Pet Dyes

once again it seems I’ve magically disappeared again, largely due to technical difficulties. my projects have basically been ignored for days because my computer is utter scrap, but here’s something I thought of while I wait for an opportunity to resume being me:

PET STONES

yeah those things, they were supposed to be a “new level of pet customization” or whatever, but what I’ve noticed is that by presenting them in such a way that they’re intrinsically “better” than normal pet skins, they’ve counter-intuitively made nearly everyone’s pets look EXACTLY THE SAME.

how disappointing. ironically the way to have the most unique pet possible at this point is exactly the same way it was before, get a regular divine pet (although even default rares are becoming, well, “rare”). so I came with an alternative:

it’s extremely simple really, you get to put cloths/dyes on pets now!

those do wonders for making everyone using the same class skin look unique, so why not apply the same principle to pets? due to most pets being super small and largely one color, large/small dyes have identical effects on pets, meaning that they only have one dying map (one dye per pet unlike 2 per character). when you use a dye, you get to choose whether you want it on the pet, or on yourself. it’s consumed either way, but now you can finally make your geb artifact pet look different from all the others!

since pets never die, their dyes are permanent. this raises a small issue for those who would like to have a non-dyed pet after a while. solution: Clear Dyes! these are exactly like normal dyes, but when used they remove whatever dye was there before. these can also be used on players just like normal dyes.

alternatively to all this confusion of using dyes on two things at once, pet dyes can be released as an entirely separate item from normal dyes, whichever works out better.

samples:
pet dye item:

clear dyes:

geb artifact + red dragon scales =

(actually would look like this:)

redbot + spring green dye =

landfish + purple dye =

red karate penguin + yellow green dye =

sir bagston + slate gray dye =

penguin tank + medium blue dye =

nut artifact + white dye =

I’ll probably make more samples later.

Best of the Best Nominations - December 2017
[Forum Game] Paste whatever's on your clipboard!
Dyes and cloths for pet?

I really like the idea since Im kinda fashion with my char and I want it to look cool and unique :3 and now I can do that with my pet too :DD
You won a diamond Glawi coin :3 (Yes, this is how I’m going to rate ideas from now on x3) All hail the pacman :v embrace it >:3 ok I’m done x3

Simple enough ans useful. I can’t think of a reason as to why not.

This is so simple, yet so intriguing. I’d definitely make my Snowy Owl look like the Divine Solar Owl with some Shaitan Cloths given the chance.
Additionally, this wouldn’t be too difficult to implement, as dye masks would be the only things necessary for the pets (and a bit of extra coding, I suppose).
The dye examples really help to sell the idea, btw.

I’d rate this 7/10. It’s a great idea!

I’ll never look at @Shatter the same again

added some more examples, and additionally found a possible issue:

most cloths have a 5 pixel pattern per “game” pixel, but all pet’s “game” pixels take up 3-4 pixels only (that’s why pets are smaller than you). so cloths don’t fit on them :
you may have noticed that the geb artifact image is bigger than the redbot, which isn’t normally true. forcing the 5 pixel pattern in to the 4 pixels in each space yields this:

so either everyone will just have to deal with it or pets only get dyes :\

Would you be that guy who dyed his colored penguin to be a different color

Great idea, I would really like to see this in game. It certainly would make pets far more unique and add some more variety to the pets.
But Xaklor, please take like an extra minute just to capitalize the start of every sentence, I just really hate how it looks without it :c

added more stuff, also

I understand that concern, but you realize you’re asking me to overhaul my entire writing style just to conform to your standards, right? I don’t even know you, other than as “they guy who keeps asking me to fix my capitalization and punctuation”.

I think you’re just going to have to deal with it sweetie :wink:

I dyed the whole Aquatic Family for you, I would have used cloths, but I have no idea how you darkened them like you did on the Geb artifact, I’ll probably do the rest of the families when I have time for it. :smiley:

There wasn’t a reason to dye the second snail and frog, as it would have the same result.

Snail: Indigo
Crab: Lime Green
Frog: Dark Red
Sea Slurp: Light Cyan
Turtle: Medium Orchid

Demon Frog: Orange
Pep Snail: Yellow Green

Blue Landfish: Green
Golden Crab: Snow
Great Shark: Red

i love the bagston

This is just too damn good…

Most of the colors should work, but since they have a smaller pixel template and so, cloths may or may not work. Other than that, it’s simple, it’s effective, it’s seeable in realm

I rate 4.5/5 Praise The Suns
\[T]/ \[T]/ \[T]/ \[T]/ \[T

I’m done with the second batch of pets dyes, this time it’s the Automaton family!

Helmbot: Yellow
Robobuddy: Dark Turquoise

Funkatron: Light Green
Red Bot: Navy

Cylindron: Orange Red
Gutsbot: Forest Green
Spiderbot: Indigo

I’ll probably just be editing this post when I do the other families, the ??? family is gonna be a real pain since there are about 50 pet skins in that family.

I don’t think putting the same dye mask over different base colors is a good idea:

the body/legs are blue, but the arms are purple. something to keep in mind if you want to keep doing this for me (which I don’t mind at all :slight_smile: )

Well, I had to stick to the same color for the dye, so I used the darker colors of the dye to try and make it look notably different.

I wasn’t even giving that too much thought to be honest, any suggestions on what I could do other than my attempted solution?

well I was thinking you can just leave the purple arms alone, just like the landfish horns and the funkatron shoulders. pick the “main” color on the pet and just leave the rest as it is, kind of like how a classic wizard’s staff and belt will never change color.

for example:

panda spots should stay the same regardless of dye

war elephant’s saddle(?) and headdress should stay the same

battle god’s hair and pants should stay the same
etc.

stuff like that.

Well leaving specific parts of some pets alone from the dyes was something that I was doing, note the snails, the Landfish, the bottom half of Robobuddy, Funkatron’s shoulders as you mentioned, and the head of the Spiderbot, I just didn’t consider Cylindron’s arms as something to ignore dye wise.

Perhaps these parts that get ignored by the dyes could be the parts that get effected by the smaller dyes?
So if you have a small black dye and a large green dye, and use them both on a snail, you have a green snail with a black shell, how do you feel about that?

I considered the posiblity of large/small pet dyes in combination, and addressed that here:

because I don’t really see multiple dyes working out on things like these:

and in this case, if it can’t work on all of them, then you can’t really do it for any of them.

Perhaps it could be made so that certain pets are affected differently by the large and the small dyes, but on pets where a second color to dye wouldn’t be necessary, using the small dye wouldn’t have an effect, it wouldn’t even be consumed, like using an exp booster at level 20, it’s just poofs back into your inventory.

Now obviously this would most likely be very complicated to code, having certain pets react to dyes dependent on the size, but the literal headline for the Ideas section is:
" A place for you and other players to imagine what the game could be. "

And according to spongebob, imagination is a pretty good thing.

Yeah, I guess since we have “Character Skins”, “Character Cloths and Dyes” and “Pet Skins”, the next logical step would be “Pet Dyes”.

A very simple idea but a very effective one. And I do like your designs.