Patch X.17.0 - The Tinkering

Hey everyone, Krathan here!

The honor to provide our patch notes to you has been bestowed upon me, now that Myzzrym has left us to pursue other opportunities. We wish him the very best and hope he can drop by some time to tell us tales of… his adventures? Lamborghini adventures.

No longer will I have to bother him because of last minute changes or because I spotted a typo somewhere too late. Now I get to make and hopefully correct ALL the typos myself!

Alright, so this time around there aren't really that many new topics.

Wait, what's that? I'm being told we actually have THREE? AGAIN?! Well, better get to it then...

Okay, I tried reaching Craig to help me with this, but it seems like he ended up in someone's Guild Hall again… that's alright, poor guy had enough on his plate with everyone trying to ruin his summoning rituals anyway. I can do this!

So, first things first, here are... things!

Patch Notes

The patch notes! Much needed and asked for Quality of Life additions and tons of fixes. So many in fact, that I felt the need to come up with categories! I am very excited to bring you these!

We fixed a few inconsistencies and issues that have been in the game for years, so we are aware that some of these might take some getting used to!

End of the Month of the Mad God

We hope you had fun and I swear we'll go easier on the moss next year! We appreciate all the feedback you had for us, keep it coming!

• The Oryx Horde has been deactivated and the statue is back in the Vault.
  • The Leprechaun has been deactivated.
  • Demon Blade and Doom Bow drop like they used to.
  • Moss, Stone, and Mad God tokens now have feed power values: 50 / 100 / 200, but do not drop anymore.
  • Teleportation in the Nest is back to beeing disabled.

Changes

• Loot Tier Potions no longer affect Potion drops: Health and Magic Pots no longer turn into Stat Pots, but Stat Pots also no longer turn into Wines.
  • Medusas drop Snake Pit instead of Abyss of Demons.
  • White Demons drop Abyss of Demons instead of Ice Cave.
  • Unbound Rings finally have their own descriptions.
  • Curse no longer soaks enemies in tomato sauce.

Quality of Life

• Disable Particles Master option: Disable all nonessential particles besides enemy and ally hits. Throw, Area and certain other effects will remain.
    • Other particle effects that aren't disabled: Pet abilities (Electric and Rising Fury), Lightning (Scepters), Ring (Traps), Vent (Ocean Trench), and Vortex (Void portal).
  • Disable Ally Notifications option: Disable text notifications above allies.
  • Disable Enemy Damage Text option: Disable damage from other players above enemies.
  • Disable Ally Damage Text option: Disable damage above allies.
  • Disable Players Hit Particles option now functions properly.
  • Items display temporary stat boosts in tooltips (Cocktails, Tinctures, Gumballs, etc.).
  • New command /classes, /class or /c to display how many players of each class there are in your area.

Fixes

• Client corrects enemies that turned invisible due to desync issues (healed on death, etc.).
  • Notifications no longer use queued text.
  • Items
    • Damage from Prism of Dire Instability, Ghostly Prism, Hivemaster Helm bees, Drakes, and all explosive consumables counts towards the user's soulbound damage.
    • Gravel no longer ignores invincibility and has a more accurate description.
    • Orange Drakes and Gravel no longer ignore Stasis Immunity.
    • Orange and Blue Drakes only zap enemies they can affect.
    • Pet food no longer implies that you can equip it and displays a better tip.
    • Fixed tooltips for ST items on leaderboards.
    • Fixed redundant information for Helm of Draconic Dominance.
    • Fixed an issue where consumables other than keys could not be used when under 10 stars.
    • Fixed an issue where certain items would not grant their intended Fame Bonus.
  • Abilities
    • Invincible and invisible enemies can no longer be (attempted to be) cursed.
    • Fixed Marble Pillar buffs not affecting cloaked Rogues.
    • Fixed green Mad Lab liquid uncloaking Rogues.
  • Enemies
    • Corrupted Armors will now spawn with their own tile to remove obstacles.
    • Fixed Swoll Fairy Boomerang range.
  • Lost Halls
    • Enemies now despawn if they are about to enter the closed boss room.
    • Spectral Sentry at the Encounter now despawns properly at the end of the fight even if stuck.
    • The Marble Colossus no longer leaves rocks alive and still spawns the void rift when killed too fast.
    • Marble Colossus Lasers should no longer desync.
    • Insta-killing Cultists no longer locks the fight.
  • Many Old XML Issues which will result in slightly different behaviors here and there, here are some noteworthy changes
    • Drakes: buffed ranges (like Wild Shadow initially intended!) except for White and Orange.
    • Gravestones: fixed level 1 and level 20 lifetimes.
    • Eye of the Avatar: fewer shots, but more and consistent damage.
    • Oryx Puppet: fixed stacked shots, fixed pattern arcs, increased shot ranges, and made the Artifact phase less pointless.
  • Aesthetic
    • Fixed the following Skins: Snow Queen, Blizzard Sorcerer, Slashing Beauty, Princess Warrior, and Stone Skin.
    • Fixed default Archer attack animation (hat and belt) and Limon sprite dirt.
    • Fixed various unnecessary spaces and improper punctuation in enemy dialogue.
    • Fixed extra spaces appearing in multi-lined chat messages.
    • Fixed various typos and small errors.

