Oryx Buff + Requiring Lost Sentry and Nest to Close Realms

While most people think it is a bad idea because they are hard to do and requires effort, this idea brings into question a more important issue. As of now, with more endgame content (LH 2.0 :slight_smile: ) the value of WC Tops decreases. The proof of that are the staggering prices of these items, I remember the old days when Cosmics were 3-4 life and now they are worth a meager 1-1.5 life.

So which boss takes the hardest hit? Most of the places that drop WC Tops have their own whites that fill their niche (even LOD’s whites are arguably useful) so people still do these dungeons. Only one dungeon boss doesn’t drop whites but drop WC tops, Oryx, the mascot and the supposed final boss, the ruler of all realms.

In summary, while DECA has been posting cool endgame dungeons for our bored maxed out players, the purpose of killing Oryx has been lost, which was originally for getting the valued WC tops. We are after all literally playing in the Realm of the Mad God, and someone so important to the game has been cast aside.

I’ve been thinking of ways to make the experience of killing more Oryx fun and worthwhile, but the only way for this to happen is to have better drops for Oryx. But there needs to be some tradeoff for better items in terms of difficulty. This is where the idea of forcing players to clear the Lost Sentry and the Nest comes into play. First of all it forces players to work together otherwise the realm will never close.

Another beneficial side-effect of this is making event whites (let alone event dungeons :smile:) more rare as one cannot “grind” realms. Let’s be honest the concept of grinding realms was never meant to exist, but our community has gotten advanced to such an extent that it is doable.

People may say these events take too long and do not drop loot. While maybe 5-6 people doing a Lost Sentry is hard , once it is counted toward closing the realm, having 40-85 players forced to complete a Lost Sentry is relatively easy. Still, the Lost Sentry forces groups to be careful and organized, bringing a more arguably fun game aspect in realm to all players. On top of that, if there is better loot to be attained after closing a realm, people will want to close realms.

Summary:

• Oryx is out mascot/main enemy, yet he drops outdated things and he is not worth to fight

• We need to update his loot table, clearly adding more things will entice people to close realms for some good loot and fight him

The balance:

• Make realms harder to close by forcing players to finish the Lost Sentry and the Nest

• Make Oryx harder through varying shot patterns

The beneficial effects:

• Value of event whites increases as people cannot do events at a faster pace

• People cannot grind realms without a lot of coordination (realms are meant to be a team effort)

• Oryx becomes a real endgame enemy that people look forward to as a noob or a good player. After all he is our iconic logo, the main boss, and the owner of the realms we play in. This should be emphasized upon, everyone should be looking forward to a fight with him.

Note: I posted this on another page but it was moved to discussion so I’m reposting it here as an Idea

Do We Need an Oryx 3?

The bosses trapped in the lost halls have a plan to defeat oryx, so I would imagine that they are meant to be stronger than him, but as a leader he was able to use the help of his minions to trap them in the lost halls so even though he was the main task he has enemies that would like to over throw him making them the new (mad gods) of the realm correct?

By no means am I saying that Lost Halls should be easier than Oryx, but everything done in the realm is done to overthrow Oryx. By vandalizing his realm, unleashing one of his fears (and defeating it sometimes), and etc. you anger him enough to invite you to a fight.

Plot aside, I’m looking at this from an old player perspective. Oryx was the main goal of realms: close realm, do WC, get WC tops, get rich, repeat. Now Oryx is literally a potato, and it is not in sync with the emphasis they put on him as the main antagonist. I offered some resolutions that benefit everyone and it is not hard to implement for the DECA devs.

I agree that something has to be done but I don’t think that making sentry and nest required is the solution. I do, however, agree that Oryx needs a buff (damage wise, not just health wise please). Also, I think at some point, nests were required… Instead of running them however, people would just go to other realms and hope that server had completed the nest because no one was willing to do it unless they had no choice. When such a thing occured, what ended up happening was 4-5 pros ended up running the nest while everybody else just decided that they would rather run god lands and basic dungeions then to go run against a nest. I think the main problem there is that nest and lost sentry are on a entirely different skill level then every one of the other event bosses and in the end, drop something that is only somewhat useful half the time.

Sure it is at a different skill level, but if the Oryx loot table increases with some UTs added that are interesting (there are a ton of good item ideas in the forum rn) closing realms would be valued. And on top of that the loot you get would be equally rewarding. Honestly, Lost Sentry and Nests are not too hard if the whole realm focuses on it as mentioned above.

Simply buffing Oryx and his loot table will not do, then it will be an ol’ battle of attrition and whoever lasts longer wins. Making these events mandatory increases the difficulty of getting these UT’s or loot from Oryx in a unique way. Plus I guarantee there are so many developed players in the community at this point if we could change how people view these events more people would them and these events would be much easier than expected. The best incentive to change this mentality is to make these events part of the closing process, and it will not be viewed as a difficulty but instead a task to overcome. Even better, with better loot, pro players and noob players alike will strive to close realms regardless of the difficulties they face.

that server had completed the nest because no one was willing to do it unless they had no choice.

Not only will they have no choice to complete the realm but on top of that they are looking at better loot which I hope is more enticing than old god lands. Sure people will avoid these events because they may not get loot from it individually, but in the end they are losing far more by not doing the event, they are missing out on more opportunities for loot they could have gotten from new realms or from Oryx, which players will understand as time goes on.

