Patch X.20.1 Oryxmas Eve

Hey everyone, Krathan here. We hope you enjoyed this winter so far!

Before we get started, I’d like to clear up some things about our recent server mishaps, specifically in Ice Tombs.

Firstly, I want to assure you that it did not leave us cold. You’re not alone in being frustrated and mad, we’re right there with you. Initially we intended to communicate with you about the issue more, but in the last few days we mostly focused on fixing those issues instead - hence why it has been somewhat silent from our end, sorry about that.

All dungeons now come with a default limit of 85 players. We also have a potential fix which might finally put an end to these so-called lag deaths, as primarily but not exclusively seen in the Lair of Draconis and Ice Tomb. Keep us updated if the issue still occurs!

Now, onward to more pleasant things!

Events

It is time. Craig’s preparations are finally done! His plethora of presents for the Mad God is finally ready. Oryxmas can finally truly begin! That is, if something doesn’t go wrong…

Meanwhile, a new presence has set their sight on the Realms… with the full intention to never let this winter end! Their minions already started taking over the Mountains!

Santa’s Workshop

Enter Craig’s secret location where all of Oryx’s gifts are stored. Destroy as many gift boxes as you can before the Present Protection Extraction protocol is activated! Be quick and loot smart as you’ll have 120 seconds before the gift boxes become invulnerable. The farther you go, the better the rewards are!

This exclusive solo dungeon can be entered using a special key in your vault. You’ll be able to get keys via Daily Quest, drops from event chests or mystery boxes.

Thanks to u/happy_cookie for her incredible work on the Santa’s Workshop.

Permafrost Lord

A new seasonal Encounter has arrived - the Permafrost Lord! In addition to Ice Shards and Primal Ice he has the following rare drops:

• Frost Citadel Armor
  • Frost Elementalist Robe
  • Frost Drake Hide Armor
  • Staff of Iceblast
  • Tome of Frigid Protection
  • Eternal Snowflake Wand

Grinch & Chest Events

A lot of Dungeons will be hosting Event Chests in the coming days: The Nest, Ocean Trench, The Shatters, Manor of the Immortals, Davy Jones’s Locker, Woodland Labyrinth, Mountain Temple, Ice Cave & Puppet Master’s Encore!

Check out the Events Calendar and we will be posting the details and loot tables on Reddit at the start of each event.

The Grinch also crashes into your dungeons to steal some of your Loot:

• The event will run from 12/14 until 01/05.
  • Dungeons: Undead Lair, Mad Lab, Toxic Sewers, Abyss of Demons, Puppet Master’s Theatre, Parasite Chambers and Snake Pit.
  • The Grinch will sometimes spawn after defeating the Boss of the Dungeon: hurry up before he escapes with your Loot through a portal!

Grinch’s Loot table:

• Santa Workshop Key
  • Festive Slurp Pet Stone
  • Christmas Tree Pet Stone
  • Mystery Stat Pot
  • Tokens
  • Oryxmas Consumables

And finally, the patch notes themselves!

Changes

• Lowered default player limit for Dungeons and Bazaars to 85 players.
  • Enabled teleportation in The Nest for the upcoming Chest Event.

Fixes

• PMs no longer bypass the star filter.
  • Fixed right-click chat player menu not functioning if player is on different instance - available options are Whisper, Block and Add Friend.
  • Fixed disconnection issue with using abilities while getting Quieted.

Quality of Life

• Optional Encounters have their own color on the minimap.
  • Pressing the Up Arrow in chat repeats the latest sent chat message.

Balancing

The rise of HP scaling! Oryx 1, Oryx 2, Davy Jones and most Encounters are the second wave of enemies to receive this treatment. Exceptions for now are the Avatar of the Forgotten King, Killer Bee Nest and the Lost Sentry.

• Lowered various UT and Stat Potion damage thresholds for Encounters further.