Tinkerer

The Tinkerer is back and has changed quite a lot: new UI, new features, new quests and a bunch of general improvements to the Daily Quest system!

Here are the main and most relevant changes with the new version:

• 5 quests refreshing every day are now available.
  • Quest list is randomized per user.
  • Quests can be completed in any order without the need to complete quest 1 to get quest 2.
  • Items required for the quests are now directly parsed and consumed from the inventory and backpack (goodbye, tedious drag and drop!).

For the quests themselves, as you will see, we have decided to put the focus on dungeon completion rather than the old system of requiring a random item to be turned in.

Most bosses in the game now drop their corresponding Mark (e.g. Mark of Septavius). Marks are a new soulbound and non-stackable quest item. They are guaranteed to drop from each boss and thus fairly common. We want to incentivize running dungeons for the quests rather than stockpiling Marks, but you can go for it if you're willing to sacrifice the space.

Collect the marks after defeating Oryx and his allies hiding in their dungeons and bring them back to the Tinkerer to obtain great rewards in exchange: Quest Chests and Epic Quest Chests.

• Quest Chests drop Stat Potions, tiered items and UTs from all dungeons in the Normal Quest pool.
  • Epic Quest Chests drop more and better Stat Potions, higher tiered items and UTs from all dungeons in the Epic Quest pool.

The first quests will become available tomorrow!

UGC - User Generated Content

Big news here as well, we are happy to announce the release of the Public RotMG XML Documentation!

It was about a year ago when we first started looking into UGC. Pioneered by Kiddforce and Sues with the Sewers and the Hive, we have come a long way since then. We are really humbled and impressed by the passion the community has always shown on Reddit, Realmeye and Discord when it comes to suggesting or designing content ideas for the game.

To take that creativity even further, we wanted to give you the means to breathe life into these concepts. Releasing the documentation and enabling XML enthusiasts is the first step we make in that direction.

For now it will only be the specifications. It covers the basics of how to make your own monster! Included are also more advanced topics, like Orders, Tags, Embeds, a list of all Behaviors, and more!

We are looking forward to see if this project picks up and if so, are fully ready to support content made by the Community for the Community.

So without much further ado, head here to visit the documentation!

Edit

Looks like you guys still have a bunch of questions, so I’ll answer some common ones!

• Yes, Snake Pits still drop from lesser Gods and the other highlands enemies just like before.
  • No, we don’t have a way for you to actually test your XML yet, but that is something we might invest in if the demand and amount of active XML creators rises! The next step for us is to make sure the documentation is up to date and easier to maintain.
  • No, we currently have no plans to make Marks stackable, but we will see if we can improve the system so you don’t have to hand in all of them at once. We’re going to look at the feedback and see how the feature performs very closely.
  • Loot tables for chests contain UTs and special loot (like dyes, skins, etc.) from all bosses in the dungeons of that quest pool, in addition to potions and tiered items.
    • Normal Quest Dungeon Pool: Snake Pit, Sprite World, Undead Lair, Abyss of Demons, The Sewers, Mad Lab, Puppet Master’s Theatre, Haunted Cemetery, Manor of the Immortals
    • Epic Quest Dungeon Pool: Ocean Trench, Tomb of the Ancients, The Shatters, Mountain Temple, Lair of Draconis, Crawling Depths, Deadwater Docks, Woodland Labyrinth, The Nest, Oryx Chamber (O1), Oryx Castle (Janus), Davy Jones’ Locker, Ice Cave
  • Encore, Shaitan, Candy Land and lower level dungeons will not be part of the pools for now.
  • Curse notifications above enemies not showing up was not intended and will be fixed.

