Pet Stasis and the Necromancer's Skull

At first glance the status effect “Pet Stasis” and the Necromancer class do not seem to hold much direct relation to each other.
After I explain a few thoughts or ideas I’ve forged, scavenged, and modified it will be clear what I mean.

(I know that we are supposed to avoid the idea of nerfing pets, but this is a constructive idea.)

Pets are the only thing a player retains after death, to cherish your pet is normal. You want it to be powerful, but it seems that they are TOO powerful for a free to play game. (Due to the currency spent on powering up pets.)

The pet’s abilities should NOT be nerfed directly, that would be an insult to all that have spent money on their pet. (It would also cause an outrage.)
To simply put it, Realm of the Mad God needs to utilize the debuff, Pet Stasis. It is already a feature of the game that can be used without changing much. Pet Stasis doesn’t harm new players in learning the ropes of the game, it just adds a larger obstacle for more experienced players.
New monsters and old monsters need to be able to inflict this status condition to limit the powerful pets.

Here is a list of some monsters that could benefit from obtaining the ability to cause Pet Stasis.
Flying Brain (Godlands)
Lizard God (Highlands)
Demon Mage of the Abyss (Abyss of Demons) - Plausible
Coffin (Manor of Immortals)
Apparition (Haunted Cemetery)
Hard Candy (Candy Land)
Spilled Icecream (Candy Land)
Lair Ghost Bat (Undead Lair)
Liquid Evil (Green environmental hazard in the Mad Lab’s confuse room) - Plausible
Native Magic Sprite (Sprite World)

These are only several monsters that could benefit from Pet Stasis, others could use it too, but harder dungeons such as the Shatters don’t really need Pet Stasising in them.

Also, as a bonus before I move on to the Necromancer I wanted to mention this as well.
The Native Ice Sprite shares the attributes of the other Native Sprites such as low health, high speed, and minimal damage output, but it inflicts the slow condition.
As a side suggestion I wanted to list off the other Native Sprites and what status effect they could wield.
Darkness Sprite: Darkness (I like this one particularly because it can introduce newer players to this debuff before they encounter the Shatters.) - Plausible (It could be Blind instead or just have a low debuff duration)
Nature Sprite: Daze - Plausible
Fire Sprite: None (The Fire Sprite is fine as it is because it is more damage oriented than the others.)

Now onto the Necromancer.
Necromancer is known for its usefulness in the early game, but in the end game scenarios such as O2 or Shatters it drastically loses it’s effectiveness. (Compared to all of the other classes.)
Pets made Necromancer a less viable choice as it did with all healing classes, but with this change Necromancer will find more use.
Even then, the Necromancer isn’t too useful in specifically the end game areas due to his ability. (Higher defense means less heals.) Others have suggested to increase his damage or allow him to inflict curse, but the thing is…
Necromancer isn’t meant to be a DPS class. He is supposed to be played as a healing class with a different playstyle.
As a Necromancer you want to conserve your mana for when you need it, not use it for inflicting damage, so that isn’t a good solution.

I saw this idea somewhere, but unfortunately lost the original post. (I’ll add a link to it if I do find it.)
Shields and Helms increase defense, cloaks increase speed, and quivers increase dexterity.
Skulls could increase the max HP of the player (Similar to Ogmur) by an increment of 10 per tier.
With 0 hp bonus from a T0 skull and 60 hp bonus from a T6 skull the Necromancer would be more balanced.

The skull piercing armor was mentioned, but that is a DPS oriented solution. (And a little too much anyway.)
Extra HP is something a Necromancer can really use due to the potential of his ability, and it helps in late game survivability. (This also increases the value of the T6 Skull as 2 vit & wis isn’t worth the extra cash, other classes need a better T6 too, but that is a completely different topic.)
This makes sense as the skull is the Necromancer’s source of life.

The UT skulls could increase HP as shown below.
Cracked Crystal Skull: +50
Skull of Endless Torment: +40
Skullish Remains of Esben: +40

I know this was more of a “Two in One” kind of post, but these two ideas share the same goal.
Balancing the game.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated if you feel it is needed somewhere in this post.

Patch X.16.0 - Month of the MAD GOD & Lost Halls
Simple buff for Necro
Necromancer should be buffed [?]

