Phalanx Class

Welcome, To the class design spotlight.
Featuring: The phalanx.
The phalanx is a powerful tank/support class that stays in the front line, separating the enemies of its allies uses its powerful halberds to push back the foes.

Me: Hello guys, my name is sefhirmon. For a long time I have thought about many classes that could benefit the game, I mean classes that fit perfectly in the game environment or that are necessary in some way.
One of them, would be the phalanx.
Within the mechanics of the game, There cases have been seen as the knight who uses stun, the paladin that uses seals.
I mean, Melee classes that doesnā€™t fit in the ā€œFighter/Tankā€ Role.
But in itself has never seen a kind of warrior that has a role to play OBLIGATORY in the front line, this is where I came up with this class.
The phalanx.
The role of the phalanx is to defend its allies, with its ability this class will prevent enemies from approaching carrys or low defense classes.

DESIGN:
I have not yet chosen a basic design, I have among these options
I have several more, but these are the ones that adapt more to the concept.

Skin: Swimsuit Phalanx
Oh yeah boi

This is a gameplay example:

SKILL:

The Phalanx skill: HALBERD!

• Mechanic: The halberd is a concept that I had thought for some time.
    What is needed in a game in which more than anything is ranged?
    A class that maintains that range between enemies and allies.
    And thatā€™s where this skill comes from.

• Explanation: The skill is quite simple, As long as you keep the spacebar pressed, the phalanx starts charging a powerful thrust, Reducing his movement speed.
    After releasing the skill the phalanx slides forward, Pushing all the enemies that are in front of him to the back.
    If the space bar is held down, the rush and thrust will be increased until it reaches its limit.

Probably the skill sounds something broken, but it is not.
As I said before, the phalanx is under the need to load the skill after releasing it to make worth, making it a very damaging counter.
Now, letā€™s go to the question of the million.

What is the benefit of the game with this skill?
Iā€™ve been playing this game since 2011, almost since the beta.
And always, I realized that the game never had a pure melee class.
All classes that use swords are also under the obligation to flank. * Attack from range*
And the truth is: thatā€™s depressing.
I had in mind a class that really was melee, with a fairly short range but with strength and endurance to stay in battle.

Think about it for a moment. You has a knight, have never approached a boss or a strong god more than 3 tiles of range, or have faced him.
Why does it happen? Because the mechanics of the game, is more than to be shots instead of close combat. (Including melee)
But, from my point of view as a player of several RPGā€™S, this class would change the role of the game a lot, since it would be taking a variety of different playstyles

Pro tip: The phalanx itā€™s unlocked after reaching level 20 With warrior and Knight.

TIPS

These are some questions that I know you will ask, so I gave myself the trouble to answer them.

1. Thatā€™s bulls****, What If he pushes septa or malphas againsā€™t a 0/8 mage?! He will die
    R: Phalanx cannot push back bosses or raids, Only big/medium/summoned/normal/gods mobs.
  2. This class itā€™s usefull and all, but thereā€™s some bosses that can instakill you if you go to close. (Avatar)
    R: Thatā€™s why i maded diffent halberds, For give armored status, Push back enemies, Farm.
    Plus, i give him a lot of defense, vit and hp base stats. Wihout exceding
  3. That class sounds troll af, I easy could push a strong mob to the teleport point! Where you appear after entering in a realm
    R: Thereā€™s an algoritm in the game that denies some godlands or heavy bosses from leave their area. Ej: If a djin god gets to far from his respawn point, he will get teleported.
  4. Sounds a little Overpowered, I mean you easily only will need to farm 3 items instead of 4!
    R: Could give halberds low drop rate, to make them more Hard/Dificult to farm.