Oryx 1

• Base HP: 85000 -> 60000
  • EXP: 68 -> 10000 (5 Fame)

Oryx 2

• Base HP: 75000 -> 65000
  • EXP: 195 -> 20000 (10 Fame)

Davy Jones

• Base HP: 16000 -> 20000

Eye of the Dragon

• Base HP: 24000 -> 18000

Lord of the Lost Land

• Base HP: 70000 -> 60000

Grand Sphinx, Hermit God

• Base HP: 55000 -> 50000
  • Hermit Tentacles also scale.

Skull Shrine, Pumpkin Shrine, Cube God, Gobble God

• Base HP: 15000 -> 10000

Pentaract Tower

• Base HP: 8000 -> 5000

Bonegrind the Undead Butcher

• Base HP: 100000 -> 70000

Beach Bum

• Base HP: 1000 -> 20000

Ghost Ship

• Base HP: 66000 -> 50000

• HP: 500000 -> 450000

Killer Bee Nest

• HP: 100000 -> 80000
  • Nest Colony HP: 10000 -> 5000
  • Reduced Nest Colony Invulnerability duration.
  • Reduced Nest Colony amount of explosion projectiles

Oh my this was unexpected good job non the less

Woohoo! :confetti_ball:

This update looks great, thanks a bunch Deca!

We also have a potential fix which might finally put an end to these so-called lag deaths, as primarily but not exclusively seen in the Lair of Draconis and Ice Tomb.

Woo! It would be so great if this bug is finally squashed once and for all.

Fixed right-click chat player menu not functioning if player is on different instance - available options are Whisper, Block and Add Friend.

Despite how much fun the Permafrost Lord, Santa’s Workshop, and Grinch event all are, this might just be my favorite part of the update right here. Maaan I have missed this feature so much. Prepare to mute those whisper bots!

The rise of HP scaling!

And the great scaling has begun! Some of these old bosses and encounters might finally stand a fighting chance again! It’ll be so great to have all these bosses finally withstand overpowered groups for more than a millisecond.

WHOMST

Thanks deca <3

O shit time to farm out some permafrost lords.

Nice graphic:

Looking forward to the changes, they sound like positive moves.

Kinda will miss the ridiculous full dungeons but if they’re so full they break the game, sounds sensible.

I’m confused about HP scaling. The patch notes show most base HP amounts have decreased. I assume the actual amounts we’ll encounter may increase according to some conditions, such as # of players or something.

Could you clarify what’s going on there? Would it be possible to get some specific details on what those conditions are, or at least some sort of range? Something like “base = 10, max = 100”, for example.

i think it might be in range, although i’m not too sure. we had a 40 person realm and we still killed it in about ~30 seconds and there were only about 20 ppl at sphinx so the scaling may be for the area only.

I believe that’ll be the base amount that a soloer would face, so the reduced numbers mean if you do end up versus one of these encounters solo, it’ll now be less of a chore to kill than it was pre-X.20.1 (reworking some of the previous heavy-handed balancing, such as the Ship in X.15.0.0* receiving just a plain HP increase 42000->66000).

That’s how the HP scaling seems to work at castle guards and parasite den boss anyway.

you might not even need to, thanks to this

@Shatter

oh my god yes

Can someone get a pic of this

Don’t think we can get the keys till the next batch of daily quests

wah wah wah wahhh

How does the grinch work? so is he randomly in some of the lower level dungeons and he will steal ur loot if he isn’t killed in time? Or can he not be killed? Also, does he do damage or do u just kill him and have a chance at getting some of his drops? Lastly, it does not seem like there are any events for any of the easier dungeons like udl, lab etc is that correct?

do /event if you ever need to check

@CandyShi I got a key from a grinch, forgot to take a picture of it sorry owo

Yep, all the bosses and Encounters that use HP scaling can now end up with several times their base HP, depending on the amount of players in the instance.

1. yeah he’s random
  2. you have to kill him fast enough or he’ll just leave and you get 0 (I soloed a lab)

found one
he shoots lots of debuffs