Patch X.16.0 - Month of the MAD GOD & Lost Halls

Cross post from reddit.

Ahem ahem. Let’s start with a message from the entire Deca team today:

This release marks the first anniversary of the complete transfer of Realm of the Mad God from Kabam to Deca!

A little more than one year ago, we took over the operations and development of the game with the objective to breathe new life into it. It has been a great ride, not everyday smooth but always rewarding. Our team has grown in both size and experience, we met a lot of dedicated and talented community members who helped us designing exciting new content along the way and also could always rely on the Community as a whole to share great ideas, feedback, complaints, bug reports, kind words or fun memes!

We are looking forward to many more years of fun with Realm of the Mad God and are very thankful to you all for your support!

Well, with that out of the way, here comes the patch notes! Month of the Mad God and Lost Hall incoming in 30 minutes!

Note: If you can’t connect to the game, try using the website to see if the issue comes from the Client you’re using!

New!

• Month of the Mad God! You can check the schedule here. Month of the Mad God ends Tuesday September 5th.
  • Lost Hall is live! Give Kiddforce, Toastrz & the rest of the crew a good pat on the back if you see them!
  • The Oryx Horde has arrived! Look for Craig in the Realm and ruin his day like the evil adventurers you are! Hans, are we the baddies?
  • Be on the lookout! Both Biff and the Leprechaun will also be back later during the month… with a vengeance!
  • New Fame Box every Thursday starting on August 10th! Limit of 5 per player (Craig’s Welcome Fame Box limited to 1 per player)
  • Deca Anniversary Package will be up in a few hours! Be sure to grab it before MotMG ends and get your free Gold Mystery Skin, Backpack and 100 Mystery Stat Pots (SB)! This pack is only available to players who created their account before August 1st 2017.

Shop & Items

• Nexus Shop revamp! You can now find older skins on sale directly in the Nexus.
  • Dye Remover! You can find both Accessory & Clothing Dye Removers in the Nexus for 50 Fame.
  • Pet Food update! Most Pet Food items price have been decreased and Feed Power increased.
  • Skin & Pet Stone update! Skins’ & Pet Stones’ Feed Power have been adjusted according to their rarity.
  • Moss, Stone, Mad God Tokens & Bags will drop during MotMG! Gather 10 Tokens to fuse them into the corresponding Bag, and open it to get a random prize! Participate in MotMG Events to get more tokens!
  • Mystery Stat Potions & Mystery Keys have been added to the game! Note: Unlike the Ruby, Emerald & Diamond Key, Mystery Keys will drop a Key and not directly create a portal. Potions acquired from Mystery Stat Potions are Soulbound.

New Tops are soulbound

• In order to avoid the risk of new end-game content getting immediately ruined by duping, new tops will be soulbound at release
  • Duping aside, we want players actually taking risks by running Lost Halls to acquire new tops
  • New Tops may become un-soulbound in the future, however there is no current plan yet to do so.

Tinkerer

• The Tinkerer is taking some time off in preparation of a grand re-opening! Don’t worry, he’ll be back soon - expect some awesome changes!

Loot System and Dungeons

Thresholds

Damage thresholds have been lowered almost across the board. This mainly applies to Stat Potion and UT drops from Encounters and Godlands dungeons.

Potion Drops

We have introduced 2 minimum Stat Potions to various dungeons (mostly Godlands so far) and made probability more consistent!
Note: 2 minimum means 2 players will get 1 each guaranteed, 1 player will still only get 1 guaranteed.

Dungeon Generation

We adjusted the length and generation of a few dungeons, most notably Abyss of Demons and Toxic Sewers length has been decreased and the chance for Abyss Idols and Golden Rats has been increased.

Other

Puppet Theatre no longer has loot chests.
The Green Drake Egg drops from Greater Nature Sprites.

Balancing

Scepters Follow-Up

Scepter of Fulmination has decreased MP cost and damage but more targets.

