

Very true! I still try to go a little in depth with the additions/changes I make because most of them are pretty important, while not bloating these posts with the technical aspects of everything. But yeah, some stuff (like what I’m working on now) really isn’t gonna be that palatable until its finished on a gameplay level.

Yo yo :sunglasses:

I do have very good news so I’ll start with that. I’ve made 80% of the enemies along with their code and it all works very nicely, and there’s some extra mechanical stuff with them. Two full levels have been finished and I’m just designing cutscene areas for storyline reasons. The only thing needed to be made is some NPCs and sprites.

As for the length of time for development I’ve been pretty busy with college stuff so the updates and amount of progress will probably become more sparse, but it’ll still be worked on of course.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Its been a long bit :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I have pretty exciting news: I have screenshots and details to share of progress!

Weapons

These are the currently finished guns for chapter two, with their own special functionalities, that I’ll describe below.

spit2

Luger

spit3

A pistol variant, with the ability to fire through multiple enemies with deadly accuracy. The downsides being a fairly short clip, and having click to fire.

Light(?) Machine Gun

spit6

The LMG sports a massive magazine size and a somewhat consistent bullet deviation even at max firing speed. A downside to this amazing gun is the wind up time to acquire said max speed, on top of damage resetting the wind up time. And yes, you get to keep the firing speed after reloads.

Conscript’s Rifle

spit11

A somewhat run of the mill rifle with the twist of firing two shots diagonally, that’s it.

AK 47

spit1

Another Rifle, with bullets that ricochet! Along with near pin point accuracy to boot.

RPG

spit5

A staple; fires a single rocket that explodes on impact.

overall I’m happy with the balance of the weapons, none of them feel too overpowered compared to each other and none of them supersede previous chapter weapons in perks.

Enemies

Just a select few enemies with their stats and abilities that are finished :blush:

Gato Conscript

spit7

• 4 HP
  • Deals 5 damage
  • Uses Conscript Rifle
  • Buffable

A rascal

Gato Officer

spit8

• 3 HP
  • Deals 5 damage
  • Uses Luger pistol
  • Buffs friendly rank and file gatos with increased damage

Gato Blitz

spit10

• 6 HP
  • Deals 10 damage
  • Uses RPG
  • Buffable

Gato Soldier

spit12

• 6 HP
  • Deals 10 damage
  • Uses AK Rifle
  • Buffable

A rascally rascal

Gato Field Officer

spit13

• 4 HP
  • Deals 5 damage
  • Uses luger pistol
  • Buffs Gato Soldiers with increased damage and periodic healing

Gato Jugger

spit14

• 6 HP
  • Deals 5 damage
  • Uses LMG
    *Buffable
  • Stronk looking

Gato Tanker

spit15

• 12 HP
  • Deals 5-10 damage
  • Is a tank
  • X formation Burst shot
  • Buffable

Blob Mercenary

spit16

• 5 HP
  • Deals 5 Damage
  • Uses standard rifle
  • Buffable

Gato Heavy Security

spit17

• 12 HP
  • Deals no damage (:wink:)
  • Almost Defenseless
  • Stagger-able

Gato B.E.H.O.L.D.E.R

spit18

• 12 HP
  • Deals 5 damage
  • Charges eye laser
  • Evil eye
Bug Fixes and changes

I didn’t keep track of most of my bug fixes, but many had to do with the newly created enemies and consistency issues with weapons. Here are a few notable fixes:

• Fixed dialog overlap (hopefully for good this time)
  • Fixed damage inconsistences between certain enemy bullets
  • Fixed visibility of specific objects not meant to be visible
  • Cleaned up dialogbox code
  • Changed Item//Throwable dropping keys. They are now dropped by holding down their respective keys for using them, and releasing said key to use (less keys woo!)
  • Tons of fixes regarding buff system for enemies
  • Fixed memory leak regarding player buffs, again
  • Tidied up sprites
  • Cleaned up minor code issues (logic stuff)
  • Fixed spiriting issues with a prop
  • Fixed incorrect camera positioning for chapter 1 boss
  • Color corrected a sprite
Upcoming stuff

just a few screenshots for in development levels/enemies/NPCS

• Small Level :flushed:

spit20

• Spooky Creature

spit21

• Spookier Creature

spit22

• Spookiest Creature

spit23

• Overalls :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s pretty much it for the updates as far as Spitfire goes. Still at work with the game, ironed out alot of issues with enemy coding, map creation, weapon variety and small bugs that passed through earlier bug fixing. As for the story stuff it had to wait, a tad too much of the content newly added was rougher around the edges than I would’ve liked. Hopefully the next update log isn’t 3 months away :sweat_smile:

Perhaps a little late in response, but it might be difficult for some to tell the difference between 2-3 of the cat soldiers until they start shooting. I don’t know if levels will all be preset, or if there’s some degree of randomness in troop spawning, but just thought I’d point that out. Great work, though!

I told you it wasn’t gonna be in 3 months

It was actually 7 liberal :sunglasses:

Anyway, yeah its been over half a year and progress has been rather slow. Again, mostly due to me being minorly busy, lack of motivation, and scaffolding ideas and trashing what falls apart.

Speaking of, I’m revamping the content I currently have in order to improve the core gameplay experience and strengthen the overall narrative (I know, more development creep but the gameplay isn’t really up to snuff in variety and quality on further longterm testing). This means respriting, revamping, and overhauling over code and levels which is probably not gonna take too long but I’m not promising anything at this point. When things are done they’ll be done and I’ll release the 2.0 release that’ll include what I’ve been previously working on along with the revamped chapter 1. I’ll see what I can do about improving sounds and music as thats something I’ve skimped on due to my lack of experience creating music, but I’m sure I can figure it out eventually.

Both to new and old peeps reading these update posts, thanks! :smiley:

Wait, can I be of assistance with sounds and music? :v)
I’m good at that.

Sure! always looking for pointers on improving aspects of the game :smiley:

Long time ago, I didn’t find any problem in the game. I didn’t mind the music so everything just fit.