I would be all for giving more enemies pet stasis, it’s one of many ways to indirectly nerf pets while still keeping people who paid lots of money for them happy.

oh boy, another pet related thread. and what’s this? i’ve heard this idea before as well. I should ignore posts with the word “pet” in their title.

No matter how much sugarcoating you put on it, this is a “nerf pets” thread, and the idea is beaten to death. let deca figure it out please.

Sheesh, do you get paid for being a jerk? This technically isn’t a nerf to pets anyways, it’s Utilizing a game feature that is not used enough similarly to the darkness and daze effect. (QoT)

If you wanna label it label it as an indirect nerf because that is what it is.

I like this one, he makes me laugh. :laughing:

I don’t care if it goes against some rule or if my view on it makes me look evil, but I DO think it’s best if we just let deca figure it out. Because there has to be a million ways to deal with pets and everyone is gonna think theirs is the most balanced or most effective. (except for trolls, no one knows why they do the things they do)

But they own the game, so it’s their choice to make unless they ask for opinions.

I agree, we should just let Deca sort it out. Though, this section of the forum is meant for ideas that the poster believes would provide benefits to the game. You post your own ideas in fact. I respect that and I do agree with parts of your suggestions, but you need to understand that you are being a hypocrite. I post because I want to shed light on ideas that may have not been noticed if possible, I want to actually help improve this game, and I’m sure you do too. I don’t believe my ideas to be the best, but I do believe they deserve respect like all of the suggestions on this forum.

Now, we are getting off topic. If you want to continue this I suggest you message me.

Poll: your stance on pets

Good Idea. As a player who’s spent money on a pet myself and owns a fairly overpowered pet, this is a good alternative.

Im just going to give my own, personal opinion on each monster you suggested.

Yes

Yes

No, this dungeon is good the way it is…plus it would make it much more difficult and slow for players to rush, which most people don’t want.

Yes[quote=“JawsJakt, post:1, topic:913”]
Possessed Child (Haunted Cemetery)
[/quote]

No, they already deal a fair amount of shotgun damage.

Sure

No, there is already an armour breaker in there which can deal some serious damage if caught off guard

Not really a hard dungeon anyways, so sure.

One is enough don’t you think?

Even though these bats could use a buff, I would say unstable is more like it.

Ehh, this liquid already inflicts a few debuffs

Won’t do much but sure xD

I agree with the necro skull buffs, as I’ve created an UT skull idea myself and think the necro needs a rework.

Did you mean to say the unstable effect and not daze?

Thanks for your input. I was listing off a few lower tier monsters that could use a buff, but I do want to explain the idea for three monsters. The two monsters in Candyland, my idea there was that your pet is distracted because there is something actually edible that they can consume, and for the Abyss I wanted enough time for electric to fail and give a rusher more to think about. (I believe the Demon Mage of the Abyss should do less damage in addition to inflicting that effect and it should last half of a second.) I’ll add a plausible tag because I think it’s an unnecessary addition too.

Liquid Evil is the liquid similar to lava, it isn’t the light green hex/speedy/stun inflicting liquid.

In the Undead Lair, both the bats could use something. The ghost bat could inflict Pet Stasis while the brown bat inflicts unstable. (Though, as you said, unstable is the best alternative available.)

Also, I should mention that somehow I managed to get the Apparition confused with the Possessed child and classic ghost without thinking about it.

I was referring to the fact that darkness is only used in shatters and daze is only used by players with QoT. (Not the daze effect on players, but used by players.)

Oh, I see. It was my misinterpretation. Thank you, for clearing that up.

Darkness in a sprite world would just be really, really annoying… Pet statis and the like in there as well wouldn’t make any notable difference. You’d just be making the game harder for those new 0/8s trying to max dex. They’re not the type of crowd you need to make the game harder for. Focus more on end game dungeons :slight_smile: (Tomb probably needs some pet statis but I’m now sure how you could integrate that well)

The Ice Sprite and Limon’s first phase are both really annoying so I decided to try and transfer the annoying factor. It’d just give more reasons to dodge the bullets in a game meant for bullet dodging.

I only have minor experience with the later dungeons, that’s why I don’t have much there for it. (I’ve completed a shatters only once, but I’ve been past second boss plenty of times.) Any dungeons you get insta-popped easily in don’t really need pet stasis in my opinion, and I don’t have a divine pet so I’m really hoping for some insight from a more experienced person.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.