• MP Cost: -10 (80 -> 70)
  • Damage Base: -70 (220 -> 150)
  • Damage Decrease: -10 (40 -> 30)
  • Damage per WIS: -2 (8 -> 6)
  • Targets Base: +1 (4 -> 5)
  • Targets (WIS per): -4 (10 -> 6)

Skulls

• Overall: maximum HP bonus, lower MP Costs, damage increased significantly
  • Wisdom scaling: past 50 Wisdom, Skulls will receive bonuses
    • Each point increases damage, the amount depends on the Skull
    • Every 10 points will add additional player healing range
  • Damage and heal amounts are now separated to allow for damage balancing separately
  • Ignore defense: enemy defense can be bypassed, the amount depends on the Skull
  • Now shows a nova effect like Tomes for the heal to indicate range, flow particles have been disabled for now
Skull
Tier
Bonus HP
MP Cost
Radius
Base Damage
Bonus/WIS
Def Ignore
Heal
Necrotic Skull
+10
Breathtaker Skull
+5
+10
+5
Heartstealer Skull
+15
+10
+10
Soul Siphon Skull
+30
+10
+15
Essence Tap Skull
+45
+15
+25
Lifedrinker Skull
+60
+20
+35
Bloodsucker Skull
+70
+30
+40
Skull of Endless Torment
+40
+80
+60
Cracked Crystal Skull
+50
+10
+20
Skullish Remains of Esben
+40
+10
+30

Feed Power

Skull of Endless Torment: 250 -> 1000
Skullish Remains of Esben: 250 -> 800
Staff of Esben: 250 -> 700

Polish

Quality of Life

• Oryx’s realm closing message is now also sent to all dungeons in the realm
  • Trap tooltips now display their trigger radius
  • The Beekeeper will now drop an exit portal if the Killer Bee Queen has already been defeated

Fixes

• Login calendar now correctly displays server time instead of local time. Please note that all servers run on UTC, meaning the daily Calendar resets happens at 5pm PDT for instance.
  • Trying to log in through Steam when banned should now properly display a ban message instead of being stuck in a permanent black loading screen.
  • Rogues will get sickened by sewage when invisible. No more hazmat cloaks, sorry Rogues!
  • Haunted Cemetery
  • Removed self-heal for Possessed Child which prevents invisibility glitch and disconnect in area 2
  • Fixed teleport spots outside of areas 1 and 2
  • Rounded out safe spots in areas 1 and 2
  • Fixed enemy walk-able trees in area 2
  • Strings
  • Fixed Empty Beach Bum Oryx taunt
  • Fixed various typos
  • Other
  • Attempting to purchase Scepters from the Nexus store no longer breaks the buy panel
  • Scepter tool tips should be displayed properly when hovered on leader boards
  • Fixed treasure room hallways in The Nest
  • Several small and miscellaneous fixes

Aesthetics

• Leviathan has a new sprite and animations, still has like ten billion guns though
  • Sword of the Acclaim and Hydra Skin Armor sprites have been adjusted
  • Lair of Draconis has its original 8x8 portal

Cosmetics

Now go out there and enjoy MotMG! Big thanks to all our testers as always! Don’t hesitate to drop us a word if you have a comment or feedback.

[Spoiler] – MotMG Farewell Box on Testing
Craig's Fame Box
Event timezone
Constant Dc-ing

is fproj realmeye link up yet??

the update isnt up yet

o rip

but I think the server is already down
Edit: Its there!

It’s up now for flash but everyones just looking for the fri itenz

:frowning:

I LOVE how they said “and fun memes!” <3 :slight_smile: <3

And the calendar

It’s unsettling that I did this for 20 people so far…

I already got a Sorc Stone skin, and this snazzy headband cloth! Loving it so far!