Edit 2 - Hotfix 07-09-2017

We just pushed a hotfix adressing a few issues!

• Fixed Curse notifications not appearing for Orbs.
  • Fixed AoE damage text on player not showing when ally damage text is disabled.
  • Lowered damage thresholds in Oryx’s Castle and the Lair of Draconis.
  • Fixed Puppet Master spawning Archers and Rogues when he wasn’t intended to.
  • Oryx Puppet is now Armored instead of Invulnerable during the Artifact phase.
  • Fixed an issue where Marks would not drop for all players.
  • Fixed Puke Water spawner appearing as a bottle of rum.
  • Fixed a few descriptions for consistency.

Edit 3 - Hotfix 14-09-2017

• Fixed client side Stasis caused by Gravel.
  • Reduced Ancient Stone Sword drop rates to compensate for the damage threshold fix (don’t worry, it will still be much more fair to get than before).

No loot from quest chest?
No soulbound on prisms?
The rarity of plague poison
Does Prism of Dire Instability Count as SB Damage?
Trickster's Prism and Soul bound damage

Ty @Krathan

Damn that looks like a big patch! Must’ve been a helluva lotta work.

I love you guys, for working this much on a game with such a niche but great community.

These QoL changes are so nice, especially since a few seem to originate from these forums, which means that this place has been able to serve its purpose. Wanna thank all the @moderators for their work on here.

At least MotMG won’t end on an anticlimax!

#Polish

There is a lot of stuff going on here. So much, in fact, that some of the smallest things aren’t even mentioned in these patch notes. Those are:

Guardian of the Lost Lands: Range for LotLL protection is lower.

Piratess: Doubled shoot cooldown (it was a typo all along).

Ogres and Golems (the midlands ones): Movement behavior distances changed.

Hobbits and Elf Archers: Movement behavior distances changed.

Ivory Wyvern: One shot should be different.

Haunted Cemetery Deadly Mushrooms: They’ll grow more consistently and show their flashing animation before blowing up.

Puppet Archer: Arc gap slightly bigger for the slowing shots.

Shatters Portal: Appears much faster after killing the Avatar.

A lot of these are just very insignificant corrections to old typos. Most of them are so small that you probably won’t even notice them, but I figured they were worth mentioning for the sake of keeping the wiki accurate.

#Tinkerer

This is an exciting addition for sure. I call it an addition instead of a change because this is such a radically different approach to the Tinkerer that it’s hardly even comparable to the original. There’s a lot to sink your teeth into with this one, even featuring some quests that act as a minor crafting mechanic.

#User Generated Content

As Krathan explained, UGC has been going on for a full year now. This is a huge first step to opening real content creation to more than just an experimental group of testers. Now that accurate, up to date XML documentation is publicly available, it’s a prime time for all you creative types to start tinkering with the real deal. Making a big fancy document explaining your idea is one thing, but to actually put together a functional example of how your ideas could work brings you a whole lot closer to getting it into the game. We’re all really excited to see what comes out of this.

In-game graphic:

Example of the new “Mark” quest item:

Looted in a pit… from a medusa now ofc :-p

YOU ARE NOT @Mrunibro!

no…NO!!!

why did this happen

Um,I’m wandering about the Tinker Patch.
It states Quest Chests drop “UTs from all dungeons”.
Does that includes WHITES?!

Yes

Bee puns have spread like disease on the testing discord

i beelieve that statement to bee really stinging

NOOOOOOO

I enjoyed it, and I’m really happy with the outcome so far!

He might bee rubbing off on me. Oh no…

I know! It is a bit sad to see it go after such a long time, but I value consistency (and not breaking bosses) a lot! I might look into giving them a different status effect in the future.

rip black bullet shatters

Time to update the clock tower

no new condition effects or behaviors

:cry:

Aw, I always fancied having to drag and drop for the tinkerer. It made giving some randomly specific item to a wierd guy behind a table feel a little cooler and more special.

FUCK YEAHHHHHH

I hope the tokens have Tier levels. Like, some noob can’t just use a sprite world mark to get a jugg or Acclaim or something. Like the ot mark gets better chests than snake mark or something.

UTs from quest? QoL? This is madness! I’m curious how this’ll turn out, though

By the way, props to Shatters for creating the actual XML, especially for the clocktower. That stuff takes forever.

God wtf are the drop rates for the snake pit? I’ve been grinding godlands, not seen a single one.