STATS:
These are the curret stats of the phalanx:

HP
Starting: 200
Gain/Level: 20 to 30
Average at 20: 780
Base Stat Cap: 820

MP
Starting: 90
Gain/Level: 2 to 8
Average at 20: 185
Base Stat Cap: 245

ATACK
Starting: 15
Gain/Level : 1 to 2
Average at 20: 25
Base Stat Cap: 55

DEFENSE
Starting : 0
Gain/Level : 0
Average at 20: 0
Base Stat Cap: 30

SPEED
Starting: 7
Gain/Level: 0 to 1
Average at 20: 20
Base Stat Cap: 35

DEXTERITY
Starting: 10
Gain/Level: 0 to 2
Average at 20: 24
Base Stat Cap: 45

VITALITY
Starting: 10
Gain/Level: 1 to 2
Average at 20: 39
Base Stat Cap: 85

WISDOM
Starting: 7
Gain/Level: 0 to 2
Average at 20: 28
Base Stat Cap: 60

The statistics were somewhat designed to make it a tank, even though they are not yet resolved. These are just examples.
I gave him more life and defense * No more than the knight/Paladin * Bases so he can stay up front, since it is a class of little range.

EQUIPMENT

The phalanx uses the next:
Main Weapon: Halberd
Ability : Halberd *Explained More Below
Armour: Heavy
Accesory: Ring

Another question that you must be asking yourself.
MAIN WEAPON AND SKILL AT THE SAME TIME?
Yes, Although the truth is that this concept is not yet finished, but it is my main idea.
When you equip a halberd, it occupies both spaces of the equipment. Main weapon And ability.
And it grants different functions in both.

Woodbranch Polearm

A simple polearm maded from hard wood.
Tier: 0 (Starting)
Mp Cost: 60
Damage (Weapon): 75 - 125
Damage (Skill): Min: 75 / Max: 150
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1 / Max: 2
Rate of fire: 65%
Projectile Speed: 10
Range: 1

Iron Polearm

A hard polearm maded with forged iron.
Tier: 1
Mp Cost: 65
Damage (Weapon): 105 - 155
Damage (Skill): Min: 95 / Max: 190
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.1 / Max: 2.2

Steel Polearm

A sharper polearm maded with strong steel, May not cut you!
Tier: 2
Mp Cost: 70
Damage (Weapon): 135 - 185
Damage (Skill): Min: 100 / Max: 200
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.2 / Max: 2.4

Bronce Polearm

Strong heavy polearm maded with bronce, The elo of the masters!
Tier: 3
Mp Cost: 80
Damage (Weapon): 165 - 205
Damage (Skill): Min: 110 / Max: 220
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.25 / Max: 2.5
Stat Bonus: + 1 ATT

Zoa Halberd

A shapeshifter halberd, use it if you have the strenght!
Tier: 4
Mp Cost: 90
Damage (Weapon): 195 - 235
Damage (Skill): Min: 120 / Max: 240
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.3 / Max: 2.6
Stat Bonus: + 1 ATT

Silver Halberd

Created only with the best of silvers!
Tier: 5
Mp Cost: 100
Damage (Weapon): 225 - 265
Damage (Skill): Min: 130 / Max: 260
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.4 / Max: 2.8
Stat Bonus: +2 ATT

Golden Halberd

A powerfull halberd of pure gold!
Tier: 6
Mp Cost: 110
Damage (Weapon): 255 - 295
Damage (Skill): Min: 135 / Max: 270
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.45 / Max: 2.9
Stat Bonus: +2 ATT

Naginata

ćŖ恎ćŖ恟, č–™åˆ€!
Tier: 7
Mp Cost: 115
Damage (Weapon): 100 - 400
Damage (Skill): Min: 100 / Max: 360
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.5 / Max: 3
Rate of fire: 70%
Stat Bonus: + 3 ATT

Fire Halberd

A fiery halberd capable of burn flesh and bones, Malphas will be proud of you!
Tier: 8
You are the trully hero of the godlands!
Mp Cost: 120
Damage (Weapon): 315 - 355
Damage (Skill): Min: 150 / Max: 300
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.55 / Max: 3.1
Stat Bonus: + 3 ATT

King Halberd

A halberd used by the past kings, Shall you!
Tier: 9
Mp Cost: 125
Damage (Weapon): 345 - 385
Damage (Skill): Min: 175 / Max: 330
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.6 / Max: 3.2
Stat Bonus: + 4 ATT