Also, All bless the Trickster, I didn’t realize how awesome this thing was at support! I even got SB w/ T5 dagger!

flow particles have been disabled for now

RIP Lagromancer, 2010-2017

Anyone seen the updated Levithan sprite?

Yes

Its got a much smaller neck now

Where do you get the sorcerer skin?

My keyboard has decided not to work (on mobile rn)

What is this megamad guardian thing? I’ve never seen it before but those other things are lost halls deaths

I cant buy the dye remover, even though I have enough

Stone bag, from fame box!

Wow. Now this is a day I never thought I’d see. After a gargantuan nine month development time starting October 15th, the Lost Halls have arrived. To put that in perspective, someone in the world went through the entire process of pregnancy and childbirth from start to finish within the span of the Lost Halls development period. An unbelievable amount of time has been spent polishing and balancing this into not just a dungeon, but the closest RotMG will likely ever get to a full-fledged raid.

I know I usually do my detailed explanation post here and there’s certainly plenty of other good stuff in this patch, but I don’t think I have the focus to talk about anything other than the Lost Halls. But before I give my gameplay tips and warnings, I have to get all sappy for a moment and give some sincere thank-yous.

The in-game key already has a credits section just like the Nest key, but there are a couple unsung heroes or names that deserve further recognition.

• Everyone at Deca Games! To think the entirety of UGC came out of some simple experiments with the Toxic Sewers to prove it was worth investing in! Thanks to you guys enabling our insanity and tolerating our constant shenanigans, a completely infeasible dream of mine has come to life more spectacularly than I ever could have imagined. You guys are the best thing that has ever happened to RotMG period. Your genuine passion for the game and desire to improve is something we haven’t seen since the early WildShadow days.

• Krathan in particular for allowing our insane drop table to get the green light. I know the idea of releasing unreleased tiered items and a truckload of UTs seemed absurd (and it is), but I think it worked out very well in the end. Thank you for your admirable dedication to polishing, rebalancing, and back-end improvements. You are the beating heart of this game and deserve so much more recognition for time and work you put in, not to mention your remarkable productivity on weekends.

• Mrunibro for helping with design in the later half of development and being willing to take time away from the Nest to help us out as well. Having two hour long discussions about item and enemy balancing could have been very boring if it weren’t for your input and bee-related hijinks.

• Pentaract for putting together that incredible trailer! Your editing wizardry is unmatched in the RotMG community, and I would expect no less from the same madman who put together Realm of the Mad Month.

• Poshun, Dappertron, BLOODQWEN, Kingged, Beige, PostMorten and Lovens for your countless art contributions! I’m especially appreciative of those who joined as winners of the art contest and dove straight in to help make art. I hope to see more of your creations in the future!

• All of the closed testing team for your constant feedback and relentless group testing! I’m sure you all hate the color white after spending so much time in this dungeon, but your feedback was integral for ironing out bugs and optimizing enjoyment.

• Those who helped create the original document! Most of the people I worked with to make the Lost Halls dungeon idea are no longer active, but I still hold great appreciation for them. You can find all their names in the credits of the original document.

Hmm, but I feel like I’m forgetting someone…

Oh, well I suppose that Kiddforce guy did a couple things here and there.

• Kiddforce, I just had to get one last jab in! But in all seriousness, Kiddforce was the backbone of this entire project. He pushed through during the frustrating times, held everything together, regularly lost hours of sleep working overnight, went through the trouble of rebalancing practically everything at least twice, and was an absolute pleasure to work with. You have created the most ambitious, challenging, secretive and rewarding dungeon in this game’s history, and August 1st of 2017 now marks the single largest content update ever. Thank you for channeling your borderline sadism into this beast of a dungeon, especially the utter insanity of the Marble Colossus’s bullet hell action. Now please, get some sleep.

