Orsome + Ideas + other stupid stuff

if you dont want to read some self-loathing, life questions and confused duck noises dont bother reading c:

Let’s get the main point out of the way. Yes, I’m adding to the amount of posts where the OP has a bunch of issues and rants to an online forum. Sorry for that :frowning:

I don’t feel I’m that good at coming up with ideas and any form of art.

Most of my “cool” pixel art doesn’t fit RotMG very well, and when I try 8x8 and 16x16 I can never make my sprites look right. My ideas have either been done before or are too outgoing and wierd to be anywhere near viable or interesting.

Is this really true though? :confused:
I used to constantly feel bad about myself and thought I could have depression. Went to a doctor who said I did have symptoms of some sort of mental illness. Back then I could be called an introvert, lacked motivation to do anything and confidence to speak up, had anger issues, all that jazz.
I’m not sure if I’m just mega confused about myself. Beating myself up because that’s how I always felt. I mean, one’s own opinion of their own works is usually bad.
unless they’re a very egotistical scumbag.but i dont think im that bad.

But to be honest, nothing I’ve ever made has made me feel proud of myself. They’re all unfinished fantasies of “what if I did this…” or some crazy idea that isn’t well thought out.
to be honest I don’t post much ideas anymore. Maybe I have the capabilities to make slightly competent ideas now? I don’t know

That whole “I probably had depression” thing up there was when I was still in secondary school (English schooling, not sure if it’s the same in America), although more towards the end of my time there.

Now I’m more outgoing I guess. Tried to make friends outside of my social reject group (who are nice friends, but some are going to different schools n shit now so I gotta get used to college) and I’m trying to enjoy myself by being a (hopefully) kind and inspiring person to not only help others feel :slight_smile: but myself too.
Although, I do find myself only being… Well, myself when I’m on these very forums, and when I’m talking to my older sister. Who is basically the reason I didn’t collapse in some lackluster sadness shit back then.

Back onto the topic of ideas. Did I mention the Ideas Discord? I mentioned it once on some other off topic thread. I went up to it with a smile, accepted the public invite, and as soon as I was going to type some sort of “hey guys, it’s me :slight_smile:” in the general chat then I just backed the fuck up.
I probably have self esteem issues.
I’m constantly afraid of being metaphorically slapped for doing something stupid, idiotic, pointless.

Come to think of it, I haven’t made anything creative at all recently. Even being part of @Redox 's little project, I constantly make the excuse of “I’m working on it” and can never get round to doing anything because I procrastinate on how trash my sprites look and how I can’t nail down simple concepts…
speaking of, Redox you have some hella good art skills and unique ideas. Looking at your stuff I’m always saying to myself ‘yo Orsome git gud lel’ and ‘wish I could make cool stuff like that’. Same with JohnMH, their creations are so lovable

The weirdest thing about myself is how I seemed to… For lack of a better adjective, “smash” out of my depression?? Some nights I spent crying about how trash I am at everything and others about how the world is slowly destroying itself. Then one night I just… Snapped out of it? I don’t understand this at all.
I’m still pretty bummed out about shit in real life, but I’ve somehow made myself break out of the constant cycle of sadness. I probably never had true, actual mental depression if I managed to just break out of it in one night, but I don’t know. Out of my tiny list of accomplishments being good at psychology is not one of them.

I DID try hard to stop myself feeling like shit. Maybe I just succeeded overwhelmingly well…?

Although now I feel a bit better about myself it’s SO DAMN HARD to go about this whole “I have confidence” thing. I often don’t feel like it’s legitimate.

I also have really shitty organisation skills lol, one time in college I had three homeworks overdue for the same day and only just managed to finish them in between lessons and using my only free period of the day (wasting time I could have spent on the forums). I’m almost always late to everything, have a bad sleep schedule and can never get my priorities right.

here’s one of the worst parts.
I stress eat.

People look at me, and they say “What the hell do you mean you stress eat? You’re literally thin. That’s not possible.” My uncle even once called me anorexic. But HONESTLY, given that the definition of stress eating is consuming lots of food in response to my feelings, I can say I stress eat. It’s going all right now, I’m eating fairly normally (which is to say, a lot), but when I get into an argument with my parents, or I do something really shitty to someone else, et cetera, then it kicks in and I walk into the kitchen and eat random stuff to take my mind off of my troubles.
It’s a problem. :frowning:
Fucking hell, I’m in college as I’m writing this and I just took out a sandwich and started eating it even though I’m not hungry…
writing this a bit later, I ate my entire lunch at least two hours early even though I had breakfast
writing this even later, my friend offered to get me fast food and I accepted, had a fairly big meal. Dis defo problemo :c