Paragon Halberd

You are a trully legend of the realm!
Tier: 10
Mp Cost: 130
Damage (Weapon): 375 - 415
Damage (Skill): Min: 170 / Max: 340
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.65 / Max: 3.3
Range: 1.1
Stat Bonus: + 4 ATT

Rune Halberd

A mistery halberd, Forged by the power of some mistery runes, Feel the inner power child.
Tier: 11
Mp Cost: 135
Damage (Weapon): 405 - 445
Damage (Skill): Min: 190 / Max: 380
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.7 / Max: 3.4
Stat Bonus: + 4 ATT + 1 DEF

Adamantium Halberd

No one even lived to see the power of this halberd.
Tier: 12
Mp Cost: 140
Damage (Weapon): 435 - 475
Damage (Skill): Min: 200 / Max: 400
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.75 / Max: 3.5
Armored Status: Min: 0.7 / Max: 1.4
Stat Bonus: + 5 ATT + 1 DEF

Giga Halberd

You have reached your own limits by wielding this insane halberd!
Tier: 13
Damage (Weapon): 455 - 495
Damage (Skill) Min: 210 / Max: 420
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.8 / Max: 3.6
Armored Status: Min: 0.75 / Max: 1.5
Stat Bonus: + 5 ATT + 2 DEF

Conquest Pride

You have probed all your strenght, This halberd itā€™s your reward.
Tier: UT
Damage (Weapon): 510 - 550
Damage (Skill): Min : 250 / Max: 500
Range of Push: Min: 1.9 / Max: 3.8
Increases Health By 300 (+ Vit*2) For 1(+Vit/30) secs.
Pushes Around.
Fame Bonus: 6%
Stat Bonus: + 85 HP + 3 ATT
Droped By: The Forgotten Sentinel

Candy Halberd

Mmmm! Sugar!
Damage (Weapon): 180 - 220
Shots: 2
Damage (Skill): Min: 160 / Max: 320
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.9 / Max: 3.8
Rate of fire: 75%
Projectile Speed: 9
Range: 2
Fame Bonus: 4%
Stat Bonus: + 5 ATT
Dropped By: Gigarcorn

Unpowered Crystal Halberd

Seems A little worn out.
Mp Cost: 65
Damage (Weapon): 100 - 150
Damage (Skill): Min: 95 / Max: 190
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1 / Max: 2
Dropped By: Crystal Prisoner

Released Crystal Halberd

Crystal Release!
Mp Cost: 165
Damage (Weapon): 300 - 350
Damage (Skill): Min: 190 / Max: 380
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 2 / Max: 4
Range: 1.5
Stat Bonus: + 3 ATT + 3 DEF + 30 HP + 30 MP
Dropped By: Crystal Prisoner

Dread Scythe (Censored by death)

Spooky!
Mp Cost: 200
Damage (Weapon): 10 - 990
Damage (Skill): Min: 100 / Max: 1000
Does not Push.
Rate of fire: 50%
Projectile Speed: 5
Range: 2
Stat Bonus: + 7 ATT - 7 DEF
Dropped By: Ghost Of Skuld

Revolting Sharp

Dont touch me if you wear this!
Damage (Weapon): 195 - 425
Damage (Skill): Min: 150 / Max: 350
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.9 / Max: 3.8
Applies slow status to hitted units for 3 sec.
Projectile Speed: 8
Stat Bonus: + 5 ATT - 7 SPD + 3 DEF
Dropped By: Gulpord the Slime God

Frost Wrath

Lets be honest, All rpgā€™s needs to have a frosty weapon
Mp Cost: 160
Damage (Weapon): 440 - 490
Damage (Skill) Min: 250 / Max: 500
Range of Trust/Push: Min: 1.75 / Max: 3.5
Amored Status: Min: 1.2 Sec / Max: 2.4 Sec
Projectile Speed: 15
Range: 1.5
Stat Bonus: + 5 DEF + 5 ATT - 7 SPD
Dropped By: Esben the Unwilling

CONCLUTION
So far this is all I have done, I thank those who read everything, Feel free to comment and give your opinion and / or critics.
Hope all enjoy it!

The Seeker by JohnMH

:thinking:
First of all this has nothing to do with a phalanx. If you werenā€™t aware, a phalanx is a group of people, not just one person. The most famous example were the greek hoplite phalanxes, which then again wouldnt make since as to why they would carry a halberd, something that was used in the middle ages.
Skill is useless, and having the same weapon and ability doesnā€™t make sense.
No stats, gear, sprites, or whatever. You should probably do more research before presenting a class idea.

So either this is an alt of yours, or youā€™re pretty bad at the game

Move this to work in progress

Lol why did u repeat that?

The name is under construction too, ā€œPhalanxā€ Was my first option, since itā€™s a rectangular mass military formation, usually composed entirely of heavy infantry armed with spears or halberds Thatā€™s where the name comes from
Another names was: Panzer, Guardian. Bu these are a lil poor to me.

Seeing as youā€™re using different long weapons, spearman or halberdier?

Although knock back would be an interesting concept I doubt the games code would allow movement of a entity with a characters ability. (Rotmg is too simple for that ;-:wink: Cool idea though just need to flesh it out a bit more

Knockback can get people killed. Letā€™s put your class in a UDL, fighting against Septavius. What will stop him from pushing Septavius into that 0/8 wizard standing over there? What would stop him from pushing Biff into that mass of players, or pushing the Forgotten King closer to the group, putting it in hardmode?

Knockback wouldnā€™t be possible to implement in this game because of its immense trolling capabilities. Unless the class was unable to push enemies towards other players, I would never want to play alongside this class. And, even so, some bosses, like the Forgotten Sentinel and the Avatar, would need to be knockback immune. The ability would be extremely limited. I could only see it being used in a Lost Halls to knock back certain minions.

Also, no class can fit the ā€œpure melee classā€ description that you want. Bosses which have the capacity to instakill can typically do well over 1,000 damage per shotgun, meaning that even this guy would die to one. Unless you were to give him an absurd amount of health (and possibly vitality to sustain that health pool), he will always be in the same danger as any other melee class.

Phalanx CANNOT push back bosses/Raids.
Example: If u try to push back septa you only will deal him damage.
Plus, Youā€™r right, Many bosses are capable of instakill, thatā€™s true.
Thatā€™s why I gave him a lot of life, Defense and vitality. * Without exceeding *
To give more stability when it comes to tanking these bosses.
Also, as I said at the beginning.
This is a class specifically to keep mobs away from your allies.
Not to get in front of a boss.
Anyway, Iā€™m still making the equip, Iā€™ll give some the armored skill.

Design:

Iā€™ll treat the top three on the right as 2, 3, and 4, then the bottom three as 5, 6, and 7.

1. Very sleek, but thereā€™s too many shades for a base design.
  2. Still a bit too many shades, but definitely going in the right direction. The brown of the hair should be different from the halberd handle.
  3. Holy Jesus thereā€™s a lot of shades, but itā€™s very nice. Reduce a shade or two and thatā€™s my nominee.
  4. Looks like an Assassin mixed with a Trickster with a weird sword.
  5. Looks like an Assassin mixed with a Trickster with a red cap mixed with a Warrior that has a weird sword.
  6. The exact same as the firstā€¦
  7. Uhā€¦ whatā€™s with those shades? MY EYES!

Swimsuit Phalanx:
The hair makes this 9x8. Move the bow and hair inward.

Overall Complaint:
All of these are not 8x8. These are 9x8. Flip the halberd inwards so itā€™s 8x8, then itā€™s better. (Except Swimsuit, which I explained already.)

Stats

Health:

• Thatā€™s a whole lot of Health. Keep it to 20 - 30 per level, as to not make it out of balance with every other class in the game. (Average at Level 20 will be 725.) Change Stat Cap to 870.

Magic:

• 75 Starting MP is not advised. Neither is a lower cap. Iā€™d change the entire Magic stat to match that of all other non-mage class.

Attack:

• Far too much starting Attack, change this to 15. The Average at Level 20 should be 40 or so, and the cap should be 60.

Defense:

• Adding Defense gain per level is very unadvised. Make the Stat Cap 30.

Speed:

• Change the starting Speed to 7, and change the Level 20 average to 27. Make the Max Speed 40.

Dexterity:

• Change the starting Dexterity to 10, and change the Level 20 average to 29. Max Dexterity is fine as is.

Vitality:

• 16 is such an odd starting numberā€¦ I advise 15. The average per level should remain 1 - 2 like all other melees, and the Level 20 average would be 39 like the others. Make the Stat Cap 75.

Wisdom:

• Keep this part the same as all the other classes that have 50 Wisdom: 10 Starting, 0 - 2 per level, 29 Avg, 50 Cap.

Doing these will keep the class as a tank while making it feel more like it belongs in Realm.

Equipment:

Iā€™ll admit, this is a very interesting concept for a weapon and ability, but I believe that we donā€™t need any more Weapon typesā€¦ we have an entire class with its own weapons as is. Keep the halberds as abilities and give it a Sword.

Tiered:
Donā€™t add a lower Rate of Fire when theyā€™re tiered weapons, unless itā€™s specific like the Obsidian Dagger. Simply lower the damage to match, if youā€™re keeping the weapon part of the halberd. If youā€™re switching to just the ability part, the concept is very good, but it should have far more damage and a set push value of maybe 1.5 - 2. If itā€™s pure melee, it should do massive damage and have a Cooldown of maybe 2. The Range should be 2.4.
Alsoā€¦ NOT 8X8 REEEEEEE

(Iā€™m going to talk from now on as if you will use them as only abilities.)

Conquest Pride:
FAR too much Health increase, and no MP Cost is shown. Iā€™d make this 225 HP with no Vit modifier for 3 Seconds, making the damage lower but having the push distance be 2.4 - 3. Reduce the Stat Bonus to 85 HP and 4 Att. MP Cost should be 150 and have a 2.5 Second Cooldown. Make the Range 1.9. And again, not 8x8.

Candy Halberd:
You list the amount of shots, but whatā€™s the spread? If anything, should be 30. The Damage is fine as is with this, but the push distance should be 1.1 - 1.5 due to two shots being present. Keep Range as is. MP Cost is fine as is. Also, this one is 10x10?!

Unpowered Crystal Halberd:
Having a low damage, low push distance and low MP Cost halberd is actually a nice idea. Make the Range 3 though, with a higher Shot Speed. Still not 8x8.

Dread Scythe:
This is basically a Doom Bow of halberds, and honestly, itā€™s cool and allā€¦ but that MP Cost is way too much for what it does. Iā€™d change this to 160, and make the stat bonus +7 Att and -5 Def to make it more worth using. At the same time, the push being absent makes it nice. Still not 8x8.

Revolting Sharp:
Adding Slow to the shot is a nice touch, but you didnā€™t specify the duration. MP Cost should be 110, with a Range of 1.9 to make it harder to hit. Push Range should be 1.1 - 1.5 since it does Slow. Slow duration should be 2.5. The Speed reduction should only be 3, not 7, as this class is slow as is. Still not 8x8ā€¦

Frost Wrath:
Okay, adding Armored to an ability thatā€™s purely for damage seemsā€¦ bad. Especially when itā€™s already a tank as it is. Iā€™d simply give it a pure Defense increase of say, 15, and a Health increase of 150, for 2 Seconds. At the same time, this does not show an MP Cost. I believe it would be nice to have it as 130, with a 1.3 Second Paralyze added to it. Remove the Defense and replace it with +5 Speed, removing the -10 Speed altogether. Make the Range 1.9 as well.

My Conclusion

This is a good attempt at making a class, I have to say. But it falters in many areas, which is okay, because not every class idea is perfect. Adding a new weapon type is far too much, and thereā€™s too many UTs for it even despite it being both a Weapon and Ability. Iā€™d remove two of them altogether and go with the suggestion of giving it a sword, as well as changing the designs to be 8x8.

My Rating

6/10.

How did you make the gameplay example? Iā€™m making a class right now, and I really wanna know how you do it.

250 starting HP seems a bit high. Other than that, nice class!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.