Oryx 2 modifications?

Oryx 2, after the latest modification, can be quite difficult. Excluding his first stage(classical old Oryx), Oryx 2 kills those who get too close and are not prepared. He takes (some) skill to kill, whether you’re melee or ranged. With this high difficulty increase, the new increased drop rate makes sense, right?

Clearly, a problem has formed. Ever since the drop rate increase of Oryx 2, there had been a influx of tops and the value of tops has dropped significantly. The simple explanation is that although Oryx 2 has been buffed, his difficulty has not increased relative to his drop rate. This explanation could explain more tops, but as I haven’t received a top from every Oryx 2, it shouldn’t have led to such a massive increase.

The problem that is being missed is that a solid 90% of the people in every Oryx 2 I’ve run have only landed damage during the first stage, the stage in which Oryx 2 is stunnable and easy to deal with. These people then leech for the rest of Oryx 2, leaving the actual killing to more skilled players. As they have hit SB, they have the exact same chance of receiving as those risking their lives to finish off Oryx 2. Because these people aren’t actually risking their lives but have landed SB, more people (by a considerable amount) are receiving tops then deserve to if everyone were putting in full effort throughout the entire battle. This problem doesn’t just occur at Oryx 2 but is most evident there due to the massive amount of people there.

Below are a couple of my potential solutions:

1. The first one is what I believe DECA may have planned. Changing all of Oryx 2’s stages at once would make it too difficult for players to adapt. Because of it, they decided to begin Oryx 2 with a familiar stage but changed his second stage into a variety of different possibilities. Once, the majority of the player base had adapted, change the first stage. In the end, a drastic change has occurred but the player base seen it as two seperate changes, neither of which suddenly made Oryx 2 entirely different.

2. Running through the Wine Cellar is more tedious than it is difficult. If the purpose is to weed out the weak, it’s a failure at that. Any level 20 who can dodge can make it through the maze to Oryx 2. All the path actually does is separate out the slower troops from the faster troops. In that case, why not remove it. Instead, similar to the concept from Mad God Mayhem, have people teleported into the Oryx 2 room. If there is no long path to Oryx 2, there is also no escaping the room.

Some level of skill could be encouraged by lowering the size of the room and adding more movement to Oryx 2 (In adding the more difficult stages, they removed Oryx 2’s movement stages). This would force leechers to at least do some basic dodging. Otherwise, they could get trapped into a corner or shotgunned.

1. The reason why such a massive number of people are able to leech is that with a massive group of people, there is almost a guarantee that someone is capable of taking out Oryx by themselves. Now they just have to do twenty times the work. However, why not cut the number of people.

Algorithm for splitting x people into separate groups (MATH :D):

Find the smallest integer less than x/10. Call this new integer b.

If x = 0 (mod 10), create b groups of size 10

If x < b (mod 10), create b groups of size 10 or 11

If x = b (mod 10), create b groups of size 11

If x > b (mod 10), if x < 6 (mod 10), create b groups of 9, one group of 5+b

If x > b (mod 10), if x > 5 (mod 10), create b groups of 10, one group of x (mod 10)

Note, the size groups maxes out at 11 and minimizes at 6. By decreasing the number of classes, it would be more difficult for people to get easy damage on Oryx’s first stage. The lack of people there also forces cooperation. In addition, knowing that there is a max of 11 people, the necessary soulbound damage could be increased to at least 1/30 - 1/40 of Oryx’s total hit points. Assuming no one’s leeching (and you know the damage threshold), you’re likely to back off after doing slightly over the required damage. By increasing the damage threshold, people are forced to go in during the later stages or risk not getting loot.

The largest problem with this concept (not individual parts of the plan) that I can think of, comes with the removal of luck loot to beginners/PPEs/poorer people. However, the problem is that Oryx 2 was never supposed to be a beginning game boss. Oryx 2 is supposed to be the ultimate boss of the game. With the introduction of Halls bosses and Nest, it is unlikely that he will be the ultimate boss, but he should not be a top dropping test chest for beginners.

Thank you for bringing this up.

I agree with you when you say that Oryx should be more mobile. At his current state, it’s pretty boring when you can literally duck out of the fight and stand there with little risk of dying. There are several alternative solutions to the ones you proposed:

1. I feel like maybe a thing they could add is a wine bottle throwing phase. I mean they are in a wine cellar and they barely even implement the idea. The wine bottle could be a bomb type attack, like earth smash and leave trails of wine on the ground that deal piercing damage. It would definitely have a longer range, presenting itself as a significant threat to leechers.

2. Have the walls spawn the scarab bombs, or whatever they are called. Probably not a lot, but make it so that any one who leeches by the walls gets attacked by them. Of course this would only be for the phases where oryx is immobile. You probably wouldn’t want this to be a thing in the last phase.

You also have to take into account the event dungeons. Every single event chest so far drops tops and many themselves, including ddocks, drops tops at a large rate.

I think Oryx 2 and even Oryx 1 should be redesigned from scratch. The game’s name itself states that the final and hardest boss of the game is “mad god” which is Oryx, I can sense it even if I never played the game and just saw the name.

And in my opinion, Wine Cellar is done sloppy and trivially just to groom a place where you are able to get top items, excluding its name and concept.

On the other hand, if we also evaluate other end-game dungeons such as Lost Halls and their rarity to get in, Oryx shouldn’t be that much hard since it is almost something we regularly see as everyone has an inc.

I can’t rate your suggestions but this must be a top topic even DECA makes thoughts about.

Sadly can’t agree with that. Not happened to me usually. However I’m aware of Oryx 2’s drop rate.

Yes but considering you have on average, 1 person getting a top per dungeon, and how many dungeons are popped each day, that’s at leach a couple hundred, if not thousands of tops being introduced into the game. I’ve seen people sell tops for dex in USS because of the sheer number that people get.

light blue star luck

That’s completely another story. People happy with event chest even though I’m not since it is just too much.

IKR. Someone even gave me an Acclaim god knows why while waiting one to pop a Nest.

Because its useless to sell them rn. Resale value of all tops rn are really bad. Also you have to remember theirs an influx of life from Nests and now people want to buy high priced items like fairy plates, pierce spells, or pixies.

a player-formed economy changing is not inherently a “problem”.

Tops have been decreasing in value ever since the beginning of the game. I think @Shatter posted a pic from a long time ago where all the tops were like 10 life on average.

honestly… O2 has been so ez recently compared to previously imo. These new phases i can do dmg as a 0/8 melee, before i would not even do O2 any form of melee

yeah thats pretty much what i do. But i also did that before the change.

no one is escaping the room. When on slow characters, its usually in phase two, meaning i have to get dps in on either phase 2/3 or the ending. The ending is a no for me if i want reliable dmg. And it just comes down to if there is good phases for one of the two. So there is some form of use. Also the rushing parts is also semi skimming. Although it could bebetter.

honestly this is like every modern dungeon. very similar to void.

It works though, doesn’t it?

In my opinion, the Secluded Thicket’s way of dealing with duck-outers is very effective: make the boss throw heavy-damage bombs at players that are at a certain distance.

Of course, with O2 dealing lots more damage than Tezcacoatl, this could result in heavily-damaged players backing out shortly being ended unfairly, so it would probably need some tweaking…

make the bombs do like 35 damage a pop or something like that lol

@CaesarVIII Interesting ideas of you own. I do understand that the event chests drop tops, and a decent rate at that. I also understand that during events, tops values normally do drop. The problem may be in fact also a problem with the events but I don’t believe the value of tops have dropped so dramatically and that’s why I would like to put at least some blame on oryx 2

@AKLDragon I did fail to consider a consistent drop in values of tops. However, the drop that has recently occurred in the value of tops is quite dramatic considering the time in which it occurred. Most tops (abilities at least) have halved in value within a month.*

@Scorchmist First, it might just be me, but I believe Oryx 2 got more difficult for the majority of other people. However, I also must note that I think Oryx 2 got nicer for those with more powerful pets. As for your comment on how you leeched before and after the change, my point wasn’t that there was a increase in the amount on leechers. My point was that increased drop rate doesn’t really make sense assuming that the leechers stay the same, unless the purpose was to simply have more tops in the economy. Finally, I believe the purpose of changing Oryx 2 is to modernize him… oryx 2 is very much a boss of the past.

honestly thats what i felt like the motive was. Since the release of lh tops, original tops have pretty much fallen hard, so the only expensive tops anymore were abts and it felt like they just decided to balance it out.

indeed, especially how they probably increased the drop rate of incs now, my vault is getting flooded by these

yeah probably, originally you could just dodge everything now, and it feels more tankable. Like the old O2 i wouldnt tank on any class.

Just a whine cellar I was in. Some people are leeching, but most people are starting to help as they learn the new phases.

Impressive. I haven’t run that many cellars. My opinion was entirely based off of what I saw.
However, also, 50% of the people are hanigng out on the side

also to add on we should probs only have 1 oryx plus the stone guardians and take take out o1 and make o2 drop whites and better stuff. Also make the boss fight way harder

well if that was the purpose, don’t change Oryx edit. I just assumed that it was an accident