My parents, they’re alright. No abuse (hmm), treat me fairly well (most of the time?) and when times are good, we get along.
When times AREN’T good…

My mum generally is the boss in our home. She used to be pretty nice when she asked me and my siblings to do some chores around the house, if we didn’t, she just said “come on, go do it”, all that. She’s changed now. If we DO go on to do something, but we fail horribly or don’t do it properly, she can get pretty angry. She sometimes calls her OWN mum to complain, then my grandma calls me and gets angry that we aren’t obeying my mum. (Yes, obeying.) also she’s really catholic. That gets scary.“y’all gonna go to h e l l”

My dad generally ignores me. im fine with that for reasons given below
When my mum’s home, he just does his own thing.when she’s not home I hide in my room. I’m the one he hates most out of my siblings. It’s really awkward when it’s just us two, and when he’s angry then I usually just leave. He’s really patronizing towards me if we even speak.
I don’t really think I have a bad relationship with my parents, but, especially with my dad, I don’t feel like I can tell them about this sort of stuff. especially my dad O.O

There’s other things, but I really don’t know what to address and how. This post? Maybe part apology to Redox for being a lazy shit and part call for help.

If anyone could come talk, suggest ways to keep me inspired, motivated, maybe discuss ducks to make me a bit happier, tell me I’m a fucking idiot for worrying all for nothing, then go ahead.

How do you know without other people judgement? And there’s always room to improve. Why not send them to me on discord and I’ll give you feedback on a few?

I think we’ve all been through the phase of depression as humans, everyone has a low point in their lives.
I have been in many of the same situations as you jugding from what you’ve wrote and I can deeply relate to all of it.

ftfy

I procrastinate on my own project two, I’ve hardly touched the documents themselves for the past month and neither has anyone else there. :sweat_smile:

No better than anyone else. :smile::man_shrugging:t5:

I wish I could see what you’ve made because I honestly think you’re being too hard on yourself. :confused:

Sometimes you just don’t have time to be depressed.
This is rather a good thing, similar to how I broke out of that mental state.

Speak to me on discord bruh :wave:t5::smile:

Mega-positive :blush::+1:t5:

Same man, you’ll still feel awkward at first but you’ll gain confidence from openin yourself up to new experiences and situations.

Me

Also me :joy:

You’re not the only one. :laughing:

:eyes: Are we the same person?

:joy:

About the parent situation, I had a similar relationship a few months ago and I just opened up to them, told bem how I truly felt.
The heavens broke open and I flooded with tears and then we were great friends again (with both of them) after being not so great for more than a year.

Neither did I, but as weird as it feels it is needed.
Speaking to them and poiring your heart out lets them know how you feel and takes the heaviest of burdens off your heart.

No need to apologize :smile:
I don’t get annoyed at these thing, remember I said work in your own time.
This forum community is like a slightly disfunctional family and you’re like my long-lost brother. :joy::blue_heart:

Hey, my name’s Redox. :raising_hand_man:t5:

thanks for the overwhelmingly positive comment :heart:
Sure we can discuss my life problems on Discord :slight_smile:

BREEEEEEEEEEE

I’m not sure I’m in much of a position to sympathize: my imagination has always been running constantly and bringing ideas and concepts into whatever medium I happen to want to express it in. looking back, I’m pretty sure it’s mostly trash, but I’ve never felt bad about how bad it was because I’ve always looked to improve. in many areas I’ve discovered that I’ve got a bit of talent for it and can do some pretty cool stuff. I guess the two things I’d have to say on this matter are that you should realize initial attempts are almost always bad, and that if something doesn’t come easily you might want to consider finding something else to do. I realize those two things are partially in opposition to each other, but I will stand by both of them.

on the subject of forum ideas and rotmg fan projects, I wouldn’t stress too hard about the design process. as someone who has transitioned from the “forum idea pro” state to the “ugc code monkey” state, I can definitively say that being able to actually experience what you’re saying is a huge deal of the design process that most people (if not everyone) lack access to. having gotten my hands dirty, I can say with 100% confidence that the Clock Tower is bad bordering on unplayable in its current state. puffagod’s Beyond and Paracosm are just as bad if not much worse. what sells is the story, and that’s why puffagod’s stuff is really well received: he is a master storyteller, maybe even the best in the entire rotmg playerbase. don’t worry too much about the nitty-gritty details, it’s more important that they be there than they be good because you’re never going to get it right.

I can really relate with you Orsome.