TL;DR Realm community is advanced enough at this point to up the difficulty. Think of this as “scaling” Oryx and the difficulty to meet him, which was initially supposed to be hard and require a team effort, but with so many maxed players it is a joke atm

In that case, I think you need to work out the idea more. I would want to know what he drops and how much Oryx will get buffed to figure out whether I would be willing to risk my 6/8 in a long pain in the ass battle against a lost sentry

Forcing players to do something they don’t want to do is generally not a good idea. Especially when that something doesn’t make them money. The events just aren’t worth doing so nobody cares about them. Instead of trying to force everyone to do them with you until you get the whites why not try to propose a good way they can be more appealing? The nest started as being required to close a realm and so did the oryx horde and I’m sure you saw how much hate they got, I see no reason to bring that back.

I remember that, but that was due to the fact that there was no reason to close realms. Like @Leohe said I need to think about what items and loot that should be added to Oryx and his buff. Then the picture of how enticing it is to close the realm will be clearer

Another thing I would like to point out is that everyone currently hates these two events because doing it with less people is honestly a pain in the ass. This is the similar case with Avatar, while he may drop Shatters, there is no guarantee for that and his bossfight takes a long time too when done with less people. Making good loot drop from post-realm-close dungeons will make people in the realm as a group want to finish events.

Lastly you comment about something that doesn’t make money. It is quite the opposite. If these events are required to close, the rate of doing the same dungeon is bound to decrease. For example, I want to do tombs with my guild or just in general. Old solution: guild-run realms or individually focus on closing the realm. Now I can’t really do that or it is just too difficult, it requires a lot of people from the realm to join. So now I can’t do more tombs, and now there is a greater incentive to buy keys because I can do the dungeon although it costs money.

The summary of this is that the time needed to get a certain dungeon increases if these events are added and the value of the keys increases in terms of your time and thus your money is worth more of your time.

Closing the realm shouldn’t be what makes people want to kill the bosses or else it’s just going to feel tedious and we’re going to have another outrage about being forced to kill a boss we have no interest in killing. Focus on the events in question not on how you can make it more rewarding for them after forcing them to kill the boss.

Doing something is better than doing nothing, which is a dilemma many players are facing atm, so in terms of feeling tediousness I feel like grinding godlands is the same. And on to your first statement, why not? I want good loot and I need to kill this boss to do it. Take Ice Caves for example, I need to kill all the big monsters to reach the entrance to the boss. It is tedious lmao but it never caused an outrage. It will only cause an outrage if the time spent is not proportional to the rewards received.

And I disagree. The argument would just turn into “I want oryx items so why do I have to kill this boss?” If you want oryx to be tedious to reach then add something in the castle so it at least feels connected to him and thus gives you an obvious reason to why you’re killing it. Nobody ever complains about the statues before janus or the enemies before the ice cave for that reason, it’s what is required of you to get what you want and there’s no argument to be made against it.

Also there is an upcoming ice cave change to make it less tedious so I think the community disagrees with you.

Well, the argument of why do I have to kill this boss is true for all of the common events - Ents, Liches, Ghost Kings. You do not get anything, and the purpose of actually killing these events is to get a new realm for more events, which is not the intended purpose of course (it should be Oryx) but the same logic can be applied to making LS and Nest mandatory. So that argument cannot be really made, it is just the fact that it is harder event than usual.

Making these events mandatory addresses more than what appears on the surface. Currently realms are not a team effort whatsoever. The only event that requires teamwork atm is Avatar. Also, players have reach a skill tier where ideas for endgame content is getting more popular as there are more people able to do it. So making this change will not seriously obstruct player’s goal for new realms. Plus, closing was supposed to be much harder than how it is now, with the addition of pets and advanced players, closing realms is a joke and it needs to be scaled.

What I do not understand is why people view Lost Sentry or Nest as tedious. Have you ever tried Lost Sentry with 10+ people? It is pretty easy. Doing a Nest with a fulmi sorc, or Lost Sentry with a puri priest, these aspects of the game promote the very essence of the purpose of events - teamwork. We just have it hardwired in our brains that these events are hard, because at one moment not more than 10 people do it, and then it gets admittedly tough.

I made a bad example with the Ice Cave. I agree The thing about Ice Cave is that it is insanely tedious, and what makes it worse is that the loot you get from it is not worth the time. Even mana is not of a high value atm and the other UTs are pretty trash. So it still validates the time spent vs. rewards correlation I mentioned above, if this is not met, there will be a general disagreement with the dungeon as you stated.

What if killing sentry and nest doesn’t close the realm, but instead unlock a new boss who can drop better loot and is harder than O2, like, it would be fun to get more paths for choice in castle, like Janus the court or oryx then O2, why not include another path, this could give the really pro players a real challenge rather than simply popping oryx, and the lesser players such as myself can go and have a better experience with oryx and oryx 2

Oryx 3 :upside_down_face:

Not a bad idea … maybe LS and Nest should be not mandatory for closing realm but if you do kill them it unlocks the path for O3 after O2. Possible…

But tbh the experience of closing realms shouldn’t be as easy as it is atm

Plus DECA got nothing to lose as people will be more motivated to buy keys if they are made mandatory

Pretty good idea. Maybe DECA could make something out of that.
Either way, imo I always thought that the nest and lost sentry should have to be killed to close the realm. They aren’t particularly difficult, and they actually encourage player unity, team work, are actually offer new challenges, (unlike other event bosses which tbh, are really boring and get steamrolled), which is something that no other event emphasizes. It is quite sad to see two unique events so underappreciated.

I am also an old player with almost 6 years behind me, I agree that O3 would make sense seeming as how when you defeat him once he just retreats to his wine cellar so why not let him retreat again and have a super hard boss that’s worth something again.

Maybe O2 should be auto, incs should be harder to obtain and a inc would be required to activate god lord O3

There is a REASON they made it so those events weren’t in the criteria for closing realms.

(Negative feedback, I assume.)

Please actually read the thread before making a reply. I know this is kind of hypocritical but I think that some of the other comments help explain how this could work out pretty well

Don’t worry, I read it thoroughly.