Well now, that was quite a mouthful! To be honest, I’m still in shock that this is even happening. This has been in development for months, but it never dawned on me that this is actually releasing. Let’s see if I can put a couple more words together. First of all, this dungeon has an event boss that spawns in the realm! Its red dot is visible on the minimap at all times, but it does not have a quest marker and isn’t required to close the realm. This is because the Lost Sentry is arguably the most threatening enemy that can spawn in the realm itself. Along with the Spectral Sentry constantly bordering the outer ring of the setpiece (and occasionally charging through it), you will need to have a keen awareness of your surroundings at all times. Since has no quest marker, you can still just ignore him if you want to get the realm closed. Be on the lookout!

So, this is a dungeon that has a lot of tricks up its sleeve, so there are still a lot of things I don’t want to reveal even now that the dungeon has released. But I think one of the biggest thoughts on people’s minds is the class targeting that was referenced in Records of the Lost Halls. Yes, it is indeed a thing. The effect is subtle and this does not mean they won’t target other classes. This purely effects their behavior, not attacks. Attacks are still directed at the closest person (or in some cases, the farthest person), this just determines their preferential movement. The classification goes as follows.

Group A: Knight, Warrior

Group B: Wizard, Archer, Assassin

Group C: Priest, Necromancer, Paladin

Group D: Huntress, Sorcerer, Mystic, Trickster

Group E: Rogue, Ninja

As you can see, the groups are divided into the general roles each class fills. Like the lore implied, the Golem of Anger (red golem) takes a particular disliking towards Group A, Knights and Warriors. Some enemies also have multiple groups set, so there are a lot of different combinations. I’m not going to disclose exactly which enemy does what, though. That’s up to you guys to discover. There are even a couple enemies that react to status effects, such as releasing a nova of shots upon being Slowed or running around in circles when Stunned, so be wise. Dragon, I’m counting on you to edit the wiki accordingly! :slight_smile:

But their complexity doesn’t stop there. Though you can try to plow through this dungeon with mindless shooting and possibly succeed to a certain extent, you will have a much safer and more efficient run with a coordinated team who understands enemy behaviors and can strategize well. Piercing weapons can potentially activate several enemy rages at once, so think twice before shooting that wand, bow, or katana. Certain enemies are more vulnerable when someone is within close range, while others show the most vulnerability when nobody is particularly close. Position your melees well! Without a doubt, these are some of the most dynamic enemies in the game, even if they may not seem it at face value. A couple months from now, there could be some extremely impressive runs by guilds who can bend the ins and outs of this dungeon to their favor.

However, no amount of DPS or memorization will keep you comfortable in the boss battle against the Marble Colossus. I don’t want to say too much about this guy for the sake of providing a raw bullet hell experience, but I will say that this encounter utilizes what we call Survival Phases. These are phases that focus purely on dodging and team management, as the boss is completely invulnerable during them. Rather than progressing after a certain damage threshold is met, these phases are on a timer, during which you must simply endure the brutal onslaught of projectiles. There are a couple of these peppered throughout the fight, so if you ever see the boss staying invincible for a length of time, you may want to shift your priority from attacking to self-preservation.

You will surely encounter some disheartening dead ends during your exploration of the dungeon, but not all is lost! Many dead ends feature a sort of treasure room in the form of destructible jars. These not only drop stat potions, but they also provide helpful consumables like tinctures, effusions and even every type of drake egg! You heard right, Liam!

There is so much more I want to say, but I think I’ve already typed far more than anybody really wants to read. The development of this dungeon has been an incredible journey. From the bottom of my heart, I sincerely hope you enjoy this dungeon. Now go get those new items! There’s more to this dungeon that meets the eye, you know.

Fact: Liking this post doubles your soulbound drop rates.

Meme Thread

<-New, versus old->

He does still have 10 billion guns*. He does still have a derpy face.
I couldn’t see the problem tbh with old one same as most every other time they reartwork something… hydra change is okay though.

I wondered if you’d remember to change that between Reddit and here. :smirk:

The acclaim got a resprite, do you like it?