Rotmg sprite feedback has always been fundamentally toxic. Everyone has their own ideal, style, agenda, whatever they’ll try to push on you. This is amplified to the extreme on the ideas discord, if you aren’t doing everything the circlejerk says you’re wrong and an idiot who refuses to improve / can’t take criticism / etc. Really not a very pleasant place. There’s a few people who genuinely want to help you improve. As for toxic criticism this will come off as bad, but don’t let it get to you like I let it get to me.

Realm does not have a uniform style at the moment, every UGC member does something different, and a lot of the time you can immediately tell who made what. So it’s well and good to form your own style of doing things. That being said, there are somethings that look good and somethings that don’t, there is always room for improvement. Just don’t be afraid to ignore criticism you feel is bad.

When it comes to ideas don’t feel pressured to constantly be outputting whatever. Do what you want when it comes to you. Take extended breaks between work if you feel the need. Feeling pressured to make something is just unnecessary stress from something that should be a hobby.

And finally, to me it sounds like your parents suck. That really is a bad relationship and is definitely a hostile environment to be in.

here’s a cute video to cheer you up a lil

No, please, I don’t want that drama to come here :sweat:

As I said in the OP my relations with my parents isn’t really bad. It’s nothing compared to what others have experienced solosen

Apart from the first and last paragraphs, I can agree. I should try hard to get my own style that’s nice to look at, yeah. I forgot rotmg sprites are made by multiple people :sweat_smile: I’ll take breaks and stuff too, I try to get everything done at once usually, and that might be one of my problems.
Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

As said above I’ve realised sort of that I usually try to get all my stuff done at once. So I’ll follow your advice gladly even if they oppose each other :slight_smile:

Given that you know your shit, I’ll try not to stress myself out too much :sweat_smile:

Honestly I could take the last phrase the wrong way here, but I get what you mean. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be enjoyable, right? :slight_smile:
also hell yes i figured out how to quote more than once on my phone

oops now I see it too

yes, let’s go with that

i can relate, kind of. my parents never really physically abused me(except for the occasional spanking when i was young), only yelling. i guess im used to it now.
there isnt much for me to say, but yeh i kind of know how you feel. maybe try talking to her about it?

umm, what. His parent’s seem OK, I mean, I know they could be better, but honestly think about how much effort it takes to raise a child. Also his parent’s seem like more like easy-going asain parents tthan anything else.

Just an opinion though.

You shouldn’t have to deal with that alone, I’m not sure how much I can help but if you need to, you can talk to me anytime.

Alone inside I wish that I could die.
Alone inside I wish that I could die.

You’ve obviously been looking at new genres of music lately.

Same, that’s pretty much the situation here.

hahahaha
Yesterday I shared that opinion too given my neutral stand on the topic of my parents, but SINCE THEN my mum went on another shouty rant at my sisters but the way she speaks she drags everyone into trouble “why do you lot never do anything after yourselves”. Might as well mention the other bs she does. Did you know that even 100% Catholics talk shit about people behind their backs? If you didn’t, now you do. My mum is a good example. Hell, she calls some people “autistic” based on their behaviour and pretty much hates anyone who is LGBT, atheist, you name it. When I mentioned she can be pretty scary at times, I meant it. But maybe it’s not her specifically? Because she makes other people do the scary stuff. for example what my dad did, mentioned below…

Also, my dad has just decided he’s going to block EVERYONE’s internet access apart from for himself and my mum. The reason? “We” were sliiiiightly late to school about three times and apparently that’s everyone’s fault. Because my mum never tells us when she’s going (we rely on her to get us to school even though we could easily take the bus), is late herself, or doesn’t leave the house/get into the car until we’re already ten minutes late.
He’s being a massive scumbag about it.

He also went into my sister’s room and started flicking the lights on and off even though he knows she goes to bed really early so she can get enough sleep. She told him to stop as well. What the fuck is he, some child who takes pleasure from this shit?

Also, I think the REASON he doesn’t hit me anymore is because my mum joked a while ago that I could hit him back with the sane force since I’m taller now.

I never want to get angry at my parents and what they do, because they’re still my parents and they’re not the worst people I could think of.
But how is this sort of punishment even punishment? I had to wait ages before I could write this or talk to ANYONE about my problems thanks to the ban.

It’s really not helping. :frowning:

FTFY

I…technically needed to break out of it alone because Polish/slavic parenting doesn’t believe in mental issues and the doctor of course just redirected me and went “not my problem”. And I wouldn’t bother my sister with this sort of stuff because she has her own problems (anxiety and other things).
But if you want to talk, then sure :slight_smile:

Mate, you leave america, and nobody believes in mental illness.

England does.
Poland doesn’t.

@SoloSen and @Redox
Thanks so much for the discord talks. You guys are great :heart: :smile:

:+1:t5: